How do I avoid muzzling my bully?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Poor Tyson has a terrible tail pocket. It's extremely deep. When he came to me it was infected and honestly I don't think I ever got it completely cleared up. He has never had his pocket cleaned prior to coming to me . I was using some antibiotic/antifungal drops the vet gave me for his ears. She said I could use them in his tail pocket too. I never did get them in very deep though as he would have a heart attack, whimper cry and run away .I can see it is kinda yeasty and appears to be itchy. He let's me clean it somewhat but when I get to the deeper part he growls and barks and whimpers. I know it hurts and needs treatment but I cant get near it now .I don't want to muzzle him , but due to his reaction, I truly believe he would bite me for holding him down and messing with it. I don't blame him an bit. I want to avoid this but a muzzle doesn't work no nose. I have wrapped my cat in a towel before to do things he hates wondering if a large blanket would work or if anyone has a better suggestion. I don't want to traumatize him, but it's getting to the point that it NEEDS fixed. I know it is my fault for letting it go this long , but with all the awful things I already had to do to him since he came I didn't want to push it and I was hoping what I was doing would be enough to keep it from getting to this point. :nope:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I hate muzzles too..but sometimes that's the only wy to handle things. Thy have soft muzzles tht aren't nearly as traumatic. Once it's cleaned and healthy, you won't need it. Poor guy.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Aww, poor guy and poor mum! I've heard that cones are a must in emergency kits so our pups won't be able to bite us if they're in pain. Maybe one will work in this situation? Same idea, right?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I have not heard of a muzzle that will actually fit and stay on a Bulldog. Maybe Tyson needs light sedation to get that tail pocket cleaned out. I'd let the vet or vet techs handle it.

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
@ Alice Kable I was afraid of that. Honestly sedation scares me way more than being bitten. I think I'd much rather just be bitten. I know light sedation is safe but he is older and you just never know =( [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] hadn't thought of that. I may have to go grab one of those and see if that works prior to going to the vet.

Last edited:

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I'd go with the cone idea. Seems much less traumatic than anything else I can think of. Or you can borrow my Shih Tzu. Gravy doesn't much like me messing with his tail pocket, but he'll let my Shih Tzu lick it clean. :*(

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
hmm the shih tzu idea seems like the best one so far

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would suggest panalog ointment after you clean it, it will kill bacteria and yeast better and faster than just using the anti bacterial ear/skin cleaner. Do you have any of that? If not call your vet and ask for some.

Let us know how it goes! :hugs:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I'd go with the cone idea. Seems much less traumatic than anything else I can think of. Or you can borrow my Shih Tzu. Gravy doesn't much like me messing with his tail pocket, but he'll let my Shih Tzu lick it clean. :*(

:ROFL: :barf:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

OH GOOD Lord -- that just is not right.... funny as heck, but not right.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
awe, I'm so sorry I can't help with any advise (i had to look up with a tail pocket is, as I've never heard of it) and hope everything works out! Good Luck

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
awe, I'm so sorry I can't help with any advise (i had to look up with a tail pocket is, as I've never heard of it) and hope everything works out! Good Luck

Now that you know where Mona's is (if she has one - Bo doesn't but Bea does), start getting her used to having it cleaned now rather than later. It will save you this trouble later! :)

[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION] - Poor Tyson! He's sure had more than his share of troubles, hasn't he? Maybe you can introduce the muzzle so it's not a negative? I don't believe for a minute that Tyson wants to bite you - and maybe having the muzzle on during these maintenance duties will take that pressure off of him to try to "defend himself"? What can you do - that he loves - while the muzzle is on/near him? Do that first - then do maintenance - and then finish on a positive note with the same fun thing that he likes?

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
OK so I called the vet about panalog. She said that the meds I have are for infection and to try those first. Well actually she said bring him in and they would do it , but I am aware that would require either sedation or more stress and manhandling than I want him put through so I said no thank you. I decided just to get my boyfriend to hold him while I did it. We wrapped a blanket around his shoulders /neck area in kind of a roll to make it harder for him to turn his head and the bf held him while I cleaned/medicated it. He wasn't happy and he did snap a bit and cry but it's done and no one is worse for the wear. He got string cheese during and after and this seemed to help. Now we just repeat this several time and he should be ok ? Fingers crossed.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.