cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Last night and this a.m. Finn had several seconds where he was having problems breathing thru his nostrils, at least that is what it looked like to me. Scared me enough to keep a close eye on him and monitor him through last night. He may have had 2-3 times of doing that. Seems it happens when he gets excited. It looks like someone having an asthma attack but it's the nose part, not thru the mouth.

This a.m. it happened once again. I'm wondering if it's allergenic, and if it can be from the very dry air we've been experiencing? or is this a possible food related thing? i admit i've been giving him pieces of a yogurt cake i made recently which i'm stopping now...maybe the sugar?...i don't know...i'm just trying to find an explanation.

Has anyone had such symptoms w/their bulldog before? I'm thinking i may need to take him to the vet to get a check up. I'm working myself up into worry thinking it may be the beginnings of an infection of pneumonia.
Otherwise, he's very normal...eating well, poops/pees normal, playful.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
My money is on reverse sneezing. Mugsy does this more than Cutty and it seems to be seasonally as if allergies. Nothing to worry about but it is scary the first few times til you get used to it. Look for it on youtube and I bet that will help put you at ease.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh Henny..I'm sure you barely slept all night. I don't have any idea what this could be. I'd research what Jenn said and hang in there..I'm sure someone will have some info for you. I think my vet did mention if they have pallet issues it can affect their breathing. Does he have n elongated pallet? Just throwing that out there! :hug:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION], thanku, i will look up "reverse sneezing". I've never heard about this before til this a.m. when i googled what Finn was experiencing and that term came up. I sure hope that is all it is. It is scary...even Tate reacted concerned...he started licking Finn's face when Finn was doing that.

[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION], you're right, i didn't sleep much but mainly 'cuz those two rascals woke up in the middle of the night to play and rip apart one of my pillows! there was pillow filling everywhere!! i bought two new pillows over the wknd and if i have to put on a steel pillowcase over them, then that's what i'll do! they love filling!!!

i do not know if Finn has an elongated pallate or not...i'll have to ask the vet the next time we go. Oh these bullys sure keep us on our toes, don't they?

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
I agree with [MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] it sounds exactly like the reverse sneeze, and yes, it is very scary the first few times they do it!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Looking at the You Tube video examples of reverse sneezing...yes, it looks very much like what Finn was doing. Thanks guys...i feel much relief now.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
My Rocco has been doing this since he was a puppy. Every once in a while he starts gasping (sucking in air through his nose) as though he has trouble breathing. It only last for 20 seconds at the most and then he seems fine. It sorta is like the asthma, but doesn't seem to cause Rocco any distress. The first time he did this, I was freaked out - but now when it happens I just try to calm him down and make sure he is breathing fine. If this is happening in the middle of the night- it could be related to sleep apnea (which I think our breed is know for). I wouldn't think a special appt to the vet is needed if his breathing is totally normal now - but mention it for sure next time you have a checkup.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes it is normal and nothing to worry about if it is reverse sneezing. And they can all sound different too. Mugsy is the worst and most extreme. Cutty has done it but it is almost so mild you dont realize what it is he is doing. In fact Mugsy did it last night a tiny bit. Sept thru now seems to be the season for it here anyhow for us. He only does it a couple times a year thankfully.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yap that's what it sounds like a reverse sneeze. They are scary the first time you hear them. Missy the Beagle would do that when she would be outside and her nose in the grass smelling something and I would tell her that's what you get. haha Buddy will do it sometimes. Not to worry, it's normal.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I agree with everyone else... reverse sneezing.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Sounds like reverse sneezing. My Frenchton does it more often than my bullies. BabyGirl just did this yesterday for the first time. Even though I recognized it, it still startled me as I had never seen her do it before. Wilson, occasionally. I reacted the same way as most...it scared me and I just watch till it subsides. Read somewhere if you rub their nose it will stop it but I rubbed BabyGirls and she still did it for a little while and then it went away. It's just a dog thing I guess. :D

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh boy Henny I sure hope it's just the reverse sneezing. I've never heard of that and will have to google it to see if there are any videos to watch on it. I wouldn't have sleep a wink either. Wilson's had that snort breathing sound but that only happens if he is looking up too much (he has a short neck). Scary indeed!!! :hug:

@JAKEISGREAT , you're right, i didn't sleep much but mainly 'cuz those two rascals woke up in the middle of the night to play and rip apart one of my pillows! there was pillow filling everywhere!! i bought two new pillows over the wknd and if i have to put on a steel e over them, then that's what i'll do! they love filling

Now on another note, I got a good little laugh at the visual of your two hooligans ripping apart a pillow in the middle of the night - so not cool. :laugh:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.