Demodex... again? you're kidding me.

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
Mildred (Millie, mildew, mil- a- stroni)
Hey everyone!

I just took Millie (11 months old) to the vet on friday because she had pyroderma on her chin. After the 70 dollar antibiotic it seems to be healing pretty well. I'm extremely frustrated because literally while in the exam room I noticed she had some thinning patches along her back that were only really noticeable from the right angle. She had demodex about 5 months ago and we treated it with Invomectrin (sp?) and antibiotics for ~ 5 weeks. After all the hair grew back normally. While we were there for the acne I pointed it out to the vet and she said it could be related to the chin pyroderma (which seemed like a longshot to me :cursing:). And she didn't want to have to shave an area to take a skin scraping. Now three days later her back seems even more patchy... and I know I'm going to end up going back to the vet for a skin scraping and the whole nine yards by next week.

Does anyone have experience with multiple demodex treatments? Our vet kind of suggested that it doesn't hurt her in anyway so she doesn't find it immediately necessary to treat... despite the fact that we had to treat for the last one because my poor dumpling was bald mess. Is there anything like a supplement I should be feeding her? She currently eats Merrick's Before Grain Chicken. The vet said it was an immune issue that she might just have for the rest of her life... which is so frustrating. I hate the idea of having to give her antibiotics so often. Any ideas?

thanks for your help,
Katie + Balding Mildred :cry:

ziviabell

May 22, 2011
Orange County, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hershie
I'm just taking a stab at this, but maybe she's allergic to chicken. A lot of bulldogs are. I'm not saying it's not demodex, it sounds like it is, but I give my bullie salmon oil and it helps her skin a lot. Best of luck. I hope she gets better soon.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo was scaped for demodex mange back when he had his neuter. Dr. Terry only found three adult bugs so we did not treat. Most dogs get some and you don't even notice really as they grow out of it just as quickly. He didn't see eggs or larve and I supported not putting a chemical in/on him if it was unneccessary. At that time, I asked about the awful "dips" that are prescribed for this and he advised that this practice is no longer necessary. He ordered a lotion called "Pyoben Gel" and sent me off with some antibiotics. A couple of weeks later, I go pick up the gel; a good thing because the little "spots" on his face had gotten a bit worse and there are new ones. (Demodex occurs primarily on the face.) I try to apply some daily to his little spotty areas - but often skip a day - but I am seeing some improvement. I'm happy to dab a little lotion around over having Bo endure the chemical dips of yore.

I have to wonder tho: would the dips have "cured" this from the onset? For a while there his little face was looking pretty icky to me! I hate it when my dogs look "uncared for". (Personal pet peeve) I will also let ya'll know when the magic tear stain fairy arrives and works her magic.....because that's what it's gonna take I think for Bea..... *frown*

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Brooklyn had demodex just once. Yes, having a lowered immune system is what causes it. And between the infection on her chin and the antibiotics it probably won't get better on its own. Maybe do ivermectin again if it worked well last time, which you stated 5 weeks and that's A LOT better than some. I would also suggest salmon oil, as [MENTION=2435]ziviabell[/MENTION] did above. It boosts their immune system, is good for their joints, and makes their hair grow back in sooo perfect. Good luck!

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Oh no! Im still fighting my first round with the awful demodex, my 5 month old bully Guinness is looking pretty bald around the head and on the front of all his legs at the moment but the infected spots seem to have responded to the antibiotics. Hes on week 5 of Dectomax shots this week and my vet said he hoped to see improvement in hair growth etc by xmas with the continued shots and twice weekly medicated shampooing. I hope if yours is a remission that it gets caught really early, I wish I hadnt listened to the first vet at his last vaccination who said spots on puppies was "normal", one week later and he was almost full blown generalised demodex complete with a secondary infection:( Guinny is now on Canidae Grain Free Pure Elements and daily fish oil tablets in a desperate attempt to boost immunity and his hair growth again. How long before you had significant hair growth again after your first bout?

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
How long before you had significant hair growth again after your first bout?

we did a the imovectrin pill two times a day and an antibiotic for the secondary bacterial infection- and i want to say we saw an improvement within in 2 weeks. We treated for 5 because the vet wanted to make sure it was gone.

OP
Vermont Millie

Vermont Millie

May 19, 2011
Southern, Vermont
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm pretty sure this is not a chicken allergy- as the spots look exactly the same as last time and she had no allergy symptoms for over 4 months between this patchiness and the last. If it were a chicken allergy I'd think that she would have had some sign between now and then. She also has no tearing issues or paw licking. But could anyone give me an idea of a food with little or no chicken but also grain free? I
Also do people suggest fish oil or salmon oil... I've seen both thrown around and I'm wondering if I can give her some of my own daily fish oil. Thanks for your help

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Fromm Beef Frittata is grain and chicken free.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I'm pretty sure this is not a chicken allergy- as the spots look exactly the same as last time and she had no allergy symptoms for over 4 months between this patchiness and the last. If it were a chicken allergy I'd think that she would have had some sign between now and then. She also has no tearing issues or paw licking. But could anyone give me an idea of a food with little or no chicken but also grain free? I
Also do people suggest fish oil or salmon oil... I've seen both thrown around and I'm wondering if I can give her some of my own daily fish oil. Thanks for your help

My Girl, Banks is highly allergic to chicken and we recently changed from raw feed to Fromm Beef Frittata --- she is doing great on it. Also, yes, you can give your fish oil pills, that is what Banks gets 1200mg 2x a day.

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi BullyMamma - I have had my bout with Demodex as well. My bully is now 17 months old - but we had a very bad generalized case when he was about 8 months old. We did the Mitoban dips. Our vet said normally we could treat with the oral ivermectin (SP?) because it was such a bad case (My research said that if this goes untreated and caused generlized infection it could be fatal!!! aack!). I followed our Vets advice and did 3 dips 2 weeks apart. They are very toxic and can cause "neurological issues" - I think that means seizures. LUCKILY - Rocco did not have any problems with his dips. I had our vet take excellent care of him, and he was assigned a special technician to watch him very carefully for 4-6 hours while the dip dried. I prayed and prayed every time I had to drop him off and wait to hear if he was ready to be picked up and all went well. The doc said that with this aggressive treatment we should not have any further issues and he was right. Because I'm a worry wart - I actually had him scraped 3 more times over the next 7 months just to make sure he didn't have the mites. No mites!!!! now he is almost 18 months the vet said his immune system should be strong enough to not have this be a problem for him. His hair took about 4-6 weeks to grow back in the various patches he lost hair (face, head, sides, legs). He is perfect now - so hang in there. I have heard fish oil works - but haven't tried it. Also - he was still having hives after the demodex scrapes were gone - so we put him on Revolution to get any other flea, ticks or mites that the Mitaban didn't catch and he is doing great. I do this 1 x per month.

Anyway - you can see my various stories on here about our experience. Good luck and please keep us posted!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.