My "Tater Tot" is Hearing Impaired....

tatersmiles

Oct 29, 2011
My 12 week old Bully is hearing impaired and it is going to be a bit of a challenge to train her. I know that I can sign some commands, but I would really love to know if any of you have a hearing impaired bully and how you have trained...and any references to training material or trainers would be appreciated..Thanks much :)

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
First :welcome: to EBN!! I don't the first thing about hearing impaired dogs so I'm not much help there. I know there's others here that can help you out. I would try posting this in the "Your Bulldog's Health" section too, more will see your post. My best to Tater Tot. Oh yeah, we like pictures here so post up when you can. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Love your pup pictures in your album.... tater Tot has a great name a a handsome face. best of luck with him --- sorry, I do not have any experience with hearing impaired, but there are others here who do.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Welcome to the site and would like to see from pics of Tater Tot. I don't have experience with hearing impaired dogs but I know some people here have and should give advice soon.

OP
T

tatersmiles

Oct 29, 2011
111411120833.jpg111211144337.jpg111411121835.jpg112011141116.jpg120511160513.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
LOVE her.. she is so precious

Last edited:
OP
T

tatersmiles

Oct 29, 2011
My Tater is a girl :) ....but came from a litter where she was the only girl...she's a tuffy !

Alice Kable

Community Veteran
Dec 17, 2010
Joseph, Oregon, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruggles and Buster
Tater is a beauty. Welcome to both of you. I, also, have no experience with a truely hearing impaired pup. (My 8&1/2 year old Mack has always behaved like he is.) Someone will pick up on this thread who knows something!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Tater Tot is SO cute ... I have a real thing for all-white wrinkly bullies!!! Just :luv: them!!! I too am not much use when it comes to hearing impaired bullies ... hopefully somebody on here will offer you some advice soon!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Tater Tot sure is a cutie. Sorry don't know about hearing impaired issues. Good thing you're looking into it cause she sure is worth it!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Welcome! Your Tater is beeeeutiful! I also have no experience with hearing impairment in dogs. I'm sure someone here will come along to help. It's a great thing for ALL of us to learn about!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I had a completely deaf great dane and when I managed the daycare we fostered a littler of deaf american bullies. Honestly it is no different training them than a regular dog , you just use hand signals instead of words. We used Standard american sign language because it was easier for the people who adopted them , but you can make up your own. The only thing that you need to work on is sneaking up behind your pup. Deaf dogs can startle when touched from behind because they don't know you are there. Sneak up behind your pup a few times a day and touch or gently grab her and then give her a treat immediately. This will prevent any future issues. Remember she doens't know he's deaf, it's you that needs the training :p

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I had a completely deaf great dane and when I managed the daycare we fostered a littler of deaf american bullies. Honestly it is no different training them than a regular dog , you just use hand signals instead of words. We used Standard american sign language because it was easier for the people who adopted them , but you can make up your own. The only thing that you need to work on is sneaking up behind your pup. Deaf dogs can startle when touched from behind because they don't know you are there. Sneak up behind your pup a few times a day and touch or gently grab her and then give her a treat immediately. This will prevent any future issues. Remember she doens't know he's deaf, it's you that needs the training :p

That's such wonderful advice. And I love the last line. :heart:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online