Help with Cherry Eye...I think

JLamp

Nov 16, 2011
Hello everyone. We just got our Capone a little over a week ago. He is a little over 9weeks at the moment and when we got back from the store we noticed it looks like he has cherry eye. Did some research online but figured I would check in here to see what info everyone can give me. Is surgery the only option to fix this. I tried to massage it back in based on a few help videos I have seen, however with all the info I have seen surgery seems like the fix however my little guy is so young. Any help is appreciated!! Thanks!

Justin

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Welcome, do you have a picture you can share?

OP
J

JLamp

Nov 16, 2011
photo.jpghow about this...its kinda a small image..

OP
J

JLamp

Nov 16, 2011
photo.jpg
Here you go this is a little larger...Thanks!

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
That is definately a cherry eye. Some do require surgery. I'm sure someone here will be able to give you some info.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes... cherry eye. If you can not massage it back, it may need surgery, but have a vet look at it and get their opinion on it. Since he is so young, it may be, if surgery is required, it can wait and be done the same time you have him neutered.

Terry

Jan 16, 2011
Central Valley, California
Bulldog(s) Names
Bubbles
Check U-Tube they can show you how to massage it in. It might even go back in when he sleeps. Our vet was able to show us how to massage it in.

OP
J

JLamp

Nov 16, 2011
We took him to the vet tonight..she gave him an ointment to try to calm the cherry eye for a bit before rubbing it in. She didn't however show us how to massage it in and she suggested surgery to get it taken care of. I'd rather get it taken care of cause even though it may not be all that much of an issue for him he certainly looks sad with it on there :( anyone had the surgery done for their dog? Just curious what to expect and how long the recovery is. Thanks!

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
While I haven't experienced this,lots of people here have! I know often it's done when they neuter or spay, in order to save an extra surgery. Hang I there, someone will give you some advice.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome [MENTION=3728]JLamp[/MENTION]! Capone is a cutie.

Cherry eye looks a lot worse than it really is - at least that's been the general concensus on other threads on the topic. The fewer surgeries - or rather, exposure to anethesia - the better for your little guy. Hopefully you can manage until he's ready to neuter. That's the most prudent route.

Looking forward to more pics and stories about Capone.

Our new addition had a cherry eye pop up on Saturday. By Monday, it was huge. I took him to vet first think Monday morning. The vet said she had never seen on that large and would require surgery. She did attempt to massage it back but it was extremely large. He had surgery today. Was quick surgery. He came home at 4pm today and has not settled down at all. The vet had said that it would be visible for a few weeks until the swelling went down. However, the only sign that he even had one is the cone collar. He is on ointment and pain meds and requires followup in a week. I have to say I feel better now that he had the surgery. He is 11 weeks old. One vet had suggested having him neutered at the same time but our doctor recommended waiting on the neutering as he was too young for too much anesthesia. What you have to worry about is that the cherry eye is exposed to the elements and not protected. If infection sets in, you have much greater risk of other issues or blindness.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
That is a small cherry eye as of now anyhow. It is so sad looking isnt it? Miila just had hers done when she got spayed. Does it go back in on its own at all? Hers would come and go thru the day so it wasnt horrible but i figured if she was being spayed anyhow why not fix it. I do not recommend having the surgery just to have it unless like the previous poster needed to with it being so big. Also there are 2 types of surgeries they do, 1 remove the gland (this is the least desirable cuz it causes dry eye and requires drops for the rest of their life I believe to keep the eye moist.) Or they can tack it in place, the option I chose. This however sometimes doesnt hold. BUT is better for the eye itself and doesnt need the drops after. Recovery was easy for Miila but she happened to scratch her eye after having it somehow so she has been wearing her cone for some time, poor thing. As young as your baby is you have plenty of time to see how it turns out if left alone before worrying about surgery anyhow. I would def wait to have it one when you get your baby fixed tho, assuming you plan to.

OP
J

JLamp

Nov 16, 2011
Hello eveyone...Thanks for the responses. After visiting with the vet who gave us ointment for his eye twice daily on last Tuesday...On Thurs we noticed the cherry eye decreased significantly and was able to massage it back in. We are continuing on the ointment however he looks amazing. It hasn't popped back out and so far so good. Lets hope for the good to continue :)

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh thats such wonderful news. ive heard some go back in and some dont and require surgery. im so glad things are looking good now. oh and welcome to the forum :D

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
annie had 1 eye done by the vet but the other 1 we massaged back and it didnt return that was over a year ago so up to now its worked,youtube how to do it its easy lol,karen

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online