Clavamox antiobiotic questio

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
So Macy had an infected umbilical cord and the vet but her on clavamox antiobiotic. 62.5mg 2 c day for 12 days. We are only have way through and her diarrehea is back as well as her acting neurotic and dragging her bottom across the carpet. This is the second night of this behavior. Her bottom is clean and so is her tail pocket. Even put gold bond up in tail pocket. No help. Have also gave her some plain yogurt daily and no help. She is 11 weeks. Don't think its her anal glands needing expressed either. No worms noticed in poo. What else should i do?

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I'm so sorry..I don't know..but hang in there..someone will help! I'll tag a couple people..[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] ..and [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] ..(she's a pharmacist) might know reactions..hang in there

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks has been on Clavamox several times, but never had any side effects -- sorry can't help. I hope she feels better soon

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It is common for dogs to experience loose stools or diarrhea with Clavamox. If the diarrhea is severe or lasts longer than 3 days, contact your veterinarian. This would explain the scooting also.

Last edited:
OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Thanks guys! She was doing so much better until this neurotic behavior started. I appreciate all the advice I can get.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
She has had the diarrhea symptom since her third dose. She is drinking good and seems to be eating ok even though it does seem to be a little less than before starting the medicine.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Make sure Macy is taking the med with food to ease any GI discomfort. Like David said, diarrhea is a common side effect, as is nausea, and sometimes even hyperactivity. All the best to sweet Macy!

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Thank you. I do give the tablets to her about 15 min after she eats. No vomitting yet thank goodness and she's normally hyper so i can't tell a difference. Lol. But the butt dragging crazy behavior is killing us and driving her crazy too! Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Since she is so young I would also deworm her just to be certain. Just because you don't see them in the poo does not mean there are none, because they don't like to leave the host (unless they are dead!). Worms are common in puppies, it really depends on the deworming done by the breeder.

Example, in my litter of pups, they love to bite each others tails, step in each others poo, then step in the water, then pup takes a drink, cycle starts again. They should be wormed all throughout their stay with the breeder and then get a fecal test done once they are home with you to make sure there is no worms and most important-- no worm eggs.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Thanks! At the same vet visit that clavamox was given she was also given a deworming and puppy booster i was told. Also started her on frontline and heartguard. That's why i didn't think it could be worms.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.