Tear stain battle!!! Help please?!?

Winstonstudlyboy

Nov 27, 2011
Ogden, UT
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Okay so I am in the middle of this tear stain battle with Winston's wrinkles! It sort of consists of me wiping his little nose rope twice a day with a dry paper towel, then a antibacterial pad the vet gave me, then going back over it with a paper towel "just to clear up any left over moisture." What I am wondering is will this be something I have to deal with for ever!?? It is not the wiping part that gets on my nerves. I am okay with puppy maintenance! Itis just that they aren't getting better! I would love these tear stains to go away! They aren't the worst tear stains I have seen but it still bothers me that they are there! It seems like they are not getting any worse but they aren't getting any better either! Does anyone have any suggestions?? Please help!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I have started using Apple Cider Vinegar in their drinking water. 1 Tblsp per bowl. Seems to be starting to work.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It could be just seasonal, or more than likely it's what he is eating. Either his food or his treats. I would change his treats first for about a week or two, to see if it clears up, then try a food change. The handler we use for Sexy Girl was giving her one treat that we discovered was giving her tear stains. She stopped giving them to her and they cleared up.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Like @Davidh said, you need to find out the cause of the excessive tearing. Wiping it, keeping it clean, applying medication, etc., is basically like a band-aid on a wound. It doesn't explain why the wound is there in the first place.

Here are some of the most common causes of excessive tears:
1.) allergies (environmental or food related)
2.) blocked tear ducts
3.) teething (realignment of the jaw could cause the skeleton to press on the tear ducts)
4.) ear infections
5.) minerals in the water
6.) fleas

You can change some things to see if that's what may be causing it - for example, to determine if it's the minerals in the water, you can give him filtered or bottled water and see if that eliminates the tear stains, etc.

Make sense?

HrsDiva

I wear my bulldog heart on my sleeve
Community Veteran
Jul 6, 2011
Gravette Arkansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Colonel 5 yrs (2011 -Current) Ella May (2012 - Current ) RIP Bebe 8 yrs (2011 - 2014)
Like @Davidh said, you need to find out the cause of the excessive tearing. Wiping it, keeping it clean, applying medication, etc., is basically like a band-aid on a wound. It doesn't explain why the wound is there in the first place.

Here are some of the most common causes of excessive tears:
1.) allergies (environmental or food related)
2.) blocked tear ducts
3.) teething (realignment of the jaw could cause the skeleton to press on the tear ducts)
4.) ear infections
5.) minerals in the water
6.) fleas

You can change some things to see if that's what may be causing it - for example, to determine if it's the minerals in the water, you can give him filtered or bottled water and see if that eliminates the tear stains, etc.

Make sense?

Awsome reaponse!!!! If my phone would let me like it I would...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Members online