Gonna start Jack on Benedryl...

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
For the last couple weeks, Jacks eyes have been watering so much
that his wrinkles have gotten rust color.
I dont want to switch his food cause it looks like he is really thriving on LAMB meal (from Instinct L.I.B.)

When I had him on Salmon meal, his tear stains were non existant but he had bumbs all over his neck and rear legs.. :(

Anyways, today I decided its time to start him on Benedryl and I'm hoping that it will help dry his eyes.. poor fella... :(

My question is,

1) If I buy the generic form of Benedryl
(Diphenhydramine HCI 25 Mg) will it work just as effective.? Can't hurt to try but I would hate to waste a week or two waiting to see if it would work..
I purchased a 600 tablet bottle for only $9 online (Amazon.com)

2) Jack is weighing about 45 - 50 lbs. Is one tablet a day
enough.?

Any thoughts ?
Thanks guys..! :lubu:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The generic works just as well as the name brand.... dosage 50 mg 2x per day

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I was thinking of starting Tonka on Benadryl for the same reason. He is 5 months old and has had watery eyes since we got him and his tear stains are getting bad. He seems to be doing fine on his food (Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish). He does have a few little bumps occasionally on his chin and near his mouth and sometimes under his chin near his neck but I think they might be little acne bumps?? They go away after a short IMG_1225.jpgwhile. I'm a new bully owner so I have never seen what acne on a dog looks like before vs. other types of bumps.

Is it OK to try 25 mg a day for a 30 lb., 5 month old puppy? I really don't think his food is the issue. Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I was thinking of starting Tonka on Benadryl for the same reason. He is 5 months old and has had watery eyes since we got him and his tear stains are getting bad. He seems to be doing fine on his food (Natural Balance Sweet potato and fish). He does have a few little bumps occasionally on his chin and near his mouth and sometimes under his chin near his neck but I think they might be little acne bumps?? They go away after a short while. I'm a new bully owner so I have never seen what acne on a dog looks like before vs. other types of bumps.
Is it OK to try 25 mg a day for a 30 lb., 5 month old puppy? I really don't think his food is the issue. Thanks!

Hi welcome to EBN... your little man is a cutie! You can do 25mg 2x a day (rule of thumb 1mg per pound).

As for the chin -- are you using stainless steel bowls? Plastic and ceramic can cause the issue, or at least add to it. Also, wipe his chin/neck/face after he drinks. One of the biggest maintance items for bullies is keeping everything dry (folds, face, chin, tail pocket, etc. etc.)

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
The generic works just as well as the name brand.... dosage 50 mg 2x per day

Yep. That is correct ! Maximus is on Benadryl also, and he is 72-lbs. and he gets 50 mg 2x per day just as 2BullyMama indicated.
Yes, as she indicated, the generic is equivalent to the exact same active ingredient as the name brand.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
yes that is the correct dosage but you can start lower if you want. i am the biggest worry wart about giving sarah medicine. sometimes i give sarah one pill sometimes its 2 sometimes none depending on how she is doing that day. maybe start with one pill twice a day see how he does then you can go to two. i use the generic all the time and no problems. good luck

Last edited:
OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Ok so I started him last nite on Benedryl. Its a Huge Family Size bottle containing 600 pills.! ... Anyways, my daughter accidently knocked the open bottle yesterday and all the pills went scattering on my tiled floor...

Needless to say, We all went frantic picking them up before Jack saw what had happened.
He saw us hurrying up to pick them up and he must have thought it was a game. He came running over and started picking them up too! How cute was that...:D

Anyways, I counted only 524 pills back in the bottle.
Minus the 2 that i had given Jack, that leaves 74 missing pills...

Gosh, I hate when I lose stuff.:cursing:

And by the way, ¿ does Benedryl make you sleep longer than usual..? Jack slept the entire nite and when I left this morning to work, he was still snoring! Sounded like my Dad... :lol:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I could be wrong so correct me if I am but I believe the dosage is 1 benedryl (or generic) for each 25 pounds of dog given twice a day. So if you have a 50+ pound dog you would give 2pills, twice a day.

Also, giving benedryl or any other antihistamine is for temporary relief. You should make an attempt to find out what is causing the problem and try to correct it. I have been told that too much antihistamine for too long may cause your dog to get dry eye which is another bag of worms altogether. We give HRH AND me generic benedryl when allergies warrant it.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes,,, it makes some people sleepy.. so dogs too I would assume...Id be VERY worried if I suspected that my dog ate all those pills.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Gosh I hope you found the missing pills, that could be very dangerous!! And yes as everyone has said generic is the same that's what I buy. Our vet recommends 1 25mg. pill for each 25lbs. Vegas weighs 63 so he can have 50 mg. twice a day, and yes it makes them sleepy.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Well if Jack is like my pups he wont just eat a pill for his life. (hopefully) Nothing else to add cuz everyone has said it all. Hope it helps tho! [MENTION=3445]Meggs19[/MENTION] if the bumps are on the chin area then more likely than not it is acne and you can actually use stridex pads on it if needed. Aside from the other advice you got. ;)

OP
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
[MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1034]BruceP[/MENTION]

Thanks Guys... I will start with 2 pills a day for Jack.
I was just kidding about the missing pills. I have a weird sense of humor
sometimes and not everyone is on board my crazy train... :lol:

Seriously though, The 2 pills can be given at one time.? Or say, 8 hours apart.

Thanks again.....

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
@KMARINO and @BruceP

Thanks Guys... I will start with 2 pills a day for Jack.
I was just kidding about the missing pills. I have a weird sense of humor
sometimes and not everyone is on board my crazy train... :lol:

Seriously though, The 2 pills can be given at one time.? Or say, 8 hours apart.

Thanks again.....

One pill for each 25 pounds of dog, given twice a day... so if your dog is 50 pounds you would give her/him 2 pills in the morning and 2 pills at night. Princess Gracie is 40 pounds so we give her 1 in the morning and 1 at night just to be on the safe side. It works for her.

But,,,,, we only give her benedryl if she really is in need of relief.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
OMG you kill it! haha I was like how do you lose so many pills?!?! As if you really counted out the 524 right? lol. Yes 2 at 1 time, that is a dosage. Then the next dosage would be 2 more. ;)

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION], I KNEW you were BS'ing!! But then I had to second guess myself!! Especially when you said Jack "helped" you pick them up!! You got me!!!! :tease: I do spread his out to around 10 hours apart but that is just me. I only give him 2 when he is really bad.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online