HELP! Max threw up . . What are your thoughts?

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
It is 12:30PM. I just got home from shopping and find that Maximus threw up. The thing that concerns me is that he has not had food since last night at about 8:30 PM . What he threw up was semi-digested dry kibble. I would have thought that this food which he ate well over 12-hours ago would have long left his stomach.

I have changed his diet over a week ago to Raw Frozen, and he has not had any reaction thus far to the change in diet, so this may be just a freak thing. Perhaps he just ate too much kibble last nite on top of the Raw diet he has been getting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ... ?

Thanks for your help.

- Patrick

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
My guys are solely on the raw whole prey diet, so it's a little different from what you're doing - all raw, no kibble and not ground. But I remember that when they switched, they did have some regurgitation in the beginning. Thinking that it's due to their system getting used to it. Punkin switch more than a month ago and he ceased having those moments about a couple of weeks after he started.

How are Max's stools? Are they firm or soft? I have read that too much food can also cause the throw ups and soft stools. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the kibble/raw ratios and amounts as I'm not familiar with it.

Mack-N-MatildasMommy

Bulldog Spoiler
Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Moore, OK
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
I have read when doing any kind of raw to do it all, no transitioning. I agree with [MENTION=1209]savemejeebus[/MENTION] that he will regurjitate until he he gets used to it. Maybe a week. Matilda went straight to raw.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
he needs to go full raw in my opinion ,raw digests a lot quicker than kibble and even though your spacing the feeds out kibble can last up to 12 hour in the stomache ,some dogs can do both feeds and some cant ,karen

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Looking back on that day, Maximus just had way to much food that day .....he had kibble, then raw, then more kibble. It was to much food. I'm now going by the
manufacturer's directives and only giving him the correct number of raw medallions and only 1/2-cup of kibble, based on his current weight. So far, today has been
good and there are no further signs of vomiting.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Looking back on that day, Maximus just had way to much food that day .....he had kibble, then raw, then more kibble. It was to much food. I'm now going by the
manufacturer's directives and only giving him the correct number of raw medallions and only 1/2-cup of kibble, based on his current weight. So far, today has been

Thanks for the update, great to know that he's doing better. It's funny how sensitive our guys are, isn't it. Stig threw up a little in the middle of the night too because he ate just a few ounces more than usual for dinner. Sheesh. :)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Great to hear it was nothing serious and just to much 'turkey on Thanksgiving'....

OP
Maximus

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Well, just when I thought the problem was over ........it started all over again! Now Max is throwing up his Raw Food Diet. So I'm not sure whether this is a clear indicator that he just can't tolerate the Raw Frozen Diet, or that he can't have a large amount of it at one time. Normally, I've been giving him 9 medallions of the Venison or Bison formula at meal time. But today, he threw up 2x. He has not had any kibble today at all. He has been on this new diet almost 2-weeks.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help .

- Patrick

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, just when I thought the problem was over ........it started all over again! Now Max is throwing up his Raw Food Diet. So I'm not sure whether this is a clear indicator that he just can't tolerate the Raw Frozen Diet, or that he can't have a large amount of it at one time. Normally, I've been giving him 9 medallions of the Venison or Bison formula at meal time. But today, he threw up 2x. He has not had any kibble today at all. He has been on this new diet almost 2-weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help . - Patrick

Seems you already realize the issue... cut out the raw totally and see how he does with just kibble for all meals. I was doing a raw diet made specifically for Banks and after two years, I had to take her off of it because she developed colitis. She is now on Fromm Beef... two weeks and so far so good. Diet is a continuous battle with our bullies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.