Thread: HELP! Max threw up . . What are your thoughts?

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Default HELP! Max threw up . . What are your thoughts?

It is 12:30PM. I just got home from shopping and find that Maximus threw up. The thing that concerns me is that he has not had food since last night at about 8:30 PM . What he threw up was semi-digested dry kibble. I would have thought that this food which he ate well over 12-hours ago would have long left his stomach.

I have changed his diet over a week ago to Raw Frozen, and he has not had any reaction thus far to the change in diet, so this may be just a freak thing. Perhaps he just ate too much kibble last nite on top of the Raw diet he has been getting.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this ... ?

Thanks for your help.

- Patrick

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Default Re: HELP! Max threw up . . What are your thoughts?

My guys are solely on the raw whole prey diet, so it's a little different from what you're doing - all raw, no kibble and not ground. But I remember that when they switched, they did have some regurgitation in the beginning. Thinking that it's due to their system getting used to it. Punkin switch more than a month ago and he ceased having those moments about a couple of weeks after he started.

How are Max's stools? Are they firm or soft? I have read that too much food can also cause the throw ups and soft stools. Unfortunately, I can't recommend the kibble/raw ratios and amounts as I'm not familiar with it.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog Spoiler Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tamara
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Matilda A.K.A Sassy Pants & Mighty Mack A.K.A. Fat Peanut
    Likes (Received)

I have read when doing any kind of raw to do it all, no transitioning. I agree with @savemejeebus that he will regurjitate until he he gets used to it. Maybe a week. Matilda went straight to raw.

Who wouldn't love that face???

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

he needs to go full raw in my opinion ,raw digests a lot quicker than kibble and even though your spacing the feeds out kibble can last up to 12 hour in the stomache ,some dogs can do both feeds and some cant ,karen

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Looking back on that day, Maximus just had way to much food that day .....he had kibble, then raw, then more kibble. It was to much food. I'm now going by the
    manufacturer's directives and only giving him the correct number of raw medallions and only 1/2-cup of kibble, based on his current weight. So far, today has been
    good and there are no further signs of vomiting.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
    Looking back on that day, Maximus just had way to much food that day .....he had kibble, then raw, then more kibble. It was to much food. I'm now going by the
    manufacturer's directives and only giving him the correct number of raw medallions and only 1/2-cup of kibble, based on his current weight. So far, today has been
    Thanks for the update, great to know that he's doing better. It's funny how sensitive our guys are, isn't it. Stig threw up a little in the middle of the night too because he ate just a few ounces more than usual for dinner. Sheesh.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Great to hear it was nothing serious and just to much 'turkey on Thanksgiving'....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Well, just when I thought the problem was over ........it started all over again! Now Max is throwing up his Raw Food Diet. So I'm not sure whether this is a clear indicator that he just can't tolerate the Raw Frozen Diet, or that he can't have a large amount of it at one time. Normally, I've been giving him 9 medallions of the Venison or Bison formula at meal time. But today, he threw up 2x. He has not had any kibble today at all. He has been on this new diet almost 2-weeks.

Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help .

- Patrick

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Well, just when I thought the problem was over ........it started all over again! Now Max is throwing up his Raw Food Diet. So I'm not sure whether this is a clear indicator that he just can't tolerate the Raw Frozen Diet, or that he can't have a large amount of it at one time. Normally, I've been giving him 9 medallions of the Venison or Bison formula at meal time. But today, he threw up 2x. He has not had any kibble today at all. He has been on this new diet almost 2-weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks for all your help . - Patrick
    Seems you already realize the issue... cut out the raw totally and see how he does with just kibble for all meals. I was doing a raw diet made specifically for Banks and after two years, I had to take her off of it because she developed colitis. She is now on Fromm Beef... two weeks and so far so good. Diet is a continuous battle with our bullies.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Remove Ads