Tail pocket cleaning

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
Im starting to think I will need to clean Lambys tail pocket. She has been really clean with it until recently. What should I cleaning it with? It is not infected.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Many things you can use, baby wipes and then dry it out. There's many many products to clean folds, wrinkles and tail pockets. sometimes I use a solution of apple cider vinegar 50/50 with water, or witchazel on cotton ball. even antibacterial soap and water will do, most importantly is to keep it dry, dry , dry and occasionally I put a little
Desitine on my finger and run it through the pocket. Remember to keep that brown gunk from growing in there.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
if sarahs is not infected then some babywipes and dry it and maybe some desitin if needed. [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] has given good suggestions. if sarahs is infected i use chloraseb on a cottonball and some hydrocortisone for itching.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Many things you can use, baby wipes and then dry it out. There's many many products to clean folds, wrinkles and tail pockets. sometimes I use a solution of apple cider vinegar 50/50 with water, or witchazel on cotton ball. even antibacterial soap and water will do, most importantly is to keep it dry, dry , dry and occasionally I put a little
Desitine on my finger and run it through the pocket. Remember to keep that brown gunk from growing in there.

all great advice

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I dunno about that (raw vinegar) but I do know that complete and regular cleanings in there is paramount to having a happy rear end! Bea has a deep tail pocket but keeping it clean and dry means no issues...not a one.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Is it normal for white pocket tail hair to turn brown? I have cleaned Jacks tail pocket DAILY ever since i brought him home . I've noticed it has become darker down in there...:lol:
I know its clean.. But he used to have white hair under his tail...

Anyone else with White Bullies have this issue?

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I can't add much more to what [MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] has already said. If you want to use the apple cider vinegar than it is usually a 50/50 ratio of the vinegar to water to dilute it down. We use baby wipes for sensitive skin and dry it out. Daddy doesn't have a tail pocket but Maggie does.

[MENTION=3139]Jack Daniels[/MENTION] I don't know about it getting darker or not. Thinking back, maybe Maggie's did get a little darker.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
yes, they get dark when dirty, clean daily is good practice , but as the puppy ages, some areas are going to turn brown, between toes and tail pocket for instance keeping clean will keep away infections.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
Hi Everyone,

I think Sumo's pocket may be infected. How do i know if it is a deep pocket or not? She woke up this morning, and i first noticed that it smelled bad. She had some diarhea a few days ago and i think maybe some got up there and made it infected? Are there any at home things i can try and fix this? Or is it a vet tomorrow sort of thing? It doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. But it's making me upset that it could be infected. I noticed a bit of brown left on my sheet where she was lying as well.

Any tips, suggestion would be great! i know this thread was about the prevention of infection, but hoping to get some help!!!

Thanks!!!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
You need to get up in that fold and clean it out, if it's the way you say it is. use a bit of antibacterial liquid soap , rinse well and clean, clean clean, must get deep as possible in those folds and make sure to dry it out perfectly. use some
desitine on your finger then to prevent more sores, kinda like diaper rash

OP
Bully Ma

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
Did the brown stuff on the sheet smell like rotten fish and garbage? She might have expressed her anal glands! Sometimes when the stool is not a normal form the gland doesnt naturally express when she eliminated. Insted it will fill up so much that they will just express whenever. Definatly keep that tail pocket clean and dry.

SUMOPUP

Jul 28, 2011
Toronto, Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Sumo
The brown stuff definitely smells terrible. I can smell it coming from her tail though. If i got to the vet will they give me antibiotics? is this something that i can help get rid of on my own by keeping it clean and getting some destidin for her? It looks pink and swollen underneath her tail. Thanks for getting back to me everyone.

First bully, first tail issue... not fun!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I would give it a good clean and try the desitin overnight, and see what it looks like in the morning. If it is still looking swollen, and sore/raw looking then it may have turned into an infection that just cleaning won't help. It may mean a visit to the vets this time, but at least you now know all the preventative measures that you have to take with these tail pockets!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.