Vet appointment needed already!

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Before purchasing Macy i did tons of research and knew in advance that bulldogs needed extra tlc....lol. But i didn't think it would be one week after coming home! Macy has a nasty lump on her belly that is opening up and oozing. We thought at first it was an umbilical hernia but do they open up and ooze? Bless her nasty heart :bad: It's really gross but doesn't seem to be bothering her at all.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
you didn't say how old she was, did she just get spayed? if so its a stitch that is infected. if she is a pup , it is likely a umbilical cord infection. not a hernia---do not worry it is likely not to bad.until yo can get to the vet , put a warm as can be cloth on the belly 3 x a day that has been soaked in Epsom salt and water. do not panic.and let me know .between feeding a great food, daily face, feet, private area cleaning. and keeping flowers out of the yard that the dog plays in , and giving my own vaccine booster shots!! I see the vet very rarely !!! my vet helps me keep the visits down by also filling as many RX scripts , at my drug store.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
She is 11 weeks old now. You are probably right. I can't get into the vet until monday at 4:30 so i will take your advice and let you know what they say. Thank you so so much. As i said, it doesn't seem to bother her at all. Just me and my weak stomach :bad:

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Did you take her to the vet when you got her home for a health check? It's always best to take them to your vet as soon as you get your pup. Also was that bump there a week ago when you got her?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3752]webster03[/MENTION] can you show a picture of the lump on her belly please?

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
yes I think that it is a umbilical cord issue, probably not to much more, but until Monday , do the Epsom salts and a really warm cloth soaked in the salt water. it cant hurt, and may bring the infection closer to the surface in the mean time. one can't be sure of course, and get her in right away. and that response about getting a vet check right away for an evaluation, is the right thing of course.lay her upside down on your lap with that warm salty cloth on her belly and she'll love you .

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Monday was the quickest I could get her in because of the holidays. So no I haven't personally taken her to the vet myself. But i have her paperwork where she had been checked out by a local vet 2 days before coming to live with us. She was a pup from my friends litter so I know she has been well cared for with all her shots and vet visit. Yes, the bump was there but it wasn't open and ooziong. My friends is out of town but she is saying same thing. She thinks macy may have scratched at it and caused it to open. I'll see if I can take a pic.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
macylump.jpgmacyasleep.JPG

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
Monday was the quickest I could get her in because of the holidays. So no I haven't personally taken her to the vet myself. But i have her paperwork where she had been checked out by a local vet 2 days before coming to live with us. She was a pup from my friends litter so I know she has been well cared for with all her shots and vet visit. Yes, the bump was there but it wasn't open and ooziong. My friends is out of town but she is saying same thing. She thinks macy may have scratched at it and caused it to open. I'll see if I can take a pic.

i wouldn't worry to much, your pup is known to you (her care) and it is likely a bit of infection from a umbilical cod that is slow to heal and got infected, it will be easy to heal, they will give her some antibiotics, and I would recommend, going and getting a babies onsie at the department store, the ones that snap at the crotch--how old is she ? maybe a 4 T , should fit. and if you have any vet wrap, soak a cloth Epsom salts, and very warm water, fold the cloth in a strip . and use the vet wrap (or stretchy self stick human wrap in the first aid isle (one that sticks to itself)wrap it around the tummy -loosely ,but snug enough to stay on , and snap the crotch of the onsie up at the crotch. having that warm moist next to her tummy will help bring the infection to the surface of the skin. by Monday it will probably be much better. gotta love those onsies. and I found them clear up to size 6 T (they are Tshirts with a crotch that snaps closed.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Thank you so much! I'm in luck as I have a 3 month old son with onsies up to size 12 months that I have put away until he grows into them. I'm going to try one of those on her. Macy is 11 weeks old now. Thanks for all your advice. I really do appreciate it.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Macy is adorable by the way. A little TLC - and some antibiotics - and she'll be as good as new. Keeping the area clean and = if possible = covered, as Lindathedogsmaid suggests, will make healing quicker.

OP
webster03

webster03

Nov 20, 2011
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Macy Elizabeth
Thank you! We just love her to pieces. Your furry babies are beautiful too! I can't believe they get so big so fast...lol. Macy looks better already this morning. It's not oozing at all. It's drying up and looks to be healing. Her appointment is at 4:30 tomorrow but I feel much better knowning it's healing. Love this site! You all are the greatest!

LucysMum

Mar 26, 2011
S. New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Lucy
OOOooohh Macy is "adorabulll"! Take lots of pictures---they grow so fast.

Let us know how you make out on Monday at the vet.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online