Choking

H

heff101

We just went through a HUGE scare with Heff.
Heff is a very fast eater (we have tried everything to slow him down to no avail). Tonight he started choking and it got to the point his eyes became very watery and he started to fall over and lose his balance. He was finally able to cough it out.
My question is is there some sort of bulldog heimlich maneuver? Or what can a person do when your bully is choking?

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh ..I bet you were terrified..and this is a great question. Jake also eats way too fast..but we've been able to slow him down with a slow feed ball enough to keep him from throwing up. I'll be watching this thread to see if there is something to do in a case like Heffs.

OP
H

heff101

Please lets not turn this post into how to slow down your dogs eating.
I would like to keep it to what to do in a emergency choking situation.
Thanks

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I have heard from a friend of mine who has bulldogs that she had a young one choking on food, she opened up the mouth and went in after it. That's scary, I think that's what I would have to do too. I don't know if Heimlich would work or not, hope I never have to find out.

OP
H

heff101

I found this youtube video that is excellent advice.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Please lets not turn this post into how to slow down your dogs eating.
I would like to keep it to what to do in a emergency choking situation.
Thanks

:hmm: I wasn't trying to turn this thread into anything. iF you read what I posted..I said I would be watching to see what to do in a case like Heffs. No more..no less.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bo choked one time precisely as you described [MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION]. I opened up that mouth and thrust my finger down his throat to dislodge whatever was stuck in there. It was like having a heart attack, right before work..... Interestingly, Mr. Fast Eater did slow down a BIT after that incident. I also switched to smaller size kibble after that as an extra precaution.

OP
H

heff101

:hmm: I wasn't trying to turn this thread into anything. iF you read what I posted..I said I would be watching to see what to do in a case like Heffs. No more..no less.

My reply was not intended to you.
I just know how threads can go and I just was saying lets keep it to the subject at hand.
Sorry if I mislead you.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=1935]heff101[/MENTION] haha that's true, just have to keep their mouths shut and breath through their nose. I've done that on a couple of pups before and it works. I just held their mouth shut and breathed through their little nose.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I will try to think of what I would do --lay the dog on my two legs, head down , on it side , and give a good sound slap on the back to dislodge the stuck item.. lay it on its side, head touching your feet.at your feet! hold your hand under its hold it high to your legs, and whack its back--that are laying on your legs(((( much like holding your child by it legs , and slapping it back) gravity should dislodge the item !!
or try this method, stretch the dog over the back of a chair , tummy side down . and give a good slap to the back right about the chest area!! this way will be easier to achieve, with the dog laying down over the chair on its tummy !! this is similar to doing a self Heimlich to ones self!

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
OMG !!! I haven't watched the video yet but to reach in a possibly push an object further down the throat with a finger
is scary to think of , my mother did that to my daughter, when she chocked on something! I told her that I would never let her watch my daughter again. she should turn the child upside down and smack the back are, a god sharp whack.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online