Bubba with hives this morning

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Well..interesting way to start the day! I don't know exactly what happened. I did clean the carpet in the bedroom yesterday..not sure if he's allergic to what I used? I don't know how I wouldn't have noticed them when I first got up though. THey are very apparant! I really noticed them after he came in from outside. Maybe he got stung by something? I gave him 50 mg of benedryl. Helping a little..no much. Called vets office and made an appt for this afternoon. Apparantly 50 mg is the max until tonight. He seems to be breathing fine, just a little worried. Anyone else have this problem? Other suggestions?

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I have never personally dealt with hives, perhaps putting into a room temp bath and washing him to get the chemicals off of him if it was the carpet cleaner??????

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
Do you notice a lot of swelling .? If its just bumps on the skin then let the benedryl do its thing. Let the allergen move thru his system. Hopefully it'll resolve on its own by the end of the day.....

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
OH you are a good MOM you keep benedryl on hand,
the vet will give him a shot, and he'll be fine.
always rinse at lest twice when shampooing carpet!!!!!! probably the cause, unless it is fall, and bees are out.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
Poor Bubba. We keep Benedryl and Zyrtec in the medicine cabinet. Benedryl works on Punkie but it doesn't on Maggie so she gets a Zyrtec and within an hour the hives are gone. I had the hives not too long ago and Zyrtec worked when Benedryl wouldn't. Hope Bubba is better soon :bully:.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Poor Bubba. We keep Benedryl and Zyrtec in the medicine cabinet. Benedryl works on Punkie but it doesn't on Maggie so she gets a Zyrtec and within an hour the hives are gone. I had the hives not too long ago and Zyrtec worked when Benedryl wouldn't. Hope Bubba is better soon :bully:.

But can you give zyrtec after giving benedryl or would you have to wait until that wears off? Hope the benedryl kicks in for you!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Bubba, I'm sure the vet will fix him up with a shot. I would guess the shampoo is the culprit. May have to rinse again.

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Just got back from the vet. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] you were right! Vet gave him a shot. I asked him if it could be because I just cleaned the carpets. He said 'no'. Typical bee sting allergic reaction. He said he could tell by the pattern of the hives. He said benedryl doesn't help a whole lot for this, but it does keep down the swelling and itching..so breathing is ok. Too bad I couldn't have gotten an earlier vet appt. It would have saved me a ton of time rinsing and rerinsing the carpets! lol! Oh well. they are super clean now! ha ha!

OP
bubbaisapig

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
[MENTION=390]cali~jenn[/MENTION] I wouldn't think you could give zyrtec after benedryl..similiar ingredients. They told me the max dose of benedryl is 50mgs/twice a day.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
I have always understood both from a good Bulldog Vet , and my veterinary home hand book, that under 50 lbs, they may have one 1 tab , up to 3 x a day. one morning,one noon, one before bed

over 50 lbs they may have double that dose. 2 up to 3 x a day.
I do not know about Zertec, that is something newer than the book!! LOL!!!!

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Yes, we just dealt with this a couple of weeks ago. I posted pictures somewhere. If you search the forum for hives it should come up. Ours was a suspected spider bite. We did benadryl at home, got a shot at the vet, and then prednisone for a few days. Hopefully it won't happen again, it's scary. Lola was covered in hives, and then her face/eyes started to swell. Not good.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=2308]bubbaisapig[/MENTION] So glad he is doing better, thanks for the update. My Beagle got bite by a bee once on her tongue and she went into anaphylaxisis shock, and we almost lost her, too scary.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my im so glad he is going to be ok. ive done the hive thing scary stuff.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.