I give up!!

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
OK so Tyson came to live with us about 2 months ago, and since then he has had a double eye infection, double ear infection, tail pocket infection. Kcs (tear ducts that don't work), severe staff infection of the skin. Allergies that make his paws irritated. Tape worm. Interdigital cysts, diarrhea and constipation. Today I discovered that he has freaking ringworm!! Are you kidding me? How did he get ring worm? No one in the house has it ....so far. I was petting him and felt a round scaly patch in his armpit area. I looked and sure enough ..ringworm. My son caught this at school a couple years ago , so I've seen it before. Now I know that it isn't a huge deal and I started treating it with anti-fungal cream . I'm sure it will clear up but geeze. Seems like every week it's something. I guess I'm fortunate that he hasn't had anything too serious , and I know bulldogs are prone to health issues but how in the heck am I ever supposed to get/ keep this dog healthy ? I'm starting to wonder if he doesn't have a systemic problem , like maybe an immune system issue? ugh.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
So sorry he is having so many problems, hopefully he will get better soon. Ay least he has a good bully mama to take care of him and give him plenty of love. Bless you for taking care of him.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
This is my theory! He is SO happy and SO relaxed..his body is crapping ALL the bad junk out! Except it's not coming out the "normal" way! Lol! It's just oozing out! He wants you to feel needed! Seriously Jen..you are his lifeline. Don't be discouraged..be thankful you got him and no one else! Hug...hug...hug.... Miss my smileys!

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I agree with Becky ... the poor baby has probably been given a bunch of crap all his life. Now a lot of what you are mentioning (not the worms) sound like allergic reactions. Back to the age old question!! What are you feeding him right now??

Also, who know what has happened to him in his past and his immune system could be compromised. I can not say how much I love and totally recommeded the Grizzly salmon oil. It just makes such a HUGE difference to all my dogs, especially Maggie who suffered two years in a row with an auto-immune disease that locked her jaw up.

Donna LeBlanc

Jul 7, 2011
East Texas
Bulldog(s) Names
Punkie Brewster
My Bullie came from a puppy mill in Russia. She came to me with everything and more that you have described in your post. Nutrition is the key to having a "healthy" Bulldog. We have 4 furkids and they all benefit from the regimine I started to get my Bulldog's immune system up to par. They each get a couple of heaping tablespoons of plain yogurt each day. Followed by two fish oil capsules. We mix a little LOCAL honey into the yogurt which helps with the allergies. We free feed a grain free kibble and plenty of fresh clean water. We got Punkie in July 2008 and it took from the beginning of July 2008 until the end of October 2008 to get all her ailments under control...she is doing great now! We had her spayed when she was 6 months old and she did very well with surgery, too! During the initial period of building her immune system, we also mixed a packet of Forti-Flora in with her yogurt. If you try this method, Good Luck!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
phew your having a tough time ,firstly he needs his immune system boosting and maintaining ,if you are able the first think i would do is switch him to raw feed ,this is just my opinion and my experience with annie and many raw feeders will tell you the same thing that there is a massive difference when a dog is raw fed,you could supplement him with dandelion to boost his immune system and milk thistle to clean out his liver ,all dogs rely on a very healthy immune system but when it fails even slightly then the result can be terrible ,illness,allergies you name it they may get it,karen

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
All I can say is that goodness he's with you.

I love the immune system fortification ideas here.

It should be said that a new family considering a new puppy of any kind should seek out a reputable breeder first and foremost.

Keep up the good work, Dozersmama. This work is not for the faint of heart!

OP
dozersmama

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
OK so I feed him Canidea lamb and rice, which I'm going to switch to get away from the rice. He also gets yogurt every day, and pumpkin to help with his digestion. This has resolved the bathroom issues. I will try the honey idea, hadn't thought of that. I tried raw feeding but his tummy couldn't handle it. As far as the salmon oil, should I order it or will high quality fish capsules do the same thing?
Guess I'm off to the health food store to find dandelion and milk thistle. However Remember he will be 8 in 2 Months . Any chance that any of this would hurt him?

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
I give Brooke wild salmon oil, I think the capsules would do the same, it's just multiple fish sources in those rather than just salmon. Not sure which is better cost or health wise. I found an awesome site where I order my salmon oil from now. I used to get it from PetCo but it is really expensive there (but you can get small amounts to try it out at first), over a dollar per oz. If you do end up putting him on it long term let me know and I'll give you the site name. And I know salmon oil won't hurt him due to his age. My boyfriend's parents just put their labs (8 and 11 years old) on it and they love it and are doing great. I wouldn't think dandelion or milk thistle would either as long as there isn't any allergies to either.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=1665]dozersmama[/MENTION]... we use high quality fish oil 1200mg twice a day and I agree with getting him away from the rice, but you should also think about the blood allergy test

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.