Needed : Hints on keeping Water Bowl fresh

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
So I was wondering if anyone can give me a hint or two on how best to keep the Water Bowl / Jug fresh.

Im currently using one of those 1 gallon water Jugs that mounts on top of the water dish. I fill it with filtered water from my tap.
Sometimes I freeze it half full so Jack has cold water... I guess I do it as sort of a treat for him although I'm not sure if cold water is a bad thing for dogs...

My problem is that after Jack drinks from the bowl, its left with slobber and leaves and/or dirt since he is contantly burying his entire face in the grass smelling everything...
So I end up hosing the bowl , and thus losing must of the filtered water that's left in the gallon jug.

Im planning now on adding a tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar to his water so Im guessing that'll be getting wasted too ..
Its cheap so no problem with that, its just the act of having to unscrew the water jug to re-fill it and add more ACV to it just so he can dirty it up again moments later....

Anyways, I was wondering how you guys do it....

bubbaisapig

Apr 30, 2011
Littleton, CO
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
bubba
Ha ha! If you find a solution, let me know! Bubba does the same thing! Such a mess around his bowl and the floor is very difficult to keep clean!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I just use a regular bowl n rinse and swap 3x a day. You can see the slobber in it when you dump what's left. Ewwww lol

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I use a regular bowl too and change once or twice a day, depending on how thirsty the boys are.

Laura M Velazquez

May 17, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Meilyr
Carolina pet pantry has those fountain water bowls with filters. High end water bowl for our four legged friends. Water is always moving and being filtered from what I understand. Check out their website.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk......Laura

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have 1 giant red bowl and under that, a giant red melamine tray and under THAT a big red rug that's for dogs; it's supposed to absorb 200% of its weight or something. AND THERE'S STILL A SLOBBERY MESS! hahahahahaha I gotta wash that dish out and refill a good three times a day and wipe that tray a couple of times anyway. The rug gets scrubbed outside using a pressure washer attachment and lotsa soap...dry in the sun.

Yeah. In my next life, I wanna come back as one of my dogs.....

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I have 1 giant red bowl and under that, a giant red melamine tray and under THAT a big red rug that's for dogs; it's supposed to absorb 200% of its weight or something. AND THERE'S STILL A SLOBBERY MESS! hahahahahaha I gotta wash that dish out and refill a good three times a day and wipe that tray a couple of times anyway. The rug gets scrubbed outside using a pressure washer attachment and lotsa soap...dry in the sun.

Yeah. In my next life, I wanna come back as one of my dogs.....

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
I keep an extra large st.steel bowl outside. Inside the kitchen, I have a total of 3 extra large st.steel water bowels, one in the crated area. and two on either side of the kitchen. all sitting on extra large cookie sheets, They can easily be scrubbed every day and the bowels get filled at least twice daily. It's a job at my house. They all love when I first set down the fresh water. Weekends I fill them even more often. I hate seeing that slime on top of the water, guess I'm anal like that. If I wouldn't want to drink it I don't expect them too. Like I said, anal

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Molly won't even drink out of the bowl if she already slobbered in it. She is a diva sometimes!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We have on common water bowl in the living room that they all drink from and gets changed about 3 to 4 times a day and a bowl in each crate that gets changed at least once a day. So much slobber. haha

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
I pick up dump the "lugie" that is leftover, and wash his bowl out with a sponge with a scratch pad on one side 3 times a day. I remember when I first got Vegas I would have to turn my head to dump out his left over slime, it would flat out gag me. Now I think nothing of it. lol

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Once again,,, Princess Gracie is different..... beginning to wonder if she is bulldog or not.... She doesn't slobber when she drinks!!!! A couple of drops come off her lips when she backs away but nothing like some of you are describing....
We rinse and refill her bowl when it is empty which is once a day. And we don't give her icy cold water as Ive heard that isn't good for them.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Had heard of someone using those filtered water systems and it worked but no idea who now. I am curious about them but not sure it would work. Cutty is a slobbery drinker also. Miila nd Mugsy are more dainty in their drinking but cutty gets down in there and slurps it up like a beast. lol

LoveMyBullyBoy

Sep 12, 2011
Georgia
Bulldog(s) Names
Gravy
I use a ceramic bowl that gets dumped, washed, & refilled once a day. Gravy isn't a horribly slobbery drinker, but there's enough slime to warrant a daily wash & refill. And he always leaves little pieces of mooshy dog food floating in there. I came this <----> close to picking one of those gallon watering jugs up at Tractor Supply, but I had a flash of slobber & floating dog food & quickly changed my mind.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.