vitamin c for allergies

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
my vet is all for using acv,sulpher and vit c ,so we will see how it effects her ,when im giving annie any pills i open her mouth and put it down her throat lol then quickly give her a treat .karen

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I was just doing this on my own but after questions here called vet and she said ok to vitamin c supplements. So all I can say is to ask your own vet if there are reservations

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Your dog must have a fantastic sense of smell. Maybe in some hamburger or steak yum yum now I'm hungry

Interestingly, the both have a ridiculesly good sense of smell. Bea could be one of those drug sniffin' dogs at the airport - as long as the contraband was benedryl and Bo, has the ability to put his nose to the ground and track a scent like a beagle. Once he's "on" to something, it's very hard to get him off of it - but we do because he doesn't "run" the walk - I do (or am supposed to be anyway). Whomever said EB's smeller was compromised, hasn't met these two Bloodhounds!

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
my dog can sniff a kong inside a bag inside a cupboard ,her nose is always on the sniff especially when out on walks lol,karen

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
my dog can sniff a kong inside a bag inside a cupboard ,her nose is always on the sniff especially when out on walks lol,karen

...and they say bulldog noses don't function as well as non-bulldog noses! Horse pucky, I say! Absolute horse pucky!

[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] - how's the Vitamin C doing? Still seeing positive change? I am gonna get some today - along with some chewable Glucosamine / Chrondoiton (spelling?) for Bea. She's getting more "creaky" all the time. And after a big BUBBLE CHASING SESSION, she's really gimping around here.....!

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok heres an update. well i was gone a couple of days so had to trust bf to do it right. now i do not know what caused this but i came back to sarah with some redness and bumps on her chin and around the side of mouth. she also had a bump below her nose rope and some redness inside nose rope. she was having a small reaction to something. i question him and he say she ate some of the boys food. never has bothered her like that before so in caution i gave her the day off the vitamin c yesterday. she was pretty much all better yesterday evening. so im going to start the c again today. i am going with a smaller dose than 500mg. maybe 250mg and see how that goes. other than that its been good. she is growing back more hair on her back and tailpocket. no hives at all. i dont really give her any benadryl anymore. i will report more in a few days.

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
i dont really give her any benadryl anymore. i will report more in a few days.

Thanks for the update! I really want to give this a try - but will wait until you've done your research, Dr. Cowsmom. :detective: Thanks for being a trail blazer!

H

heff101

You want to use a Ester C or a buffered Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate). Calcium Ascorbate acts like a natural histamine.
Using regular Vit C (ascorbic acid) does not have as great a affect and cause cause loose bowels in high doses.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Very interesting. If all goes well I'll have to check my local Costco for Ester C.
yes.gif

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
so far she has not experienced any issues with loose bowels. if anything it seems to have made them more firm and less. will see how it goes from here. i may at some point try ester-c but want to see how just regular c does first. thanks for the input.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
All good info, I'm keeping watch and am very interested in the progress, may have to try this out on my critters when skin issue acts up. I must do what I call :ROFL:
my research.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.