Thread: vitamin c for allergies

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: vitamin c for allergies

I love this idea and am watching this thread to see how this goes with Sarah - and Annie too. I am convinced that our allergen here is environmental. I keep forgetting to "wipe them down" when we come in - so starting that today. Small bumps appear after we've been outside the daily long walk.

Re: the Vitamin C: There aren't any side effects to this practice --- right? Also: how do you get them to take it? Bea is suspect with anything - particularly if she hears the pill bottle - and can spit out a benedryl after removing whatever it's hidden in like no other dog I've ever seen. Anything I add to her food is examined like a detective. I've yet to try the lactose free ice cream idea from @Sherry (I think) because I've seen her extract a pill from her favorite thing in the world: yogurt.... I don't wanna get stuck with a bunch of lactose free ice cream. Who'd eat that crap? hahahahahaha I want the heavy duty super rich full of goodies kind in my freezer......

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

As far as I know there is no side effects I'm assuming like humans any excess is gotten rid of when they pee. I know EVO has 500mg vit c in their food and others list less like 70mg. I'll check and see for sure. I put saras in canned food and she gobbled it up so not sure bout that. Your dog must have a fantastic sense of smell. Maybe in some hamburger or steak yum yum now I'm hungry

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Interested, please keep us updated. Did you discuss this with your vet or are you going on your own personal experience?

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

my vet is all for using acv,sulpher and vit c ,so we will see how it effects her ,when im giving annie any pills i open her mouth and put it down her throat lol then quickly give her a treat .karen

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

I was just doing this on my own but after questions here called vet and she said ok to vitamin c supplements. So all I can say is to ask your own vet if there are reservations

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    Your dog must have a fantastic sense of smell. Maybe in some hamburger or steak yum yum now I'm hungry
    Interestingly, the both have a ridiculesly good sense of smell. Bea could be one of those drug sniffin' dogs at the airport - as long as the contraband was benedryl and Bo, has the ability to put his nose to the ground and track a scent like a beagle. Once he's "on" to something, it's very hard to get him off of it - but we do because he doesn't "run" the walk - I do (or am supposed to be anyway). Whomever said EB's smeller was compromised, hasn't met these two Bloodhounds!

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

my dog can sniff a kong inside a bag inside a cupboard ,her nose is always on the sniff especially when out on walks lol,karen

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by karenben View Post
    my dog can sniff a kong inside a bag inside a cupboard ,her nose is always on the sniff especially when out on walks lol,karen
    ...and they say bulldog noses don't function as well as non-bulldog noses! Horse pucky, I say! Absolute horse pucky!

@cowsmom - how's the Vitamin C doing? Still seeing positive change? I am gonna get some today - along with some chewable Glucosamine / Chrondoiton (spelling?) for Bea. She's getting more "creaky" all the time. And after a big BUBBLE CHASING SESSION, she's really gimping around here.....!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

ok heres an update. well i was gone a couple of days so had to trust bf to do it right. now i do not know what caused this but i came back to sarah with some redness and bumps on her chin and around the side of mouth. she also had a bump below her nose rope and some redness inside nose rope. she was having a small reaction to something. i question him and he say she ate some of the boys food. never has bothered her like that before so in caution i gave her the day off the vitamin c yesterday. she was pretty much all better yesterday evening. so im going to start the c again today. i am going with a smaller dose than 500mg. maybe 250mg and see how that goes. other than that its been good. she is growing back more hair on her back and tailpocket. no hives at all. i dont really give her any benadryl anymore. i will report more in a few days.
    Last edited by cowsmom; 11-20-2011 at 07:59 AM.

Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cowsmom View Post
    i dont really give her any benadryl anymore. i will report more in a few days.
    Thanks for the update! I really want to give this a try - but will wait until you've done your research, Dr. Cowsmom. Thanks for being a trail blazer!

heff101

You want to use a Ester C or a buffered Vitamin C (calcium ascorbate). Calcium Ascorbate acts like a natural histamine.
    Using regular Vit C (ascorbic acid) does not have as great a affect and cause cause loose bowels in high doses.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Very interesting. If all goes well I'll have to check my local Costco for Ester C.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads