vitamin c for allergies

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Well ive been fighting my 3 dogs environmental allergies for a while now so i thought id try something new. i take vitamin c for my allergies and didnt realize how much it was doing till i recently stopped taking it by accident. wow did i have to increase my anti histamine usage and i was miserable till i figured out why. my pharmacist says its a natural histamine blocker. well im back on mine and am trying it on my dogs. 500mg once a day. i just started it saturday and was at the panthers football game yesterday so they didnt get any then. ive given them all doses today so i will report in a few days to see how they are doing. would be nice to be able to maybe get them off some of this benadryl ive been giving them. also want to see if it helps the hive situation with sarah. shes having one or two here and there. enviromental im sure so ill keep you posted on how it goes for those that are interested.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Definitely interested! Keep us posted :)

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Hmmm? Interesting...... Please keep us posted on the progress

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
ok its been 3 days so im giving an update. well all my dogs allergies have improved alot. i only give them an evening dose of benadryl now and even then sometimes i only have to give sarah one instead of 2. i have not seen a hive on her since ive been giving her this. she used to have one or two pretty much all the time. im not saying she has no symptoms at all as she will have a runny nose sometimes during the day but it goes away. her yeasty yucky ear is much better but i have been putting chloraseb flush in it also so not sure if the c did anything or not there. im going to keep a watch on her yeast on paws and see if they clear up also. all in all im impressed so far. and i myself take 2000 milligrams and have greatly reduced my zyrtec usage. im assuming that dogs will p out any excess c just like humans do. well ill keep you updated.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
im starting vit c for annie it builds the immune system,im also giving her sulpher 30 for her itchy skin and have noticed a massive difference ,shes been on it for 5 days,karen

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im starting vit c for annie it builds the immune system,im also giving her sulpher 30 for her itchy skin and have noticed a massive difference ,shes been on it for 5 days,karen
im very glad to see this as annie was one of the dogs i thought of when i started this thread. i so hope you get results as i know you struggle with annies itching. im glad about the sulpher 30.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
ahh thanks,well you know what all these months and its been 8 very long ones lol ive been leaning toward a wool/grass allergy,well i am so sick of sitting in the kitchen/conservatory with annie ,i bit the bullet and let her in the lounges where there is wool carpets,i left her tshirt off and yep she started itching ,i kept distracting her ,telling her no and well all i can say is that the itching has gone down 90 percent!!!,no rashes YET lol,i think my dog has anxiety ,i got her at 12 weeks old sept 2010,well in the november i had to be off work due to a slipped disc so from november till april it was just me and annie sitting in the lounge due to me not being able to walk anywhere,,now i went back to work april this year and her itching started then!!!,so i think its made her anxious hence the psychological itch!!!it may just be a habit ,sulpher tablets are supposed to calm itching and the mind so will keep you updated ,fingers crossed AGAIN LOL,karen

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
[MENTION=2242]karenben[/MENTION] maybe the vit c will help also. it cant hurt. it has helped my dogs. not saying there 100% better but they have improved alot. maybe between the sulpher and vit c she will get better. oh these bullies. well i will say many prayers this helps annie. hm calms the mind? maybe i could use some:ROFL:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
I love this idea and am watching this thread to see how this goes with Sarah - and Annie too. I am convinced that our allergen here is environmental. I keep forgetting to "wipe them down" when we come in - so starting that today. Small bumps appear after we've been outside the daily long walk.

Re: the Vitamin C: There aren't any side effects to this practice --- right? Also: how do you get them to take it? Bea is suspect with anything - particularly if she hears the pill bottle - and can spit out a benedryl after removing whatever it's hidden in like no other dog I've ever seen. Anything I add to her food is examined like a detective. I've yet to try the lactose free ice cream idea from @Sherry (I think) because I've seen her extract a pill from her favorite thing in the world: yogurt.... I don't wanna get stuck with a bunch of lactose free ice cream. Who'd eat that crap? hahahahahaha I want the heavy duty super rich full of goodies kind in my freezer......

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
As far as I know there is no side effects I'm assuming like humans any excess is gotten rid of when they pee. I know EVO has 500mg vit c in their food and others list less like 70mg. I'll check and see for sure. I put saras in canned food and she gobbled it up so not sure bout that. Your dog must have a fantastic sense of smell. Maybe in some hamburger or steak yum yum now I'm hungry

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Interested, please keep us updated. Did you discuss this with your vet or are you going on your own personal experience?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.