Banks update - colitis

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
First off --- have I told you guys how much I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my vet??? The man is amazing -- he called today (yep, on a Sunday) to check in to see how 'our girl' was doing and go over the test results that came back from Texas A&M. I can't remember all the medical terms and words he used, but the short of it is.. Banks is in a catch 22, she has extremely low B12 count, which can cause the intestinal issues and the intestinal issues can cause the B12 deficiency. The results also showed a level of bacteria which adds to the intestine problems... round and round it goes.

So, she is off the raw indefinitely, off the bland diet, and back on kibble which for now is IVD duck and potato -- I want her off potato due to the yeast issues she has so, we are looking for a new kibble and that is turning out to be H-E-double hockey sticks!!! Since she is allergic to chicken and every freakin kibble has some level of chicken in it...meal, broth, etc. this has been a month in the making. I went to a nearby upscale pet store that carries only high end foods... I think I read about 15 bags of food - Fromm, NVI, Wellness, NB, Avoderm -- all had some type of chicken. My vet suggest Science Diet - venison and pea, but I am not thrilled with what I read about SD. He also sells a local brand, Annamaet, which he has not suggested, but I will talk to him about since they make a salmon based grain free kibble with no potato and no chicken stuff.

Banks is doing great and is off all meds except for an antibiotic, Tylan powder (1/8 of a teaspoon per meal). She will be getting a B12 shot once a week for the next 4 weeks and then test to see where her levels are.

Here is a picture of Banks (about three years ago) that a local photographer used on a website.

Banks05.jpg

buffalobabie

Apr 11, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Bulldog(s) Names
Gregory
she is so beautiful!!!! What about iams? Gregory has issues with allergies and our vet put us on IamsVeterinary Formula Skin & Coat Response KO/Canine. i wasnt super keen on the idea since it doesnt seem to be very high value food but its worth a try. the vet would have to order it in for you. here is whats in it...

Oat Flour, Kangaroo, Canola Meal, Animal Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Choline Chloride, DL-Methionine, Potassium Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate [source of Vitamin B1], Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement [source of Vitamin B2], Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [source of Vitamin B6], Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid)

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Banks is so pretty with her freckles!I was reading somewhere that :poo: eating can sometimes be caused when a dog is deficit in B12. they eat their own :poo: to try to "conserve" what they have. Have you ever had that problem with Banks?

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Banks is so pretty with her freckles!I was reading somewhere that :poo: eating can sometimes be caused when a dog is deficit in B12. they eat their own :poo: to try to "conserve" what they have. Have you ever had that problem with Banks?

no, never. She runs away as she finishes her dump... and will not even go near another pile -- she will lift her head to smell it but will not go near it

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I didn't think the Fromm beef frittata had any chicken in it!! Jake is chicken sensitive so he's on that?? Poor baby! She's so gorgeous Christine! And I agree..your vet is awesome!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I didn't think the Fromm beef frittata had any chicken in it!! Jake is chicken sensitive so he's on that?? Poor baby! She's so gorgeous Christine! And I agree..your vet is awesome!

That was one of the first I read... If I remember right -- it has chicken broth

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
wow, a lot of what Bella's EPI encounters. Low B12 is one of the signs and Tylan for SIBO, which is Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. TAMU also runs the test for EPI, wonder if he was thinking EPI to begin with. Hope Banks is better real soon. Have you looked intpo Danford? They don't sell around here but I am very impressed with ingrediants, they have a surf and turf product and their food is Grain free Glutin Free

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] -- I am wrong. The store was out of the beef -- I read the surf-n-turf which had chicken fat and the salmon which has chicken something or other

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
wow, a lot of what Bella's EPI encounters. Low B12 is one of the signs and Tylan for SIBO, which is Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. TAMU also runs the test for EPI, wonder if he was thinking EPI to begin with. Hope Banks is better real soon. Have you looked intpo Danford? They don't sell around here but I am very impressed with ingrediants, they have a surf and turf product and their food is Grain free Glutin Free

YES... he was suspecting something going on with her pancreas, but that part of the test came back good.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Good, I am glad the pancreas is doing well, The easy part of EPI is the diagnosis, the hard part is finding the right food/enzyme balance. I am trying to help out an EPI mom in central Florida, problems with SIBO and her vet won't prescribe Tylan, thinks it is over kill....urgh

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
[MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] -- I am wrong. The store was out of the beef -- I read the surf-n-turf which had chicken fat and the salmon which has chicken something or other
Glad you clarified. We give HRH beef Frittata because she still had some issues on surf and turf and we figured it might be the chicken. The beef Frittata doesn't list any chicken.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.