Thinking about trying salmon oil... need tips

Wlw9x

May 10, 2011
Gardendale, Alabama, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Katie
For those of you who supplement feeding time with salmon oil, I have a few questions...
How much and how often do you put it on the food?
Does it make the food less desirable to the dog?
What are the perks (if any) of the straight oil from the pump bottle as opposed to a pill form of the supplement?
My dad is thinking of adding it to their American Bulldog's diet. She is 11 years old and on Fromm Beef Frittatta. She is primarily white and has skin issues... she goes to the vet weekly for baths and such.

He will appreciate any tips or input you can give! Thanks :)

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
We use salmon oil for Brooke. We put two pumps on her dinner every night. It says on the bottle how many pumps to give depending on the weight of the dog. Brooklyn LOVES it. When we first started giving it to her she would suck the oil off and spit out the food all over the kitchen, then go eat it later when she realized she was still hungry. Not sure if there are any differences with pill vs pump except maybe if the dog isn't fond of the taste the pill would be easier to get them to eat. It has helped Brookes immune system improve and her fur grew back in sooo beautifully after she got over demodex mange. I also read somewhere on here that it is good for joints and can replace some of those supplements.

Bully Ma

Oct 11, 2011
Massachusetts
Bulldog(s) Names
Lamb Chop
Some dogs will take the gelcap with no problem while others will spit it out. That is what my boxer was doing so I started cutting the cap open and squirting the liquid on the food. Which turned into a pain in the butt! So I then bought the pump form and follow the directions on the bottle. Fish oil is the best! I think it also helps with an aging dogs brain as well but I cannot fint that website.
This is taken from a google search:
In research studies, fish oil has shown positive benefits in helping pets with disease. Fatty acids are among the most commonly used nutritional supplements used in treating dogs and cats. Fortunately, they have been used successfully long enough that most conventional veterinarians include their usage in the treatment of at least some diseases. Though some pet diets may include Omega-3 fatty acids, virtually none include satisfactory amounts of the most important Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Many pet foods contain primarily Omega-6 fatty acids from vegetable oils resulting in a highly unbalanced ratio of Omega-6s to Omega-3s. Research has shown that a ratio of Omega 6 to Omega 3 of 5:1 to 10:1 is optimal for dogs and cats and therefore supplementing with a high quality Omega-3 fish oil supports pet health.

Omega 3 oils support heart, vision and joint health, provide important nutrients for proper immune function, and nourish the skin and coat. First suggested for use in treating allergies in pets, they are now advocated in cases of kidney disease, elevated cholesterol, and arthritis as well. Veterinarians are discovering that fatty acids can be valuable for a variety of conditions. Fish oil supplementation may be helpful for pets with inflammatory diseases including allergies, arthritis, kidney disease, heart disease, and cancers. Pets with any type of inflammatory disease may benefit from fish oil supplementation. In general, more severe disease requires doses higher than those commonly recommended.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
I've been giving Wilson and my other dogs Grizzly Salmon Oil for 6 months now, Wilson's 10 months old. It's wonderful for them and they love it! They get 2 squirts each night. The recommended amount is on the bottle for their weight. There was a time that I stopped for about 4 weeks as I had suspected my oil had gone rancid and it did. I had bought the 64oz bottle and wasn't getting through it quick enough. Keep it in the fridge. It's just like any other oil and if not used in time it will go bad. Oh, during that time all dogs lost their sheen to their coats and their coats became a bit more course. All their coats are beautiful again. :)

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Nothing new to add. I just want to pat your back and your dad's back for giving your bulldog a healthy life... 11 years is a big accomplishment!
smiley_Notworthy.gif

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Our bully's take the gel cap out of my hand like a treat.

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I used to give the gel cap and my boys ate it up like a treat so if you can get away with that you are fine. Then one day Cutty looked at me like I was crazy, 5 years later. lol So grizzly oil it is. Mugsy my pickiest eater wasnt thrilled about it on his food at first but now he likes it. You can do it as often or little as you want really. I am low right now so I add it to one meal a day instead of 2. I used to add it to both feedings and they looked great! It is good for their coats, skin and all their insides of course too. You cant tell the diff but it seems to help with shedding some. Not a lot but some. I only know this cuz Mugsy wasnt eating it for a long time since he didnt care for it and when they got bathed he was shedding wayyyyy more than Cutty which never had been the case before.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Liquid supplements don't work for me or Maximus ..... He prefers "chews" and I am able to find Omega-3-6 Chews that he enjoys. Gel-caps and liquids are just to messy and a royal PIA to work with.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i use the pump grizzly for sarah. at first she didnt want it squirted on her food and would eat around it so i put it on some canned food so they would eat it. now they see it as a treat and if i dont squirt it on their food they look at it and then me like um mom somethings not right here. lol. i use 3 squirts for sarah and 1 for the boys. it has made their fur so much better and sarah moves better now to.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.