Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Sedation for allergy testing??

  1. #1
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LillyNBruin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    761
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Sedation for allergy testing??

    Any of you that have had allergy testing done, did they have to sedate your bully? I don't like the sound of that at all.

  2. #2
    Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    bullmama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    25,362
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    2312
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default

    Sedate as in what kind of sedation??? Anesthesia or just something to relax them? I would certainly ask exactly what they would use, because I don't remember having Sarah sedated but that was 8 years ago.

    Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

  3. #3
    Bulldog Vet in Training anatess's Avatar
    Posts
    1,491
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bullie & Angus
    Likes (Received)
    28

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    No way! Sedation is not necessary for allergy testing. All they do is take a vial of blood to send to the lab. No big deal.

    I got Bullied and loving it!
    Bella "Bullie" Rose, adopted on July 24, 2011

  4. #4
    Queenie I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    JeannieCO's Avatar
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Conifer, Colorado
    Posts
    13,413
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Emma, Max, Wilson & Jack (Sally RIP 3/14/16)
    Likes (Received)
    620

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    No sedation at all. Both my boys, Wilson (and Jack) have their allergy testing done at 8/9 months.
    The vet took both of them to the back room and they were back in a flash. It's amazing at what comes back in the results that you would never suspect. Well worth the $$ to eliminate the guessing game that could go on and on and on.........

  5. #5
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    Quote Originally Posted by anatess View Post
    No way! Sedation is not necessary for allergy testing. All they do is take a vial of blood to send to the lab. No big deal.
    EXACTLY.... simple blood test
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  6. #6
    "Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Location
    Mukilteo, Washington State
    Posts
    5,794
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    Maybe there's some confusion on WHICH allergy test we're all talking about? I'm sure there's a myraid of them for this or that....but for the blood test that everyone talks about here, it makes no sense to require sedation. Now, the 6-8 HUNDRED dollar test that the specialist dermotologist does - where they inject stuff into the skin for a reaction? - maybe that might require some kind of pill because once you hit the allergen the dog would be going berzerk, wouldn't he/she? Maybe they don't put that much in there.....oh it's so complicated this!!!

  7. #7
    Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    LillyNBruin's Avatar
    Real Name
    Ashley
    Location
    Central Mass
    Posts
    761
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bruin & Lilly
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    Well, the woman who picked up the phone did not specify anything. I called and said my vet referred me to you and I was hoping to bring my dog in for allergy testing, so I'd like to make an appt. She said, well first we do a consultation, then we'll make a "follow up" appt so we can sedate your dog. Right then I said "OH you Sedate! Nevermind, thank you anyways" and hung up. She was probably referring to the skin test where they have to shave and all that. But I already had a 'not so good' feeling right off the bat. I have a hard time trusting doctors/vets. I'm not sure why, nothing has ever happened (knock on wood), but I guess I'm cynical. As soon as she said, first a consultation visit, my mind automatically said 'oh I get it, cha-ching, you rat bastards" I'm awful. Soooo back to the point, All I want is the blood test, as long as that's the one that will tell me what he's allergic to.

  8. #8
    Newbie chonchimama's Avatar
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max a.k.a "Chonchito"
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    What a coincidence, I just was doing a search regarding allergy testing. I have scheduled my Max for a allergy test this week. Been dealing with skin rash, itching, and hair loss for several months, not getting better and in fact getting worse. Currently on antibiotics, medicated shampoo and was getting antihistamines too.
    Anways, I cant stand to see him itching so bad and looking so bad. The plan is to have both intradermal testing and blood testing. They have told me they sedate for it- I asked and specifically they use dexdormitor. I also asked about experience with bulldogs- I'm told they see many since this breed has alot of allergies. But of course I'm concerned- however- my dog is not quite 18months old, pretty hyper and no way he could stay still for all that intradermal stuff. Can anyone else out there lead us through your intradermal skin testing experience?

  9. #9
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    Quote Originally Posted by chonchimama View Post
    What a coincidence, I just was doing a search regarding allergy testing. I have scheduled my Max for a allergy test this week. Been dealing with skin rash, itching, and hair loss for several months, not getting better and in fact getting worse. Currently on antibiotics, medicated shampoo and was getting antihistamines too.
    Anways, I cant stand to see him itching so bad and looking so bad. The plan is to have both intradermal testing and blood testing. They have told me they sedate for it- I asked and specifically they use dexdormitor. I also asked about experience with bulldogs- I'm told they see many since this breed has alot of allergies. But of course I'm concerned- however- my dog is not quite 18months old, pretty hyper and no way he could stay still for all that intradermal stuff. Can anyone else out there lead us through your intradermal skin testing experience?
    Any update on Chonchi??
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  10. #10
    Newbie chonchimama's Avatar
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    9
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Max a.k.a "Chonchito"
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    So Max (Chonchito) went for the allergy testing and he did receive the sedative dexdormitor. He did just fine with it, came out excited about everything as usual. I'm still waiting for the blood test results, and the intradermal testing showed mild positive to a a variety of different environmental allergens. THere was nothing hugely reactive though, so really no answer yet. His skin is doing a lot better on antibiotics, except for his little armpit where he scratches. Probably go on a food trial also. This is a very frustrating thing to go through, no clear cut answers

  11. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,183
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11518

    Default Re: Sedation for allergy testing??

    Quote Originally Posted by chonchimama View Post
    So Max (Chonchito) went for the allergy testing and he did receive the sedative dexdormitor. He did just fine with it, came out excited about everything as usual. I'm still waiting for the blood test results, and the intradermal testing showed mild positive to a a variety of different environmental allergens. THere was nothing hugely reactive though, so really no answer yet. His skin is doing a lot better on antibiotics, except for his little armpit where he scratches. Probably go on a food trial also. This is a very frustrating thing to go through, no clear cut answers
    That is great to hear he did so well. Wish I could say the frustration gets easier, but food with bullies is a constant trial and error... it may take you several trys before you find the right one. However, gettting the allergy tests done - will help narrow it down
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •