Fiona is still sick :( opnions needed please!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Merrick Davison my prayers are with you and sweet Fiona. I had had issues like this with Banks, constant UTI's - it is heart breaking to see them in pain and not know what to do for them. as for you vet... you should ask to have appointments with the vet of your choice... are you more comfortable or have more trust in one than the others? Unless you say you prefer to remain with one until the problem is under control -- they will just schedule you with who has an opening

When we call our vet office -- the girls that answer the phone know -- we go with Dr. Rossi and only if he is on vacation will we go to our second or third choice.

Last edited:
OP
Merrick Davison

Merrick Davison

Oct 12, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona, Kiya and Buddy
Hi Guys,

So I got an update today and I am not too happy with it. They said what they thought was a vaginitis and now they believe it is a uti. The vet did not sound very certain about what the issue was. He was actually kind of rude. I told him I cannot afford more testing, medicine etc. He actually even argued with me about the food she was on before. While she was on the SD she had diahrea and I had to mix it with chicken and rice therefore she was not on it completely two weeks, so he said that ruined that completely. That was only for 3-4 days. Come on now then why would they suggest that?? They said I need to put her on another dog diet called CD and more medicines. The food is 80 dollars and the meds are 32. I told him I was financially strapped and he didnt seem to care. He wanted her to get on the medicine which would now be 5 weeks of antibiotics, which I know myself if not good for a puppy and that dog food that puppies are not really even suppose to take and the max is 2 weeks which she already has done. He told me that if I left her off even a day of antibiotics that it would more than likely kill anything we have done and would have to start all over!! Are you kidding me? We are no where as it is? Her urine showed/looked exactly the same as it did before same amount of puss. They also wanted me to bring her back in two weeks do ANOTHER urine sample/culture. I am fed up with the place and am now taking her to a new vet tomorrow. The lady was so nice and said the vet visits would end tomorrow! They are going to get to the bottom of this and I hope/pray she is right. Please keep us in your thoughts! I will post once the visit is over!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my what an ordeal. i feel for you. vets can be so mean sometimes. im so glad you are seeing a new one as i was going to suggest that myself. im sorry you are going through this and with financial difficulty makes it worse. please let us know what they say and if we can do anything for you

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
I am new to this thread but I wanted to say GOOD FOR YOU! You are absolutely doing everything possible for your little sweetie. I really hope the new vets have other options for you. Poor Fiona...hopefully things will turn around for her.

I can't offer advice, only *hugs*.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ok, I'm late to the thread. doesn't apple cider vinegar change the ph in urine? just a thought. I know when I use it, the hot spots in the yard dissipate. Could it also be possible to add a cupful to her water make a difference? I'm just grasping for perhaps a simple solution to this very difficult situation. Any thoughts from others who use the apple cider vinegar ? I will do a some research on this.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[h=2]Here is what I found. good reading, hope this can help Fiona

Current Article[/h][h=1]Singing The Praises Of Apple Cider Vinegar[/h]By Dr.Jeannie on Jul 6, 2008 in Dog Health - Immune System, Dog Breeders Corner, Dog Heart Health, Dog Nutrition, Doggone Home & Garden Stuff, Essential Healing Helps
149527112_0b9ec8c613_m.jpg
149527113_8d62a210de_m.jpg
149527113_8d62a210de_m.jpg

[h=3]Apple Cider Vinegar[/h]Apple cider is known around the world as Mother Nature’s miracle medicine, a powerful weapon in the war against aging and disease that is more effective than many high-priced prescription drugs. When God created this fruit He designed it be a food and a medicine!
Apple cider vinegar (ACV) is golden liquid concentrated with the healthy goodness of apples. It contains more than 30 important nutrients, 12 minerals, over 6 vitamins, essential acids and several enzymes. Moreover, it has a large dose of pectin for a healthy heart, and thus, healthy as a whole.
Many vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and substances are available in ACV to improve the health of your dog. ACV can provide them with enzymes and important minerals, such as potassium, calcium, magnesium, sulfur, chlorine,
phosphorus, iron, silicon and other trace minerals. The vitamins contained in ACV are bioflavonoids (vitamin P), beta-carotene (precursor to vitamin A), vitamin C, E, B1, B2, and B6. Tannins from the crushed cell walls of fresh apples as well as malic acid, tartaric acid, propionic acid, acetic acid and pectin (fiber) are also contained in ACV.
ACV is cheap, easy to use and it really benefits our health in numerous ways. ACV can benefit both people and their pets. It is antibacterial and anti-fungal and gives the immune system a good boost. As a high potassium electrolyte balancer, it remineralizes the body and helps normalizethe blood’s alkaline acid balance.ACV is the natural king of skin remedies. It is wonderful for itching and scratching pets as well as a superb skin and hair conditioner. Good old apple cider vinegar either straight or diluted 50/50 with water can be applied directly to the affected area and allowed to dry. It will kill bacteria on hot spots, eliminate dandruff, rejuvenate hair, skin and help sweeten and balance the pH levels in the body. When giving your dpg a bath, shampoo, rinse, then apply ACV either straight or diluted, followed by rinsing with water. Notice, any residue shampoo will be washed out and you will feel and see an increased softness and sheen to the coat.
Apple cider vinegar is a powerful detoxifying and purifying agent. It breaks down fatty, mucous and phlegm deposits within the body. By breaking down these substances it improves the health and function of the vital organs, such as the kidneys, bladder and liver, by preventing excessively alkaline urine. Put a tablespoon of ACV in your dog’s drinking water every day and you will no longer have those brown spots in your lawn from the dog’s urine.

This powerful potion also promotes digestion, assimilation and elimination, all the while neutralizing any toxic substances that enter the body. Cider vinegar has been found to ..neutralize any harmful bacteria that may be found in certain foods. While dogs and cats do not have to worry too much about the bacteria in raw meat, if YOU are in doubt, you can pour a little Apple Cider Vinegar over thier raw meal.
Cider vinegar can also be beneficial for symptoms such as tooth decay and splitting of your dog’s toenails, which can be symptoms of potassium deficiency. Potassium is essential for the replacement of worn-out tissues within the body. This mineral is also important to soft tissue repair, as calcium is to the bones and teeth which makes it a wonderful supplement for senior dogs.
Tests have proven that when potassium, in the form of cider vinegar is fed to livestock their appearance improves and their stamina increases.
Cider vinegar is thought to be beneficial in the treatment of arthritis, as a supplement added to your pet’s daily water supply (or poured over the food) or with compresses soaked in hot vinegar applied directly to the joints. It is also thought to be helpful when used to treat allergies, osteoporosis, cancer, candida, high cholesterol, constipation, muscle cramps, colitis, diabetes, diarrhea, depression, dizziness, ear discharge, eczema, fatigue, kidney stones, kidney and bladder problems, metabolism, and stiff joints.
The supplementation of ACV has been known to naturally remove red tear stains from the inside out. It is also used by many to prevent fleas when used in a rinse for the dog’s coat.
Recently, Dr. Louis Ducarre of Geneva, Switzerland, author of the fairly new book,Natural Cures, Natural Life states that when mixed with honey, apple cider becomes potent enough to cure cancer, heart disease and other deadly ailments .
Natural apple cider vinegar is found in health food stores. It should be a rich amber color with the “mother” quite visible as sentiment on the bottom. The strength of vinegar is important. All varieties of vinegar contain about 4 to 7 percent acetic acid, with 5 percent being the most common amount. Acetic acid is what gives vinegar its tart and sour taste.
There is nothing beneficial about commercial distilled vinegars except for pickling, cleaning and disinfection —they have no health value!
Bragg, Paul and Linda, N.D., Ph.D., “Apple Cider Vinegar, Miracle Health System”, Published Health Science, Santa Barbara, California
Jarvis, D.C, M.D., D.C. “Folk Medicine”, and“Arthritis and Folk Medicine”, Published Fawcett Publications, Inc., Greenwich, Connecticut
Puotinen, C.J., “The Encyclopedia of Natural Pet Care” Published Keats Publishing, Inc., New Canaan, Connecticut

OP
Merrick Davison

Merrick Davison

Oct 12, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona, Kiya and Buddy
Hi everyone! So I couldnt be more pleased with our visit yesterday. The doctor himself has multiple bulldogs and actually hosts a bulldog parade here every year. He donates to research for bulldogs and also donates money to help grey hounds. He of course didnt tell me this a co-worker of mine who works with finding homes for grey hounds told me this. The doctor was actually on this website and specializes in English Bulldogs! The entire staff was welcoming, actually took pictures of Fiona bc they had never seen an all black and white bully! It was precious. And to top it off the vet loved her and gave her all kinds of treats, which of course she kept begging for more! The last vet never even offered her a treat, not that thats a deciding factor between the 2! The dr. was amazed that she was given a medicine that had sulfur in it. He said bulldogs should never be given that bc it dries out their tear ducts. That irrates me that I even spent the money on the medicine that would do that. This has been a HUGE learning factor for me on trust. To TOP everything off, both cultures showed NEGATIVE results. I was never given this information, but I had the old vet fax over all her records. She is now on all natural cranberry pills to treat her UTI. If this does not work he will take a cultured sample which he does inhouse and add antibiotics to the culture to find out what will work and what will not. He does believe that the cranberry should help, just as it does for humans. I am feeding Fiona currently Wellness dog food, I was told it was the best from a few co-workers. What is everyones opinion on that?

OP
Merrick Davison

Merrick Davison

Oct 12, 2011
Sarasota, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Fiona, Kiya and Buddy
Wow thank you so much for looking into that I will def give this a try as well. Anything is worth trying to fix this for her.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
so happy you found a vet you like and trust... all good wishes that things keep going well. Keep us posted!! she is so adorable!!

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Thanks for updating us. Hopefully this new vet will figure it out, both quicker and cheaper.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
What a difference a competent, caring health professional can make huh? My first bulldog vet experience was a negative one so I know how that can go. It's a great lesson for new bulldog parents; If the vet you have doesn't "feel right" - go elsewhere! I'm a "Yelper" so when I have a negative experience, the world knows about it.....just a thought.....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.