New to the bulldog world - allergies

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Wow! Big difference from that first picture! You're making progress and I know how relieved you must be that this is so.

OP
lisastrathern

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Another update, seems one step forward two back:( today was time for Guinness' next shot, gave him his bath this morning, took him at lunch for the demodex shot, came home and put his two-weekly frontline drop treatment on. This evening he is back to scratching like crazy till his ears and elbow were bleeding, very red tummy and mouth and gulping water! I freaked and tried to wash the Frontline off. The first time I ever put frontline on him was two weeks ago on vet advice but now I wonder if it hasn't been a big part of the problem all along:( that and I dropped the plastic tub with his food in it today and it crashed down and scared him, took me all day to coax him back into the kitchen...feel like the worst bully mum!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Another update, seems one step forward two back:( today was time for Guinness' next shot, gave him his bath this morning, took him at lunch for the demodex shot, came home and put his two-weekly frontline drop treatment on. This evening he is back to scratching like crazy till his ears and elbow were bleeding, very red tummy and mouth and gulping water! I freaked and tried to wash the Frontline off. The first time I ever put frontline on him was two weeks ago on vet advice but now I wonder if it hasn't been a big part of the problem all along:( that and I dropped the plastic tub with his food in it today and it crashed down and scared him, took me all day to coax him back into the kitchen...feel like the worst bully mum!!

How is the boy doing.... any better?

OP
lisastrathern

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
He's doing a little better, losing his hair badly but the spots are going away a bit on his tummy and legs, just still under his chin. He's not scared of the kitchen as bad phew! I just hope the fish oil kicks in soon to bring back his beautiful hair!! Maybe next week will see improvement :(

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Maybe it was a bit much for him to get the shot AND the flea treatment all at once? Hard to know with these guys what will do what.

Hoping he's feeling and looking better soon.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx so much for keeping us in the loop on how he is doing. Your not a bad bully mommy,,, quite the opposite; you are doing something... bad would be doing nothing. :)

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
[MENTION=3660]lisastrathern[/MENTION]

I just found this thread and like any bully mum, always concerned with the allergy thing. It just took me 6 weeks to fully change to our new food, Natures Variety Instinct , Salmon, went through some :poo: problems, during the process but now that's under control. Its a week to week thing at our house with multiple bully's . For now they are all eating the same thing. And no skin issues. Dolly, developed a cough on Tuesday,from what I believe is coming from nasal drip, from change of season and leaves dropping, when I give her Benadryl it stops. Knock on wood and pray for good health. Part of being a good bully mum is learning and changing things when necessary. You my friend, are a good bully mum.

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
try cream cheese---it more sticky and they will do anything for some --and it doesn't melt LOL!!!
but do try to go to a animal dermatologist , and be tested, it is close to $2000.00 but so worth it, I have a friend who's dog is allergic to all meats but beef, all grains-and any foods have some type of either grains or eggs in it , this dog cannot have any dog food except canned food --and one type of it , Kobi beef from Japan . ugh !!!

Last edited:

Lindathedogsmaid

Jan 30, 2010
Sequim ,Washington
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pippa & Peanut
please be careful with the benedryl--- dogs under 50 lbs can have 1 tab 3 x a day.(morning, non, and night) but dogs over 50 lbs can have 2 tabs, up to 3 x a day. all tabs are 25mgs each.
and do not forget dogs can have Peanut allergies just as humans do !!! that's why the cream cheese is so good

Poppy

Dec 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Poppy, Bunk
Poor guy. Try putting a t shirt on him, maybe it will protect him from scratching till he bleeds :(

OP
lisastrathern

lisastrathern

Nov 9, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
Guinness
Guinny update, he's finally growing his hair again! His head is no longer bald and the fronts of his legs are slowly filling in. His next vet follow up is next week for skin scrapings where we will find out if we are winning the war. I'm very hopeful though, his daily regimen is breakfast of candidae pure elements with some chopped up meat (currently rump off cuts, he's spoiled) followed by two fish oil tabs and two spirulina tabs wrapped in cream cheese (thanks for that tip, he thinks it's the best treat ever and wags his whole body while sitting for them). Then supper is more candidae and meat/fish. He has two baths a week in medicated shampoo and a dectomax shot once a week to kill mites. His scratching has all but stopped unless he's around fresh cut grass. I even tried another frontline treatment the other day as we are going o a bushy area for Xmas and I was nervous of ticks, no reaction to it at all - it must have been as suggested that with the shot and vaccine and frontline all at once was too much! Crossing fingers we are on the home stretch! Thanks again or all the great suggestions!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Guinny update, he's finally growing his hair again! His head is no longer bald and the fronts of his legs are slowly filling in. His next vet follow up is next week for skin scrapings where we will find out if we are winning the war. I'm very hopeful though, his daily regimen is breakfast of candidae pure elements with some chopped up meat (currently rump off cuts, he's spoiled) followed by two fish oil tabs and two spirulina tabs wrapped in cream cheese (thanks for that tip, he thinks it's the best treat ever and wags his whole body while sitting for them). Then supper is more candidae and meat/fish. He has two baths a week in medicated shampoo and a dectomax shot once a week to kill mites. His scratching has all but stopped unless he's around fresh cut grass. I even tried another frontline treatment the other day as we are going o a bushy area for Xmas and I was nervous of ticks, no reaction to it at all - it must have been as suggested that with the shot and vaccine and frontline all at once was too much! Crossing fingers we are on the home stretch! Thanks again or all the great suggestions!

Great to hear he is getting better..... thanks for the update and Have a very Merry Christmas!

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hope all is well with Guiness! Keep is posted on how he is doing! I forgot to mention in my initial post that I had to get scraped for demodex mange every 2-3 months to make sure it was gone. He still kept getting hives - but he has been 100% hive free for 2 months. I credit this to his very strict diet of Prescription Hill D/D Sensitive Skin food (which he loves!) and the Revolution monthly skin treatment we have been using. Interestingly enough...he got hives this week - and I think it was due to me missing him Revolution treatment by a few days (give every 30 days. When I got to day 35 - he got hives again). The vet thinks he may be prone to another type of mite (not demodex) that isn't showing up on his skin scraping - but that the Revolution is helping with. So - I just wanted to point this out to you. Every bully is different, with different sensitivities so you will need to learn your bullies patterns and try to be patient. Like everyone has said. Switch food slowly over a few days/weeks, try different foods until you can go 30 -45 days without hives/allergies, and don't give up.

Merry Christmas down under!
KristinMarie

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.