Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the bulldog world - allergies

Pooper scooper
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco, Roxy, Nico, Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New to the bulldog world - allergies

how much did the blood allergy test cost you?

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo49ers View Post
    how much did the blood allergy test cost you?
    Here in PA, it runs about 150.00
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Poppy, Bunk
    Likes (Received)

Poor guy. Try putting a t shirt on him, maybe it will protect him from scratching till he bleeds

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Guinny update, he's finally growing his hair again! His head is no longer bald and the fronts of his legs are slowly filling in. His next vet follow up is next week for skin scrapings where we will find out if we are winning the war. I'm very hopeful though, his daily regimen is breakfast of candidae pure elements with some chopped up meat (currently rump off cuts, he's spoiled) followed by two fish oil tabs and two spirulina tabs wrapped in cream cheese (thanks for that tip, he thinks it's the best treat ever and wags his whole body while sitting for them). Then supper is more candidae and meat/fish. He has two baths a week in medicated shampoo and a dectomax shot once a week to kill mites. His scratching has all but stopped unless he's around fresh cut grass. I even tried another frontline treatment the other day as we are going o a bushy area for Xmas and I was nervous of ticks, no reaction to it at all - it must have been as suggested that with the shot and vaccine and frontline all at once was too much! Crossing fingers we are on the home stretch! Thanks again or all the great suggestions!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lisastrathern View Post
    Guinny update, he's finally growing his hair again! His head is no longer bald and the fronts of his legs are slowly filling in. His next vet follow up is next week for skin scrapings where we will find out if we are winning the war. I'm very hopeful though, his daily regimen is breakfast of candidae pure elements with some chopped up meat (currently rump off cuts, he's spoiled) followed by two fish oil tabs and two spirulina tabs wrapped in cream cheese (thanks for that tip, he thinks it's the best treat ever and wags his whole body while sitting for them). Then supper is more candidae and meat/fish. He has two baths a week in medicated shampoo and a dectomax shot once a week to kill mites. His scratching has all but stopped unless he's around fresh cut grass. I even tried another frontline treatment the other day as we are going o a bushy area for Xmas and I was nervous of ticks, no reaction to it at all - it must have been as suggested that with the shot and vaccine and frontline all at once was too much! Crossing fingers we are on the home stretch! Thanks again or all the great suggestions!

Great to hear he is getting better..... thanks for the update and Have a very Merry Christmas!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Hope all is well with Guiness! Keep is posted on how he is doing! I forgot to mention in my initial post that I had to get scraped for demodex mange every 2-3 months to make sure it was gone. He still kept getting hives - but he has been 100% hive free for 2 months. I credit this to his very strict diet of Prescription Hill D/D Sensitive Skin food (which he loves!) and the Revolution monthly skin treatment we have been using. Interestingly enough...he got hives this week - and I think it was due to me missing him Revolution treatment by a few days (give every 30 days. When I got to day 35 - he got hives again). The vet thinks he may be prone to another type of mite (not demodex) that isn't showing up on his skin scraping - but that the Revolution is helping with. So - I just wanted to point this out to you. Every bully is different, with different sensitivities so you will need to learn your bullies patterns and try to be patient. Like everyone has said. Switch food slowly over a few days/weeks, try different foods until you can go 30 -45 days without hives/allergies, and don't give up.

Merry Christmas down under!
    KristinMarie
    Rocco's Mom

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I have a question, was this blood allergy test done at your vet , or at a dermatologist ?
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

i am late to this thread but im so glad your bully is doing better. its so hard when something is wrong and you dont know what. you are a great bully mama for staying with it and getting your bully better. have a merry christmas and keep us posted on the progress.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Merry Christmas to everyone, hope it was a happy one! We have had great news at guinny's vet check up, his first negative scraping! If he has another one next week then we can stop giving him the shots of dectomax his hair has grown back almost completely now, and is so shiny (I think the fish oil and spirulina have helped there) with the canidae food as well. One happy bully mama.

Not health related but he seems to be a teenager all of a sudden and gets territorial with his food and toys now if other dogs are around which he never did before, keep telling him to stop being a grouch haha

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Guinny had his second negative scraping today, so we are stopping the treatment, such a relief. Just under two months of stress but he's cured! thanks to everyone here for all the support, gave me a lot of great advice which really helped.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations! What a relief it must be. I'd be doing the happy dance.
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

-guinness7months020112-jpg-guinnyxmas2011-jpg

Guinny with hair on the left and still growing his hair at Xmas on the beach, wondering how to get the sand out of his face
    Last edited by lisastrathern; 01-04-2012 at 04:45 AM. Reason: added text

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads