Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New to the bulldog world - allergies

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New to the bulldog world - allergies

Welcome to the bully forum. This has been a wealth of education as a newer bully owner myself. Please look through my posts to see how I had to handle demodex mange. This was what started my bully with the allergy/hives. He had to have the mitoban dips though which are really toxic. Hopefully your medication treats the mange. BTW - they say the bullies could continue to get manage up until their immune system gets stronger, so you will need to keep checking for mange periodically until he is 18 to 24 months old.

I also started on the Royal Canin (breeder recommended too!) - and had the same issues. I have tried quite a few other foods and had not found anything that was great until now. We are on a special prescription diet from his vet. You can get it online or at petco (I bought from my vet). It's called Prescription Hill d/d. Sensitive Skin formula. It has Venison and potato and my Rocco loves it. Dry - no wet food needed. Also - you should not give any other treats or food of any kind until you can rule out what is causing his allergies. So far - so good. We went on a oral antihistamine called Hyroxyzine 50 mg (Rocco weighs 47 lbs) so you need to dose the dog based on weight. Benadryl wasn't working great on Rocco but this seems to do the trick great. I have it on hand just in case his hives come back.

Rocco is doing great! No hives in 3 weeks! His coat is shiny and he seems very happy and healthy. We will keep him on this food indefintely if we have too. The food might be a little expensive $58 for 17.5 lb bag - but it is way cheaper than the vet bills and it's working. Which means no more uncomfortable hives and itchy spots for Rocco.

Good luck and keep us posted! Welcome!
    Rocco's momma- Kristin
    Rocco's Mom

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Update

Thought I would give everyone an update - its been 24 hours and after a tough night (he was very subdued, vomited a few times) seems to be ALOT better today. The spots are still there but not nearly as inflamed so am hopeful that with a couple more days will be even better. Hes back to being playful too - phew.

I also tracked down a Canidae supplier here in Brissi, so have already started the slow process of switching him off RCanin to the grain free all life stages Canidae. Thanks to anyone who helped with the food rating thread - it gave me such a head start! He seems to prefer it already.

Some updated pics here
    -img_0766-jpg-img_0767-jpg-img_0770-jpg

Bulldog(s) Names
    Roscoe
    Likes (Received)

Hope the food switch works out for you! Don't get discouraged if you find you have to switch a few times. My little yorkie I used to have had mange mites once, that was such a pain to get rid of.
    I love your bully's dark spot over his eye by the way. Adorable

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Wow! Big difference from that first picture! You're making progress and I know how relieved you must be that this is so.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

Another update, seems one step forward two back today was time for Guinness' next shot, gave him his bath this morning, took him at lunch for the demodex shot, came home and put his two-weekly frontline drop treatment on. This evening he is back to scratching like crazy till his ears and elbow were bleeding, very red tummy and mouth and gulping water! I freaked and tried to wash the Frontline off. The first time I ever put frontline on him was two weeks ago on vet advice but now I wonder if it hasn't been a big part of the problem all along that and I dropped the plastic tub with his food in it today and it crashed down and scared him, took me all day to coax him back into the kitchen...feel like the worst bully mum!!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by lisastrathern View Post
    Another update, seems one step forward two back today was time for Guinness' next shot, gave him his bath this morning, took him at lunch for the demodex shot, came home and put his two-weekly frontline drop treatment on. This evening he is back to scratching like crazy till his ears and elbow were bleeding, very red tummy and mouth and gulping water! I freaked and tried to wash the Frontline off. The first time I ever put frontline on him was two weeks ago on vet advice but now I wonder if it hasn't been a big part of the problem all along that and I dropped the plastic tub with his food in it today and it crashed down and scared him, took me all day to coax him back into the kitchen...feel like the worst bully mum!!
    How is the boy doing.... any better?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Guinness
    Likes (Received)

He's doing a little better, losing his hair badly but the spots are going away a bit on his tummy and legs, just still under his chin. He's not scared of the kitchen as bad phew! I just hope the fish oil kicks in soon to bring back his beautiful hair!! Maybe next week will see improvement

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it was a bit much for him to get the shot AND the flea treatment all at once? Hard to know with these guys what will do what.

Hoping he's feeling and looking better soon.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Thanx so much for keeping us in the loop on how he is doing. Your not a bad bully mommy,,, quite the opposite; you are doing something... bad would be doing nothing.

Real Name
    Sherry Daye S.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
    Likes (Received)

@lisastrathern

I just found this thread and like any bully mum, always concerned with the allergy thing. It just took me 6 weeks to fully change to our new food, Natures Variety Instinct , Salmon, went through some problems, during the process but now that's under control. Its a week to week thing at our house with multiple bully's . For now they are all eating the same thing. And no skin issues. Dolly, developed a cough on Tuesday,from what I believe is coming from nasal drip, from change of season and leaves dropping, when I give her Benadryl it stops. Knock on wood and pray for good health. Part of being a good bully mum is learning and changing things when necessary. You my friend, are a good bully mum.
    Life is like a box of chocolate covered

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

try cream cheese---it more sticky and they will do anything for some --and it doesn't melt LOL!!!
    but do try to go to a animal dermatologist , and be tested, it is close to $2000.00 but so worth it, I have a friend who's dog is allergic to all meats but beef, all grains-and any foods have some type of either grains or eggs in it , this dog cannot have any dog food except canned food --and one type of it , Kobi beef from Japan . ugh !!!
    Last edited by Lindathedogsmaid; 11-26-2011 at 09:50 AM.
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Pet Sitter Become a 4 Paw Member Lindathedogsmaid's Avatar
    Real Name
    Linda Parks- 360 681 5089
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pippa & Peanut
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

please be careful with the benedryl--- dogs under 50 lbs can have 1 tab 3 x a day.(morning, non, and night) but dogs over 50 lbs can have 2 tabs, up to 3 x a day. all tabs are 25mgs each.
    and do not forget dogs can have Peanut allergies just as humans do !!! that's why the cream cheese is so good
    If you have a question regarding dog food, or behavior! call or e-mail me anytime.
    Linda Parks
    360-681-5089
    bullysmum@gmail.com

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads