yeast infection? allergy? irritation obviously

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Hi I have been reading on here about yeast infections and other irritations/allergies and just figured I would post to get the most help in my situation. I clean Winston's wrinkles daily with baby wipes which seems what everyone does. This morning when we got up I noticed that one of his wrinkles was irritated, and this is not his normal tear duct wrinkle its I guess one above his nose. Its really moist and redish, im not sure if it is a yeast infection or not. Please help.

Here is a picture of it, it looks bad i want to help him out.
photo(8).JPG

Thanks,
Jared

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes looks like he has a sore in there and wiping it made it leak. Cutty has had that also. I only keep cleaning it and it heals up fine, i never actually see where the problem is. I think in our case it is when we clean too thoroughly perhaps? Especially when hubby cleans so I think maybe just too rough? You will get a better solution for sure but dont stress it is common.

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hello.. yes look irritated.. question :when you clean with the baby wipe do you pat dry with a soft tissue or soft paper towel?.. the most important thing to keep the yeast away is to keep not only clean but VERY dry.. I would try putting some desitin on it.. looks sore :(

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
You can use a Qtip soaked in witch hazel..it's an astringent so will dry by itself..I would follow with a dry Qtip and then dab a tiny bit of destine creme .. I use Qtip for that too. I also think sometimes we try toooo hard!

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Ok, so last night I cleaned him out the best I could with a baby wipe, dried it with a tissue then put a Qtip with destine on it. I did this twice, once during the evening and once before we went to bed. This morning when we got up the desetine was mostly gone and there was a of gook that was redish/yellowish. I'm going to keep up with cleaning it and desitine, but i was thinking if this doesnt work maybe use neosporin?

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2920]Jungerland[/MENTION] - it takes some time to clear up - especially when a spot is this sore (looking). Bo had a spot in that recessed area behind the nose / between the eyes that just looked GAWD AWFUL and it's been diligent cleaning and keeping it dry (Malaket wipes - let it dry - then dab on some neosporin when it was raw looking) and it's clearing up nicely now. This appears to be a "trouble zone" for him (like Bea's tail pocket) so important to stay on it. The area UNDER the nose rope...ever looked under there? I know. I did. It was frightening - but amazingly dry and clean so good for me! I'm kicking *** - and my vet told me so. :angel:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
@Jungerland - it takes some time to clear up - especially when a spot is this sore (looking). Bo had a spot in that recessed area behind the nose / between the eyes that just looked GAWD AWFUL and it's been diligent cleaning and keeping it dry (Malaket wipes - let it dry - then dab on some neosporin when it was raw looking) and it's clearing up nicely now. This appears to be a "trouble zone" for him (like Bea's tail pocket) so important to stay on it. The area UNDER the nose rope...ever looked under there? I know. I did. It was frightening - but amazingly dry and clean so good for me! I'm kicking *** - and my vet told me so. :angel:

PERFECT ADVICE... consistency is key to the wrinkles.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
If the wrinkle is already red and raw. Wash with warm water with just a drop of mild dog shampoo. I use cotton balls so they don't irritate the skin further. Then use plain clean water (still use cotton balls) to remove any soapy residue. Finally dry thoroughly and then use neosporin. Repeat everyday till it heals up. Later you can use Desitin or vaseline to protect the skin from the moisture and the yeast that ultimately irritates the skin in the wrinkle. Be careful not to get any into the eyes. The vet can give you Panalog cream if you go to that route. That works great too! I use to buy it online but now it requires a prescription.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
well i cant add anything to what [MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] said. its what i was going to say. hope it clears up soon.

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
UPDATE: Yes Winston's face if starting to clear up. Thank you for all your advice, I ended up cleaning it out very good and then applying neosporin. It took about the weekend to start looking better. Being a newer bulldog owner I just was not sure on what to expect, my other dogs definitely did not need this much upkeep. He is absolutely worth all the extra care that he gets and needs.

Thanks again,
-Jared

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.