Anyone have experience with distichia?

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
yes Duke had that as well as Entropian but no worries you will know.. they can develop an ulcer.. tear stains could be from food allergies, environmental allergies and so many other things.. BUT I am beyond paranoid so I understand!! ha ha :lmao:

pigbaxterboo

Oct 16, 2011
Portland,Dorset,UK
Bulldog(s) Names
Baxter and George
My Baxter has this, about a year ago we had to have the lashes removed by electrolysis and they corrected the slight entropian which they think was caused by him squinting with it annoying him. Up until then Baxter had a few eye infections over a month or so and was constantly irritated with his eyes and scratching. Then distichia was diagnosed and we had no option but to put it right for him. It must have been a thicker lash causing the irritation as the row of lashes on the inside edge of his eyelid have grown back but they don't bother him now at all. It didn't cause Baxter to have tear stains, was just itchy and sore eyes.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Here's for the rest of us who have no idea what the heck this is! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distichia

I discussed Bo and Bea's tear stains with Dr Terry last week (again) as it's something of an obsession to get rid of them. He has Pugs - three of them - and told me that sometimes, just because of the way these dogs are built, you never get rid of them completely. You can improve things - but the way the eye and the tear duct are sometimes positioned on the dog, there's gonna be some "run off".

Of course, in my head I was singing that phrase from the song "Shaft", "You talkin' about tear stains? Shut yer mouth!")

I'm not giving up of course. I will win the battle of the streaky ukky tear stains if it's the last thing I do!

Connie03062

Mar 24, 2010
Nashua, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Ziggy & Cayenne & Midas
My boy Merlin had them frequently. I could always tell when they were there as he would take his paw and pull at his eyes like he was trying to get the lower lid away from his eye. I took him to an Optomologist who froze the lower lid..then the hairs just fall out and cannot grow back - at that spot anyway - he had them frozen at least 5 times before we got them all. The Optomologist said they are very painful as when they grown in they are sharp and are poking their eyes.

The hairs will continue to grow until they are 5 or 6..

Connie

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.