Help, Need advice!

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
I am a first time English Bulldog owner. My 8month old bulldog, Bean, has been fed Earthblend (dry) since we got her without problems. Throughout her life, she has always occasionally spit up, occasional regurgitation, small amounts. About a week ago, she developed diarrhea, 6 stools per day, fairly large amount. This did not resolve in a couple of days, so we took her to the vet. They tested stool samples and everything was fine. She has always been playful and active, and does not appear ill in any way.

The next day she vomited multiple times and we took her back to the vet. Her vomiting was more passive regurgitation with no retching. We took her back to the vet. They did xrays and barium swallow and everything looked OK except for perhaps slow emptying from the stomach. No blockages, no esophagus motility problems. Some labs were ordered and not back yet, but the dog looks healthy and playful still. Took her home yest, still has some regurgitation (we are now giving her smaller feedings of pureed food).
The diarrhea is gone. I know no one here is a vet, but just curious if bulldogs frequently regurgitate some of their food after feedings. Do they have "sensitive stomachs" in general. Any advice is much appreciated. Anyone with similar experiences or thoughts to share is much appreciated.

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
EBs having a sensitive stomach is an understatement. ..:yes:

Your pup may have developed an aversion to the Earthblend kibble she has been eating all her life...
Did your vet recommend changing foods? Something for Sensitive stomachs and with limited Ingredients (1 protein & 1 carb source)..
Let us know how the blood test results come back.
Good Luck

Last edited:

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
While I can't be of much help on this because HRH was 3.5 years when we got her I do know that puppies tummies are more sensitive than adults and thru EBN have heard much talk on the subject. I'm sorry if I missed your intro with pix of your sweetie but Id like to welcome you to the site and Im sure you will get more info from experienced people soon. ,...... Now about those pix???? LOL Enjoy the site. :)

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Roger..does Bean inhale her food? My Jake would eat so quickly he would throw up. I had to get a slow feeding ball for his dish. But I'm thinking that the vomiting in conjunction with the loose stools is MORE than eating quickly. If all the tests are negative and your vet feels otherwise she is in good health..I would maybe try the Bland Diet for a week and slowly transition her to a new..high quality food. Let's tag [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] and get her very educated opinion. I know you are worried...food causes so much havoc in our bullies lives.

You know..we've had a couple dogs who swallowed heads or parts of toys and often showed these symptoms. Have you checked all her toys? Just a thought. [MENTION=2091]BabyDuke[/MENTION] had a real bout with this

Last edited:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Welcome Roger!

Every so often, Bea gets what I call "sour tummy". Other than a bit o barf before or after breakfast - she's absolutely fine. Nothing wrong with her at all. I give her one Prilosec (the human heartburn medication) and it seems to do the trick to settle her gut.

I hope you find out what's wrong soon. It's maddening to wonder about these things.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
There are many possibilities I could come up with on this one, but first I want to tag [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] because I think, but not sure, that Maggie had this problem if I can remember?

Secondly, any chance something foreign was swallowed?

Question, how much food do you give per day? Maybe you are still giving puppy portions?

I would try bland diet for a couple of days to see if it helps, and I would also skip a feeding.

At this point

OP
R

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
thanks to everyone who has replied. I promise to get pics soon. In addition to the bland diet (which I will try), are there any other easily digested foods that can be easily obtained forum members recommend? Once she gets over this, I am going to change her food. Fortunately, xrays and barium swallow showed no megaesophagus, no obstruction or apparent foreign body. I am also going to be sure she sits for at least 90 minutes after eating before we let her out to play. I am giving her smaller, more frequent servings as well. She is the queen of our house (even my wife agrees)!!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2948]Roger[/MENTION]... you may want to ask your vet for a full blood screen allergy test. We went through this with our male, Nitschke. he was fine till about 14-15 months -- then constant regurgitation, out right vomitting -- turned out he was allergic to rice, yep, #1 ingredient in most dog foods. It is just a though, but bullies tend to have a lot of allergies --- food included.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
How much are you feeding, may have to cut back a little.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
My Wilson use to vomit quite often until I changed his food and eliminated all treats except for cheese. For the first two yearsI thought this was his "normal" till I found this forum. He also has ongoing allergies. Had a blood allergy test done and found out he was allergic to lamb, oats, pork and potato. Just recently changed to NVI Turkey Limited Ingredient.

d938265a.jpg

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
As always you have gotten great advice already. Welcome first. :) I have to add that canned pumpkin (100% pure, not pie filling) helps firm them up when they get loose. Just a spoonful a day is all they need. It is very good for them and has LOT OF HEALTHY FIBER AND VITAMINS. (sorry bout the caps, lol) It always helps when the :kids: get the runs. Otherwise you have great advice to start with. They do tend to gag sometimes and they also can get a flu just like we do. Make sure your baby is getting enough fluids first and if you feel she isnt then you can give pedialyte to help with it. Poor thing. Hope she is feeling better soon.

OP
R

Roger

Aug 5, 2011
thanks all for the replies. The bland diet seems to have helped a bit, as does small frequent feedings. Makes me sad though as she clearly is hungry when I give her her small feeds. Probably continue for 1 more day then try to advance feedings a bit. Two questions...
1) Do food allergies in bulldogs commonly present with regurgitatiting? Do some bullies have slow stomach emptying in general?
2)Once she is back to normal, how much should I feed my 8 month old bulldog? She currently weighs 32 lbs

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Hi Roger..well I'm glad things are settling down a bit. As you ease into her normal feedings..just go slowly. Allergies can present in a lot of ways. As 2bullymama told you..her Nitschke started vomiting at about 15 months..that was an allergy! Unfortunately..there just isn't a true answer. I feed Jake..who is nearly a year.. 1 cup twice a day. I repeatedly tried feeding him 1 1/2 cup at each feeding AND each time he got the runs! :bang: so..I just had to accept what worked and go on! At 32 pounds she is close to Orion..I'll ask [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION].. how much Orion gets at each feeding. Good luck..keep asking questions..it helps everyone!

Jack Daniels

Community Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Miami Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack Daniels
....,..keep asking questions..it helps everyone!

- What's the fastest animal in the world ?
- If a plane crashes on the border of USA & Canada where would they bury the survivors?
- How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.