Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, Need advice!

Default Re: Help, Need advice!

thanks all for the replies. The bland diet seems to have helped a bit, as does small frequent feedings. Makes me sad though as she clearly is hungry when I give her her small feeds. Probably continue for 1 more day then try to advance feedings a bit. Two questions...
    1) Do food allergies in bulldogs commonly present with regurgitatiting? Do some bullies have slow stomach emptying in general?
    2)Once she is back to normal, how much should I feed my 8 month old bulldog? She currently weighs 32 lbs

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger..well I'm glad things are settling down a bit. As you ease into her normal feedings..just go slowly. Allergies can present in a lot of ways. As 2bullymama told you..her Nitschke started vomiting at about 15 months..that was an allergy! Unfortunately..there just isn't a true answer. I feed Jake..who is nearly a year.. 1 cup twice a day. I repeatedly tried feeding him 1 1/2 cup at each feeding AND each time he got the runs! so..I just had to accept what worked and go on! At 32 pounds she is close to Orion..I'll ask @Libra926.. how much Orion gets at each feeding. Good luck..keep asking questions..it helps everyone!

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Will - Killer of All Ninjas
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jack Daniels
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JAKEISGREAT View Post
    ....,..keep asking questions..it helps everyone!

- What's the fastest animal in the world ?
    - If a plane crashes on the border of USA & Canada where would they bury the survivors?
    - How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Daniels View Post
    - What's the fastest animal in the world ?- If a plane crashes on the border of USA & Canada where would they bury the survivors?- How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?
    Oyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!

..Roger..obviously it can't help EVERYONE!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

O gets the same as Jake. 1 cup twice daily.

thanks everyone. On day 2 of bland diet, Bean is doing great. NO vomiting, normal stools. Mixing half earthblend (pureed) and half white rice. Instead of 2 bigger feedings, doing 4 smaller feedings and it is working. Prior to her getting sick, I was giving her 2 cups of earthblend kibble twice a day. I think I will cut back a bit even when she is back to normal (which may be now). Thinking about changing foods nonetheless. Does it matter if we feed dry vs. canned? (do bulldogs do better with a certain type?)

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Roger..you have been feeding her tooo much! She is a smaller bully and 4 cups of kibble are too much..even for a big guy! I think if you cut back her food you will see her tummy is better. You will find that discovering the "right" food for her is a guessing game..unless you have done an allergy screening. I wouldn't do too much change at once..first try cutting her food back each feeding..then once she seems stable..if you are going to change..ok! You might try reading up on the different foods AND their ratings. We have great info in our Articles section. Once you decide on a new food..the important thing is an easy and slow transition! Glad she is better!

thanks. Will do

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Krista
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug
    Likes (Received)

I had the same problems with Aubrey, except it went on for about 3 months. We tried many different things with her until we found something that worked. This is what helped Aubrey.Firsst, we put her on a bland diet: chicken, beef, rice. After a few days of having no problems, we added some veggies to her diet and also fed her some safe fruit for snacks (all of which I took from the raw food diet). She loved carrots, apples slices, and small amounts of banana as snacks. We also bought a beef flavored supplement to make sure she got protein and vitamins she needed just in case. After two weeks with no problems on this modified "bland" diet, we transitioned her to a high quality food. We chose Fromm Surf and Turf because it was grain free and highly recommended around here. We did a slow transition between foods. She has been great ever since! Also, whenever she has diarrhea we give her a 1/4th cup of oatmeal because pumpkin never worked for her. It calms her bowels quickly.We thought she was sick, but it turns out she needed a different food.

Thanks to everyone. Bean (my bullie) appears to be much better. Eating well (bland diet), no vomiting, no diarrhea. Acting great. As requested, I have posted a pic of Bean on the message board. It is in the New Member/Introduction section of the message boards. Roger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads