Just got back from Punkin's vet visit

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
All in all, it's good or as expected. The vet said that the red dot on his left cornea was probably from a previous lesion. He mentioned that bully's tend to get ulcers and other eye problems, which from this forum, I nodded and agreed. He checked Punkin's hind legs and hips when we told him our concern about him favouring his left leg and lifts his right every now and then. He determined that his left kneejoint is a little loose but his right is ok, which is opposite of what we've been seeing. But, similar to the eye situation, he wasn't too concerned and said to continue giving him glucosamine (from the chicken feet and other raw sources) and monitor for any changes. His heart rate's good. Yay!

The main problem that we need to focus on are his ears. We're going with the conventional treatment, as opposed to the natural, because the canals are very narrow due to yeast. He gave us some steroid/antibacterial/antifungal ointment to apply twice daily until our next appt which is in 3 weeks. Once we have a good handle on his ears, then we'll switch to something natural as a preventative.

We also need to provide them a stool sample to make sure that Punkin's free from any parasites. His stools aren't as solid as Stig's, so we figured it's better to be safe than sorry. Hopefully Stig didn't catch anything as they share their water bowls and such. Apparently, from his previous vet's records, Punkin had Giardia and another parasite when he was brought in from Peru. He was treated but our vet recommended that we do another checkup.

We've seen a great deal of improvement since we switched his diet, so we're crossing our fingers that the ointment will work for his ears and that he doesn't have any parasites. Now time to start a savings account for our sweet new guy. :luv:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Such a good feeling when a vet visit goes well. Good luck with the savings account -- give the bullies hugs!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw how wonderful punkin got a pretty good checkup. hope all goes well with the parasite test. :hug:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hooray for Punkin! I always hold my breath during the "heart test".....it's pure joy when it comes back AOK!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.