Tail Surgery Follow Up

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
George went in for his tail amputation today after a few months of flare ups, infections, and multiple, rigorous daily scrubbings. It was getting to the point where it was uncomfortable to have his tail cleaned. The surgery was inevitable and we are lucky we did it now because they said it was inverted to the point that it was ready to punture the skin and head into his body. He is in ICU at Cornell Animal Hospital where he had the surgery but doing OK. He seems to be a bit anxious but loves his med student that is with him. He was able to eat and was very happy about that. George still has an IV for fluids, pain medication, and a little bit of sedation. He needs the sedation to keep him calm because he is a people lover and will not sit down until he has your undivided attention. Hopefully we can bring him home tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for all of the thoughts and well wishes.

Georges paw.jpg

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh my that is wonderful he is doing so well. i mean not that he had to have surgery but that everything is ok. well it seems you made the right decision and we will be waiting to hear of news when he comes home. :hug: for you and george

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Oh boy that surgery sounds so sad BUT he will be a new bully soon! Everyone who has it done on their baby sees a huge diff in them. Poor thing.

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Thinking of George. I hope he gets to come home today where he will get the best nursing ever. I'm sure it will make a world of difference! Lots of hugs for both of you.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Good to hear! I look forward to George coming home to you. He's adorable and now he has a brand new bumper! (that's what we call butts)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
So good to know he is doing well... and hope he is home with you soon.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Kristin,

thank-you for your update on George. SO GLAD everything went well and sounds like he is in great hands at Cornell. Also sounds like the surgery was the best decision for him. Keep keeping us posted on your cute little guy! :heart:

Charles Yin

Oct 15, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
TBD
Congrats on a successful visit to the hospital. Sounds like the hardest part is in the past...

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3584]Kristin[/MENTION] - How's he doing? Did he come home yet?

OP
Kristin

Kristin

Oct 31, 2011
PA
Bulldog(s) Names
George
Hi everyone, Thank you all for the well wishes and virtual hugs. It has been busy with our little bullie boy. We did bring him home on Saturday because he was not content in the ICU. The doctor said George was very vocal. I just laughed and was glad he was being his bold self. We brought him home and Saturday and Sunday were extremely long days because he hates his e-collar but had to have it on incase his fentanyl patch fell off. That is a pain patch and if it fell off, he wouldn't be able to pick it up with the e-collar on. However, even though he was sleeping with his e-collar on, he was waking up every few hours, which is atypical and he would want to be playing.
Monday night, I noticed a little blister by in the incision on the right side and took a picture so that way I had the ability to compare the size periodically. Tuesday he woke up, seemed crazy wild like he has been and the blister did not change in size so I thought everything would be OK. Just then out of no where, blood started dripping on the floor from his incision. I called Cornell and they said take him to your vet because it is closer. I made the 40 m inute drive in 25 minutes and found that George started to dehisce (pull aparat) his incision. The vet and myself could not keep him calm enough for a good look at the stitches so they gave him a shot of acepromethazine (a sedative). So, this medication should have laster 12 hours, well by golly it lasted 4 and half. When I got home from work he was jumping and running and doing tricks; and again the bleeding. So for a few days George will be receiving the ace to keep him calm until the initial incision is sealed up. They also suggested for us to put pull-ups on him to act as a cushion and prevent the stitches from catching on anything.
All in all this was caused, they feel, because George has this weird behavior or getting on his back in his bed, or any bed, and he growls and flails his arms around and just wiggles on his back. It is the weirdest behavior ever, I always thought it was funny until now and I realize I should stop this behavior.
Over all, no sign of infection, some post surgical nausea from all the meds and a puppy who refuses to walk in pull-ups so he cries for us to pick him up and carry him at his tiny size of 40 lbs.
Here he is sunbathing in his pull-up....IMG_20111109_092209.jpg

Vicaroo1000

Jun 23, 2011
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=3584]Kristin[/MENTION] - thanks for the PM and for this detailed update. Your experience certainly supports the fact that tail amputation is indeed a last resort and not something anyone would want to enter into without a GREAT deal of thought. The healing time after the procedure is probably the most worrisome, isn't it? I love the visual of a puppy who won't walk in pull ups. hahahahaha

May George healing be swift and uneventful. Poor angel baby! He's lucky lucky lucky to have good Pawrents like you guys!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Thanx for the update Kristin. That pic looks like one p'ed puppy!! Talk about stink eye! LOL I hope he heals fast so he can get back to his usual mischief making. ;)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online