Yeasty Ears & Interceptor

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Last night Bruin had the WORST yeast smell. We were sitting there eating supper and all of the sudden my boyfriend and I look at each other and say 'ugh, whats that smell?'....surprise surprise, its Bruin. Now usually it's a fart from Bruin or Lilly that sends my boyfriend out of the room, but it was yeast in his ears. So I've been trying to think what the heck could have brought that on all of the sudden. So I'm reading this article http://www.thewholedog.org/ArtYeast.html and BING the lightbulb goes off. Tuesday night I gave them their monthly heartworm and Wednesday Bruin has horrible yeast in his ears. I didn't think "side effects" could happen that fast! Anyone else experience this with heartworm meds?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmm I am not sure if it could happen that quickly but you never know. Anyone else have exp? Maybe [MENTION=574]TessaAndSamson[/MENTION] or [MENTION=860]sheshistory[/MENTION] can help you in the ear department.

Do you put cotton in the ears while bathing? If any water, even a drop, gets into those ears it can cause a yeast takeover about a week or less later. Also food can be a yeast trigger in ears. Any change of diet in the past month?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
I was just addressing this in another thread about a food change. I don't know about Heartworm meds causing this unless there is an allergy there and so fast I would not think so. Is this the same Heartworm pill you have been using? She changed food 2 weeks ago and I was saying it could be food or environment as Sarah has had some ear problems this summer herself

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I don't bathe them too often. I mostly use the waterless shampoo. We just had a snow storm here on saturday. Maybe some water got in his ears then. I does like to "tear it up" in the snow.:D I changed them from nvi turkey/duck kibble to nvi lamb l.i.t. Lilly is one of those rare bullies that actually doesn't have any "issues", she does good on any food.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Isn't the LID have potatoes?

Potatoes, starches or glutens can cause yeast growth. I know the instinct formula has tapioca which is also bad for yeast, but not as much as potatoes.

Grain free is best if your bully can handle the potatoes.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Isn't the LID have potatoes?

Potatoes, starches or glutens can cause yeast growth. I know the instinct formula has tapioca which is also bad for yeast, but not as much as potatoes.

Grain free is best if your bully can handle the potatoes.
the nvi lid doesn't have potatoes, but the second ingredient is tapioca...which I had NO idea that tapioca can cause yeast too! Grrr:shout: What should I do? Maybe the turkey/duck is better since tapioca is the 4th ingredient....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.