Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Default no one watching the pets at the vets

i just found out that my vet does not have anyone staying at night with the pets who stay over for whatever reason. is this a normal practice? im told she checks on the ones who need it but there is no one there other than that. so is this just the way it is or is another vet in order? im sorry but this just freaked me out. you mean my pet is there in a box so to speak and there is no one to check on them or anything to make sure everyone is ok? they are just there alone for many hours till you open up in the morning. so what are everyones thoughts on this. Am i just being paranoid or is this not ok?

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: no one watching the pets at the vets

I think it has to do with the size of the clinic but Im not sure at all.... never thought about it.

Real Name
    Lari
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    (HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
    Likes (Received)

I think it depends on the clinic too. Considering what vets charge for overnight stays it certainly should be because someone is with them.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

That freaks me out too..... not sure, but I think it depends on the facility and their practice. Our vet has someone onsite because they also have boarding pets
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Agree with the above, but if one of my boys are staying overnight, I'd definitely want someone there to watch them. What's the point of them staying if no one's watching? I'd rather have them stay at home in their crates if need be.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Hmm... you know, and I'm probably gullible for assuming this, .... but I always thought that if they kept them overnight then they also had somebody there.

Seriously, what's the point? They keep the pets there because they need to be watched ... well if nobody there and the pet takes a turn for the worse or reacts bad to surgery etc then they would be better off at home!!

I have never thought for one second that there wouldn't be a vet tech there .... I'm shocked!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Ruckus
    Likes (Received)

My vet is not staffed overnight. His practice is on his farm so he does walk over to check on the animals a couple times throughout the night if needed. When he thought Ruckus was going to need surgery he wanted us to take him to a vet hospital where he could be monitored constantly through the night and weekend. Luckily we didn't need the surgery.

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

it is not unusual at all....lots of vets don't have someone on site 24 x 7. where i live there is 1 vet that is 24 hours...you can walk in at anytime and get vet care. so they have a full staff all night...but my vet doesn't and i don't worry about it...

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    Hmm... you know, and I'm probably gullible for assuming this, .... but I always thought that if they kept them overnight then they also had somebody there.

Seriously, what's the point? They keep the pets there because they need to be watched ... well if nobody there and the pet takes a turn for the worse or reacts bad to surgery etc then they would be better off at home!!

I have never thought for one second that there wouldn't be a vet tech there .... I'm shocked!!
    yes thats kinda how i felt and i was shocked also when i heard another vet didnt either and called mine to check and no they dont have anyone there all night. just check on them periodically if they need it. i just cant wrap my head around it even now. bf left sarah there one night cause she was not acting well just so she could be taken care of and i guess she wasnt. i guess its the fact they dont tell you noone is there that bothers me. if i had known this there is a couple of times sarah would have been home.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Well.I replied to this and I don't know where my reply went.................unfortunately this is the norm here in California. My vet does have overnight kennel people IF animals are recuperating from surgery. She only does surgery certain days..unless it's an emergency. She lives 5 minutes from the hospital and Ive driven past at ALL hours and someone has USUALLY been there. Like you..I was not comfortable leaving my pets unattended when boarding...which is offered..so we have gone the petsitter route.
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 11-02-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

I'd also like to ask if they charge extra for an overnight stay if there is nobody there?? Also ... if they say that somebody "periodically checks" .. well what does that mean. Somebody goes over and looks at them every two hours, three hours .. whatever. Again, if you leave your pet on the vets advice so that they can be monitored then shouldn't the monitoring be done continuously.

That's like being in the hospital overnight, and everybody leaving for the evening. But don't worry because a nurse will pop by every few hours just to make sure that nobody has gone into serious cardiac arrest etc. I'm baffled ...

Worlds Greatest Chef I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Henny
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure how my vet works as far as the boarding supervision goes for overnight stays. Luckily neither boys has had to stay the night, just during the day time. I know that in the hospital there's always a vet and and least 1 vet tech there 24/7 to monitor the animals but that's a different scenario than what you are talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads