no one watching the pets at the vets

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
i just found out that my vet does not have anyone staying at night with the pets who stay over for whatever reason. is this a normal practice? im told she checks on the ones who need it but there is no one there other than that. so is this just the way it is or is another vet in order? im sorry but this just freaked me out. you mean my pet is there in a box so to speak and there is no one to check on them or anything to make sure everyone is ok? they are just there alone for many hours till you open up in the morning. so what are everyones thoughts on this. Am i just being paranoid or is this not ok?

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I think it has to do with the size of the clinic but Im not sure at all.... never thought about it.

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
I think it depends on the clinic too. Considering what vets charge for overnight stays it certainly should be because someone is with them.

Attachments

• 20200428_212539.jpg
    20200428_212539.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 109

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
That freaks me out too..... not sure, but I think it depends on the facility and their practice. Our vet has someone onsite because they also have boarding pets

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Agree with the above, but if one of my boys are staying overnight, I'd definitely want someone there to watch them. What's the point of them staying if no one's watching? I'd rather have them stay at home in their crates if need be.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Hmm... you know, and I'm probably gullible for assuming this, .... but I always thought that if they kept them overnight then they also had somebody there.

Seriously, what's the point? They keep the pets there because they need to be watched ... well if nobody there and the pet takes a turn for the worse or reacts bad to surgery etc then they would be better off at home!!

I have never thought for one second that there wouldn't be a vet tech there .... I'm shocked!! :eek:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
My vet is not staffed overnight. His practice is on his farm so he does walk over to check on the animals a couple times throughout the night if needed. When he thought Ruckus was going to need surgery he wanted us to take him to a vet hospital where he could be monitored constantly through the night and weekend. Luckily we didn't need the surgery.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
it is not unusual at all....lots of vets don't have someone on site 24 x 7. where i live there is 1 vet that is 24 hours...you can walk in at anytime and get vet care. so they have a full staff all night...but my vet doesn't and i don't worry about it...

OP
cowsmom

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Hmm... you know, and I'm probably gullible for assuming this, .... but I always thought that if they kept them overnight then they also had somebody there.

Seriously, what's the point? They keep the pets there because they need to be watched ... well if nobody there and the pet takes a turn for the worse or reacts bad to surgery etc then they would be better off at home!!

I have never thought for one second that there wouldn't be a vet tech there .... I'm shocked!! :eek:
yes thats kinda how i felt and i was shocked also when i heard another vet didnt either and called mine to check and no they dont have anyone there all night. just check on them periodically if they need it. i just cant wrap my head around it even now. bf left sarah there one night cause she was not acting well just so she could be taken care of and i guess she wasnt. i guess its the fact they dont tell you noone is there that bothers me. if i had known this there is a couple of times sarah would have been home.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Well.I replied to this and I don't know where my reply went....:hissy:...:hissy:.....:hissy:.....unfortunately this is the norm here in California. My vet does have overnight kennel people IF animals are recuperating from surgery. She only does surgery certain days..unless it's an emergency. She lives 5 minutes from the hospital and Ive driven past at ALL hours and someone has USUALLY been there. Like you..I was not comfortable leaving my pets unattended when boarding...which is offered..so we have gone the petsitter route.

Last edited:

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'd also like to ask if they charge extra for an overnight stay if there is nobody there?? Also ... if they say that somebody "periodically checks" .. well what does that mean. Somebody goes over and looks at them every two hours, three hours .. whatever. Again, if you leave your pet on the vets advice so that they can be monitored then shouldn't the monitoring be done continuously.

That's like being in the hospital overnight, and everybody leaving for the evening. But don't worry because a nurse will pop by every few hours just to make sure that nobody has gone into serious cardiac arrest etc. I'm baffled ...:nope:

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm not sure how my vet works as far as the boarding supervision goes for overnight stays. Luckily neither boys has had to stay the night, just during the day time. I know that in the hospital there's always a vet and and least 1 vet tech there 24/7 to monitor the animals but that's a different scenario than what you are talking about.

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
Haven't y'all seen Terminator 3?

:D

Our vet doesn't have overnight staff either unless somebody is staying over due to surgery, or something to that effect, that requires constant monitoring.

Usually, though, their overnighters are those that just need to be quarantined or given limited movement and checked up in the morning so that the drive home and back is not an option due to undue stress on the dog. In these cases, I would think it is ok for the dog not be disturbed by unnecessary movement in the room and allow him to sleep the whole night through. But, at the same time, there are just a lot of what-if scenarios that would benefit from an overnight staff. So, yeah, I don't think I'll be comfortable leaving my dog at the vet without somebody checking up on them at night.

Now you make me wonder - do overnight boarding in places like Pet Hotels and such have overnight staff?

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.