Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My big girl still isn't walking - Help!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My big girl still isn't walking - Help!

@sleet Our foster, Tinkerbell, came to us after years of neglect and had very bad muscle atrophy in her hind legs. The vet said that her joints and bones were fine, but with work then the muscle strength would come back in those hind legs and she would be ok. For the first 3+ weeks it was like having a drunken bully because she would just stagger, but her detemination to play with our youngest bulldog, Daddy, was so great that gradually that strength started to come back. Tinkerbell will be 11 in February. If Tinks can do it then so can your baby.

First priority right now is to get those stitches healed enough that you feel happy to encourage activity. Once that is the case then here is my advice ... I know she has to be carried out to the bathroom but you need to encourage her to walk as much as possible. She's not used to it. She's not expecting to do it. She's never had to do it. NOW she's going to have to be forced to do it. After saying that, you do need to take into account those stitches and if walking right now could possibly cause them to come open then all these plans may need to take second place for now.

Please don't give up ... two weeks with the amount of activity she's been getting must be like running a race after spending 8 years being caged in a place where there has probably been no room to turn around. So every day she gets up and moves a little further, means that her own little private race gets to be a little longer each time.

Also never doubt her quality of life ... look at the place that she has been rescued from and then look around the room where she is now. Think about how many kisses and hugs she got before in that place, and then count how many times she gets kissed and hugged now. Do that and you'll never question her quality of life with you as her Momma.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dulcinea (Rosie)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by kazzy220 View Post
    @sleet Our foster, Tinkerbell, came to us after years of neglect and had very bad muscle atrophy in her hind legs. The vet said that her joints and bones were fine, but with work then the muscle strength would come back in those hind legs and she would be ok. For the first 3+ weeks it was like having a drunken bully because she would just stagger, but her detemination to play with our youngest bulldog, Daddy, was so great that gradually that strength started to come back. Tinkerbell will be 11 in February. If Tinks can do it then so can your baby.

First priority right now is to get those stitches healed enough that you feel happy to encourage activity. Once that is the case then here is my advice ... I know she has to be carried out to the bathroom but you need to encourage her to walk as much as possible. She's not used to it. She's not expecting to do it. She's never had to do it. NOW she's going to have to be forced to do it. After saying that, you do need to take into account those stitches and if walking right now could possibly cause them to come open then all these plans may need to take second place for now.

Please don't give up ... two weeks with the amount of activity she's been getting must be like running a race after spending 8 years being caged in a place where there has probably been no room to turn around. So every day she gets up and moves a little further, means that her own little private race gets to be a little longer each time.

Also never doubt her quality of life ... look at the place that she has been rescued from and then look around the room where she is now. Think about how many kisses and hugs she got before in that place, and then count how many times she gets kissed and hugged now. Do that and you'll never question her quality of life with you as her Momma.
    Thank you for your encouragement and first hand knowledge. I was was rushing to judgment and feeling that I wasn't doing enough or that it was cruel to keep her alive for my benefit. After reading your post - I feel like there is hope and that things will improve, I just need to be patient.

I believe you are right about making her use her muscles and you explained it in a way I not only understand, but that makes sense. I'm grateful for you taking the time to answer my post, and I'm grateful for this forum to help newbie bully owners. Thanks, hugs and kisses.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

@sleet i will add one thing. sarah had a torn acl when we got her that was just left and was repaired by us. she still has a bad limp but i have used joint meds for years for her but she really started improving when i started using wild alaskin salmon oil in her food. or fish oil basically. i use the spray on kind but some just feed the pills that humans use. maybe use both for her right now. i did stop giving her joint meds as the salmon oil seemed to work better and both are expensive but in your case both would probably be better for now. am i reading right that you are giving 2 joint meds? i dont know there is any benefit to giving 2 joint meds. the first one with the msm added should be just fine. maybe replace one joint med with the fish oil and see what happens. and bless you for taking her. just my 1/2 a cent.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Norman, LeRoy and China
    Likes (Received)

Wow... you guys are so awesome with all this advice for @sleet. I will use it all for my new foster girl. Thanks alot!!!
    Ask the experimenters why they experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are like us." Ask the experimenters why it is morally okay to experiment on animals, and the answer is: "Because the animals are not like us." Animal experimentation rests on a logical contradiction. ~Charles R. Magel

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dulcinea (Rosie)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks to all for your encouragement and making me realize that she needs time to heal. We have grown very attached to Rosie (new name - new start) and each little milestone is celebrated. Today is the first times she has gotten out of her bed and walked to the door to be let out. She walked out to the lawn and used the bathroom and walked back in. I week ago I would have told you that was impossible. So thanks to each and everyone of you that have encouraged me to hang in here and hope that her little legs will get stronger and that she will move on her own. She only moving 20% on her own - puts it's progress and we lover her to death. We couldn't come up with a new name which we thought would be good to let her know she is no longer in that puppy mill situation. Her little pink tongue stick all of the time and we've changed her named to Rose Bud - for the little pink tounge - or Rosie for short. She is really feeling part of the family and I thank all of your who gave your encouragement, and taught me patience in rehabing this sweet girl. xoxoxoxo and hugs to you all.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

@sleet.. to you and your family for loving Rose Bud. She is trying because of the love you are showing her! May I make a suggestion? We have a blog area on the forum and it would be wonderful to have you start a blog. Maybe start with your initial concerns and update us with her progress. Not only would WE love it..but think of how much it might help someone in your shoes in the future. I'm so happy she is improving! ..

...ps..I LOVE her name!

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh that is so fantastic. isn't is wonderful when your rescue bully starts improving. sarah could not squat to p when we got her. just wobbled and had to hold her hiney so she could go. now she is very strong. and to see their bodies become different and their faces take on a different look not of pain or sadness anymore but of love and happiness. its the best medicine in the world. bless you for taking this on and i love her new name. we also changed sarahs name when we got her as she didnt even know her old name so bravo to you and your family.

BullyWood Movie Star Fontanafox's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Wilson & BabyGirl
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations to both of you! I'm doing the happy dance!
    Wilson & BabyGirl

Real Name
    Jenn
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
    Likes (Received)

I am late to this thread as usual but have cried thru everyones posts here. I have nothing to add as far as advice having never dealt with this myself but thank you for saving this poor baby and showing her that not all humans are evil. Your hugs and kisses feel like angels wings to her I guarantee. This girl surely will love you like no other has cuz she knows you love her.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Yay Rosie! Her determined spirit pushes forward.... what a trooper she is! I wish I could squeeze her myself right now....*sniff*

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

What great progress... bless you all for taking her in and giving her the chance to a new life and learning to walk. Take pictures so we can see her progress.

I love her new name... Rose bud -- beautiful name for a beautiful girl!
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads