Are interdigital cysts painful?

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Ty has itchy paws, grass allergies I think. I wipe his feet often and have soaked them in epsom salt once. Well he now has what I think is a cyst between his toes. It may have been cause by his licking. My question is are these normally painful? I went to touch it and he grumpled at me. He is always very patient about eye, ear and tail pocket meds. I've done his nails with minimal issues so this isn't typical of him. If these cysts aren't supposed to be painful then I guess we are off to the vet again to see what this is.

nyerathrt

Jun 30, 2011
New York
Bulldog(s) Names
jameson and titan
They can be. TItan doesnt have them but in between his toes were starting to get red so at his yearly the vet said soak in epsom salt...they say hemorroid ointment is good

Last edited:

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Yes I believe that they are painful. Not that I have had them myself to know for sure but how could they not be? Cutty got them 1 time while on 1 of the foods a long time ago, we switched and he never had them since, knock on wood.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Sarah has had some that didn't seem painful n some that were I believe. I have been using chloraseb shampoo to soak them in. They are pretty much gone since I changed her food again n soak twice a week. Sarah had so many the vet did a scrape but no mange thank goodness. Hope Ty gets better soon

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I don't have personal experience with this but Ive seen it discussed here several times. I'm sure there is a treatment mentioned somewhere here on EBN so you don't have to go to the vet.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Not sure either. I thought they were more itchy because they tend to be licked, but who knows. When Stiggy got a couple from the salt outside during winter, we soaked his feet in epsom salt solution once a day for 10 mins daily for a couple of weeks I think. It worked well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yes, they are painful. Nitschke got them all the time until will got him off the rice. I also believe they are more related to food allergy than environmental.. as Nitshcke was allergic to grass, weeds and molds, but once we got his food straight he never got another cyst.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
Maggie got them when we put her on a Chicken flavoured food .. so we believe she has an allergy to chicken because it wasn't just interdigital cysts but a whole load of other stuff too.

I didnt' think they were painful ... more itchy and uncomfortable. However, Maggie licked hers so much that they became infected and epsom salts were totally useless for us. We ended up having to take her to the vets and got a foot soak, a lotion to rub on and she went on antibiotics.

I dont' want to scare you, because I think that was the worst case scenario!!

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Wilson had one foot full of those cysts and they gave him antibiotics and a spray and they went away overnight. They have never returned but I wash his feet a lot since then with the Epsom salts. I think they are uncomfortable or else why do they lick them? I caught BabyGirl licking her paw which she "never" does so I checked and sure enough I found a cyst beginning. Washed ger paw several times and used that spray the vet gave me for Wilson. I think it just has a drying agent. Well it went away too. Guess I caught it early. Vet says they are very common but if you've never seen one it can be alarming.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
The say the original gold/yellow listerine works well too if you put that on their paws!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.