Help! Skin irritation in wrinkle by eye!

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Scuttle has been licking incessantly throughout the night so I finally woke up to see what the heck she's been licking. I couldn't find anything on her body but then looking at her face I saw it! her wrinkle by her eye is all pink, raw, and stinky due to her rubbing it all night! I am a little freaked out right now which is why I am writing this at 3 A.M. I don't know if it's a hot spot or what. What can I put on it to help her to stop itching it? Any suggestions as to what it might be? I'm going to take her to the vet in sometime this afternoon but I need a couple more hours of sleep so I can function today. I would appreciate any help.

Oh, and just a side note...we do clean her wrinkles regularly, but the other day I noticed that she was rubbing that area with her paw and she popped her cherry eye out. Right after that, she went outside, came in and it was looking normal again. I'm not sure if she did something to her eye and it's bothering her or what. Thanks in advance!

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Hard to diagnose something without seeing it ... but if she's itching and driving herself crazy there's some kind of irritation there that demands attention. And with the eye, it can be SO many things.

Hey, I get up at o-crack-thirty because the forum is lighting fast at this time of day! hahahahahahahaha OK, not BECAUSE...it's just a side benefit of being an early riser.

Someone will come along with something for you [MENTION=3245]ScuttleGirl[/MENTION]!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Thanks! I'm going to take her to the vet today so I'll post something when I know.

And I'm not THAT early of a riser :nope: but I'll do anything to try and make her comfortable! I ended up sleeping on the floor with her so I could keep her from licking and rubbing the area. She slept great! Who needs sleep anyways...I've got the rest of my life to sleep :) Thanks again!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
I wonder if a Benedryl would help her??? at least relieve the itching a little. 1 capsule for each 25 pounds of dog, twice a day is what is usually the dose .

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
I would give her some benadryl too. But let us know how the vet visit goes. :)

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
Aside from benedryl I have nothing to offer without knowing what it is. Let us know how the vet visit goes tho for sure!

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
I agree Benedry. But please let us know how the vet goes.

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
Okay, sorry being so late with an update. I took Scuttle to the vet and they did a culture to see if it was yeast and it came back negative. She does, however, have a bacterial infection. How the heck that happened I have no clue. I told him our routine for cleaning, etc. and he said that it could have been something as simple as her rolling in the dirt, scratching with her claw, and it getting infected. He cleaned it, put a topical spray (Gentamicin Spray) that I can also use for maintenance, gave her an antibiotic (Simplicef) and steroid (Temaril-P), AND, last but not least, a shot (Dexamethasone SP) to help her immediately with the itching.

I have to admit, I totally cried in front of the doctor! Call it a lack of sleep or whatever, LOL! He was very gracious and kind. He had to step out for a moment due to an emergency with another animal and I have to say I was a little relieved. It gave me time to get myself together. I took my 16-year-old with me so she helped me too :) All-in-all, Scuttle seems to already be feeling better and is even resting better. I'm PRAYING she will sleep tonight. She's already had her first antibiotic and I will clean her wrinkles with the spray here in a bit. Thank you ALL for your concern! I am very grateful for this group and the people and advice! I will keep the Benadryl in mind for future reference!

By the way, my vet is AWESOME! He himself is an owner of English Bulldogs and has been very helpful with Scuttle. He takes the time to talk to me and answers all my many questions. Scuttle and I are very blessed!!

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
aw im late with this but am so happy that your vet visit went well and that you have medicine to help scuttle. aww give us more updates as you can. last time i was at the vets i cried to so i know how ya feel.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
I'm late too but glad that it has all worked out ok ... sounds like you have a wonderful vet. Maybe you should add him to our vet recommendation thread if you haven't already added him!!!

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
I'm late too but glad that it has all worked out ok ... sounds like you have a wonderful vet. Maybe you should add him to our vet recommendation thread if you haven't already added him!!!

I'm still learning about all the great things about this site! Thanks for the tip...I'm going to do it right now :)

OP
ScuttleGirl

ScuttleGirl

Sep 15, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
Bulldog(s) Names
Scuttle
The area is already looking MUCH better and we both got a really GOOD nights sleep last night. I only had to stop her from licking twice :) You can tell she is feeling much better today! Thanks all for the encouragement!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.