Hives!!

KristinMarie

Jul 30, 2011
Bellevue, WA
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Hi! So glad your bully is doing better! I've been dealing with hives on and off for the last year. We are in the middle of a hive outbreak now. Woke up yesterday with the swollen face and hives on his legs and tummy. We just finished a round of steroid/antihistimine treatment (14 days) 2 days ago - so it is def not under control. We have done skin scrapings looking for demodex mange (since he had this about 4 months ago quite badly and had to be treated with the Mitaban dips 3 times that are super toxic!). No demodex mange mites found in the last 3 scrapings over the last 1.5 months.

We are now wondering if it is food and/or mites. This is our new plan that the vet and I came up with. We are on a sensitive food prescription diet (hypoallergenic). No treats, or any other food allowed. Could be 4 weeks before we know if the food he was on was the problem (he was eating the Royal Canon bully food). We are also on oral antihistimine for another 14 days (3 x per day). And we are starting Revolution (used for flea, tick, mites control). It could be another type of mite that is causing the problem that isn't showing up on the skin scraping. He had to have a blood test to make sure no heart worm before we filled his prescription for the Revolution.

So far so good. We are +1 day on food and meds. Revolution will arrive in the mail on Tuesday (petmeds.com) and we will watch and see. No hives today and his skin actually feels really soft and clean. So, maybe the special food is starting to help.

I'll keep you all posted! Good thing our bullies are so darn cute and sweet and we are good mommies and daddies - cause they sure keep us worried and these vet bills are so darn expensive!!!
Happy Halloween everyone.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.