Hives!!

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Lola woke us at 4am scratching. Got up with her and she is covered with hives, her eyes are really swollen, and her face is really red. It's driving her crazy. No new food, and we were home all day yesterday. Seriously there are probably a hundred bumps, some small and some nickel sized on her sides. Gave her two benadryl with no noticeable effect now 2 hours later. Will be taking her to the vet as soon as they open. Does this sound environmental? It happened so suddenly.

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
oooooo poor baby! I'm a newbie to the hive game so hopefully someone with far more experience will help you here. Last night, Bo had a bout of them and Bea did not - but I can't blame the new food (Avoderm Beef) just yet; I have them each a half cup of Acorn Squash Riosotto last night as a treat.... *ducks* I know! I know! Bad mommy........

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
when sarah has hives and a reaction like that it is usually not envirnomental. its something she has eaten or come in direct contact with. she had environmental hives not to long ago but it wasnt as extensive as you are describing. honestly its a matter of ruling things out. did you leave the windows open? did you turn the central heat on? did they get some new treats or people food? did you bathe in a new shampoo? did you put flea meds on? things like that. since you are taking it to the vet maybe ask about allergy testing. im getting sarah done soon. please keep us updated.

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
Vet opens in an hour and I'll be calling for an appt. She is sleeping now, but I don't see any improvement. Her eyes were almost swollen shut before she went to sleep. I still can't think of anything new. We did turn the heat on, but it was a few days ago.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
im wondering if you can give another benadryl but it looks like a puppy so im not sure. gosh i hope they find out what it is. hives suck no matter what.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
were there any onions in the risotto?? we always cook with onions and we have to be very careful of what we give our lola...

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@korikelly im going to tag @desertskybulldogs she has much experience with bulldogs and pups. maybe she will know if you can give more benadryl or not till you go to the vet. how old is she?

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2258]korikelly[/MENTION] --- we have had sevral rounds of hives with Banks, and one was at 5 AM with her doing the same thing as Lola. Eyes swollen shut, scratching, bleeding from scratching the hives .... she is going to need a steroid shot to get it under control. We still never knew or know what gets her going, but it is all environmental as she is allergic to practically everything outside tress, grass, weeds, mold and even house fly!!

Get the full screen blood allergy test done.... it will at least help you know what to avoid

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION]... food can also cause the hives, of course, but Banks food allergies are nothing compared to her environmental -- here is a pic from 2009 where we think she touched a tree that she is a high on the allergic list (Alder)

IMG_5002.jpg

We took her to the emergency room - she got a shot of predizone and was breathing normal in a few minutes.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
@2BullyMama holy cow. that looked like sarah when she got that food she is allergic to. ok i stand corrected can be environmental to. i was just thinking since they were just laying there in the house sleeping it was not environmental. well hopefully she will post soon and we will know something. also thats why i love this site you can teach something and learn something new to.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I would get her to the vet IMMEDIATELY. Wait at their door if you have to. She could swell up and close off her throat. GOO go gooooo gooo now!!! She needs a steriod!!!!

Edit: I thought that pic of Banks was this bully, but even still. If they are swelling up that much and covered in hives it is dangerous for them. I would be on my way there and if they wont take you for an emergency, they will direct you to who can.

Last edited:

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Hopefully this is all resolved by now. Very scary. My boston was covered in hives like that after she stepped on a bee (the vet was able to locate a stinger). I cried the whole way to the vet. Good luck!!

OP
korikelly

korikelly

Apr 21, 2011
Oregon
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola
All's good now! Lola's face is back to normal and the worst of the hives are gone. I called the vet at 9 as soon as they opened and they told me to bring her right in. Love them! She got an allergy shot (dexameth something) and sent her home with prednisone. They think it was a spider bite since it happened in the middle of the night. Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Made me feel tons better.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
so glad she is doing better..... it is a very scary experience

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online