Hairy paws

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
I searched through the forums to see if this subject was already covered, but couldn't find anything.

Does anyone trim the hair on the bottom of their bulldog's paws? I know I read this some where before but cannot find anything on it now. There's just some hair that has grown long enough over the pads, so I was wondering if I should take some scissors or "nose" trimmers and clip them a little. I can actually see his paws slipping on the tile/hardwood.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yes you can trim it. I have not trimmed my bullies, but I had a Lab and I would trim the hair on her paws because it would get long.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
I know this is done with Golden's but idk about bulldogs. I do know however that if it is long and not trimmed it will form ice crystals in between the pads in the snow and these are extremely painful.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I had trimmed Nitschke's a few times, but never needed to do Banks

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
I trim Bullie's if it gets longer than the pad of the paws - which is not very often. I inspect it when I'm trimming her nails. Gizmo's (bichon) get his done at the salon on a monthly basis. If we don't trim that hair, it gets muddy/dirty/crusty and it is a task to keep clean.

By the way - all the dogs I've ever had are ticklish when you rub the ends of that hair. :D

L

Lucy-licious

If its making him slip on the tiles I would trim. I would use nail scissors personally just to snip of a little bit, rather than nose clippers that may take it back too much.

OP
LillyNBruin

LillyNBruin

Community Veteran
Mar 22, 2010
Central Mass
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruin & Lilly
Thanks everyone!! As always.. what a great website!!

Most Reactions