Watery Eyes/wet folds-Allergies?

Fontanafox

Jan 25, 2011
Fontana, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wilson & BabyGirl
Got my dog blood allergy tested and found out he was allergic to Lamb, Pork, Potato, Sweet Potato, Venison, Wheat and Oats. They gave me a printout of the results and a "very thorough" list of dog foods dry and canned that they recommend. Wish I had done this sooner. I've switched to Natures Variety Instinct Limited Ingredient Turkey. Too soon to report results but as you can see, every dog is different. I don't give any more treats to my dogs as they can have a lot of "junk" ingredients that can cause problems. No raw hides or bully sticks. Only deer antlers. You can actually get elk and moose antlers too but I haven't tried those yet. As far as wrinkles are concerned I just use a drop or two of mild dog shampoo in a bowl of warm water. Whisk it up and use a small washcloth or better yet cotton balls. Then I thoroughly rinse and dry and then with a Qtip I carefully rub a little vaseline along the path of the wrinkle. If the wrinkle is already red, raw and irritated then I use Neosporin instead. Although if you keep it up it should never get to that point. Well that works for my dogs. BabyGirl says:

17423ec9.jpg

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
His nose rope is never wet...just the wrinkles along the side of his nose and under his eyes. If they are red or irritated is that how you know they have a yeast infection?

So that's a "no" to the bully sticks because they are gross? haha Or is it for a health reason?

Can you not see the picture in my avatar of Tonka? It shows up on my screen. I also have a profile picture and an album with a few pics of him.

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
His nose rope is never wet...just the wrinkles along the side of his nose and under his eyes. If they are red or irritated is that how you know they have a yeast infection?

So that's a "no" to the bully sticks because they are gross? haha Or is it for a health reason?

Can you not see the picture in my avatar of Tonka? It shows up on my screen. I also have a profile picture and an album with a few pics of him.

I personally think the bully sticks or pizzle sticks are gross lol!,they stink really bad when the get wet and soggy, and Ruckus almost choked on a softened chuck that he inhaled, and it made him sick too.

OP
Meggs19

Meggs19

Oct 14, 2011
Madison, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Tonka
I switched Tonka to deer antlers and he loves them! I'm confused at how I can tell if he has a yeast infection or not in his wrinkles. It's hard to even tell if it looks red or inflamed because of his tear stains which are a rusty reddish color to begin with. I can't tell if it's the rusty color or if it's red in there...especially on the side of his face that is white and the skin underneath is naturally a little pinkish. As far as smell...when it's really damp in there it can have a bit of a musty smell but nothing extreme or very noticeable. I think it's just the moisture in there.

My main question is...how do I know if it's an infection? I hate to switch Tonka's food because he seems to be displaying no other symptoms besides the watery eyes...no bumps and solid poops. So then maybe it's environmental? He does have an occasional wet/drip outside his nose and will sneeze now and then.

Thanks for the help!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I switched Tonka to deer antlers and he loves them! I'm confused at how I can tell if he has a yeast infection or not in his wrinkles. It's hard to even tell if it looks red or inflamed because of his tear stains which are a rusty reddish color to begin with. I can't tell if it's the rusty color or if it's red in there...especially on the side of his face that is white and the skin underneath is naturally a little pinkish. As far as smell...when it's really damp in there it can have a bit of a musty smell but nothing extreme or very noticeable. I think it's just the moisture in there.

My main question is...how do I know if it's an infection? I hate to switch Tonka's food because he seems to be displaying no other symptoms besides the watery eyes...no bumps and solid poops. So then maybe it's environmental? He does have an occasional wet/drip outside his nose and will sneeze now and then.

Thanks for the help!

Yeast infection will have a strong sour odor and be red/raw looking. Clean his folds with witch hazel on a cotton pad twice a week and the other days with a nonscented babywipe or warm towel but be sure to dry after using either of those. Witch Hazel is a natural astringent so it will dry on its own.

Cole Bulldogz

Dec 21, 2017
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SueWee and Stella Mae
The folds will STINK... out of desperation.. I had tried everything... neosporin, witch hazel, hydrogen peroxide, desitin (Which is great but gets EVERYWHERE!!!)... A & D ointment... what worked... Nystatin... for humans!!! its a RX but I had some in my medicine chest and tried it... OVERNIGHT!!!! face no longer stinks... I'm planning to leave her on it for a week or so and than go to Monistat for a couple times a week regimen....

As far as food... I have done ALOT of reading on this and honestly the most "Limited" food I found is the Elite Sport... they have beef and whitefish.... it is truly limited and doesn't have any grain, chicken or chicken meal or by products, pea, white potato, soy, gluten, GMO, corn, flax, alfalfa, phytoestrogens, ethoxyquin, canolo oil, beet pulp or pomace. It has Beef Meal, sweet potato, beef liver, pumpkin, blueberries, bok choy, zucchini, squash, papaya and artichoke and a list of Good bacteria that they need. Our Bullies have been on for about 3 months and digestive issues our youngest was having have cleared up... the yeast... another story... our vet told us with our older one if you have to treat medically and it comes back (BAD in her ears, and skin) than its prob a long term treatment she will just live on. I am adding a good acidophofolis to their diet as well.

for watery eyes... its said that the tap water has alot to do with this problem... we have just put both ours on distilled water... will update in a couple months to see if this actually helps....

Tea tree oil (Diluted) is good for their paws if they are licking them... it kills off things naturally and they DO NOT like the smell so it stopped mine from licking their paws...

IF yours get the cycts between the toes than soak them in epsom salt and warm water for about 15 min 2x a day until gone than one time a day for another week... this works everytime for us....

Good luck bullie families...

berlin78

Jun 23, 2017
WA State
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Sophie & Chloe (Bella RIP 2019)
I thought tea tree oil was highly toxic to canines, no?

Members online

No members online now.