Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stella has Demodex =(

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Default Stella has Demodex =(

Our sweet Stella had what we thought was a hot spot between her shoulders back in July. A vet at our Animal Hospital (not our regular Dr., it was a Saturday) had diagnosed her as having a hot spot. He shaved the area, prescribed Neo predef and tetra powder. (He did not do a scrape)
    It seemed to get better , the hair grew back and then the spot reappeared again, but smaller. I posted a thread about it here.
    I thought that maybe it was allergy related so I changed her food from Blue Buffalo to Fromm. We even brought her to the breeder over the summer for him to look at the spot, he recommended A&D ointment. He said it was possible that it could be Demodex Mange, but didn't really appear that way.
    So we were trying the ointment, using the prescription powder and even tried cornstarch. About 2 weeks ago the spot was swollen and red and we stopped putting anything on it and it really seemed to improve until this past weekend. It seemed to be spreading to a larger area. Also my poor Stella stepped on a seashell or something sharp on the beach on Saturday and had a small cut on her left paw pad, that seemed to be bothering her. We took her to the vet (our regular Dr.) yesterday and he did a scrape and it's Demodex Mange.
    He shaved the area and gave us a prescription for Goodwinol ointment and an antibiotic too for the cut on her paw. The Dr. wants us to come back for a recheck next week.
    I feel so upset because I think she had Demodex all along and I feel like a bad Mommy.
    I the ointment helps right away. Does anyone else have experience with this? I am so worried that it's going to take a long time to get rid of.
    I wanted to share my experience because I know several others on the forum are having similar issues with skin problems and aren't sure if it's hot spots, allergies or demodex. My advice is go to your vet and have a scrape done.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Stella has Demodex =(

Poor Stella, hope she gets better soon. No help on the Demodex, none of my bullies have had it, (knock on wood). My beagle got it when she was about a year old and the vet we took her too dipped her, that was 11 years age. They have come along way with treatments since then.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

oh i am no help with mange but i know @GatorRay has experience with it ill tag her and maybe she can help. i so hope they get better soon. i know a few others here have had experience so im sure someone will be along soon to help. i think they said they were given ivermactin or something like that for it.

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Don't feel like a bad mommy.... Ive heard it is very common and at least you are catching it early. Mange has a bad connotation but it isn't as bad as a lot of things. May take a while ... or not.

The Ultimate Sourmug Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Stig Racecar Driver and Punkin Brutus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Don't fret. The vet giving you an ointment to treat it says that you caught it early. I had to buy expensive pills for Stig because we caught it later. Although I believe a change in food could've stopped it as it was a second reaction to his food allergies. So changing to Fromm will definitely help her, maybe even give plain yogurt everyday until she finishes the round of antibiotics to help boost her immune system.

And sorry she got an ouchie on her pad. Hopefully that heals very quickly.

You're a fantastic bully mom. All we need to do is look at Stella's face and you'd be able to tell how loved she is.
    Last edited by savemejeebus; 10-26-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    "I am normally not a praying man, but if you really are up there, please save me Superman!'' - Homer J. Simpson

Bulldog(s) Names
    Chloie
    Likes (Received)

I am having the same thing happen with my Chloie. The Vet has scraped her and they aren't sure what it could be. They gave me a medicated power and it seems to dry it up but she has spots all over her.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Moses
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

We went through this with Moe... vet gave us some mustard looking cream to apply daily... we did, and it worked.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

Brooklyn had demodex. She had one bad spot on her face but another small one on one of her back legs. So my vet gave us ivermectin to give her daily. One month of treatment and it was gone. We added salmon oil to her food to help her immune system, since having a depressed immune system is why demodectic mange occurs. The salmon oil also made her fur grow back in beautifully.

Kennel Cleaner
    Real Name
    Rosita
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brewer
    Likes (Received)

Brewer currently has it. He has several spots. I thought it was bug bites at first and applied neosporin. Then when that didn't work and it was spreading I thought it was food allergies. When I switched that and it was still spreading I took him to the vet. So it was prolly a month before I got him to the vet. The vet gave him antibiotics and I have to do dips once a week for four weeks. I just did the second one yesterday and so far I do not see any results. Not very happy at this point that it's not working, but I will wait patiently. i am so upset becuase the dip is basically a pestacide and I am bathing him in that for 20 mins, all the while we are inhaling it. That one vet appt cost me 183$. Come to find out the whole reason he got it was because he had a sinus infection and his immune system was down. Now in two weeks I have to go back and pay another office visit, and more scrapings to see if it worked. Ugg.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Don't blame yourself! I have no idea what it is and I would hope I could find it and treat it as quickly as you did! Ummm..and the first vet sure isn't YOUR fault!

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Poor baby Stella, hope she gets better soon.. I am no help on the Demodex, sorry. do not blame yourself, these things happen and you are doing the best thing getting it addressed fast. How is her paw... was the cut really bad?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dulcinea (Rosie)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry you have to deal with this problem, but hope the salmon oil and meds will help get rid of it. Sending hugs to Stella.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads