Stella has Demodex =(

OP
beachbumjen

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
[MENTION=2614]Vicaroo1000[/MENTION] - yes mange sounds so awful! I hope we can get rid of it quickly. My biggest fear is that it will spread. I was never such a worry wart until this wonderful girl joined our family.

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
beachbumjen - I just did a google search for "salmon oil for dogs" and got lots of hits from holistic pet stores to PetCo. You can probably find a store that meets your needs and it looks like it runs from $17.99 on up depending on the size you buy. Because it is an oil and can go rancid, I'd probably order the smallest size until you find the oil you like best. Alaskan salmon oil (not a brand) but rather the place where they different companies get their oil sounds like the best. I knew many boxer people that swear by it for their dogs' coats. Good luck and hope it helps.

Sarah

Jun 7, 2011
CT
Bulldog(s) Names
Brooklyn and Franklin
Just check the label and make sure it is just salmon oil and they usually contain rosemary extracts too. Also wild is better than farm raised. I currently use one that I got at Petco (not the petco brand one though) but I just found a different brand online that was a lot cheaper that we will be continuing with after this bottle is gone. The stuff lasts forever though since you only give one or two pumps a day depending on weight, yes it can go bad but it takes a while, especially if you keep it in the fridge.

OP
beachbumjen

beachbumjen

Jun 9, 2011
By the beach
Bulldog(s) Names
Stella
Update on Stella:

We went back to the vet Tuesday evening for a recheck. The spot looks so much better and the hair is actually starting to grow back! :D
The vet said he was really happy with how great it looked and how well she is responding to the treatment. He wants us to continue to use the ointment until Thanksgiving week and go for another check. He said he will scrape once more to make sure it's all gone. The cut on her paw was healed in 2 or 3 days after using neosporin daily.
Stella seems like she is feeling so much better, she doesn't seem to be itchy anymore. I am so happy we found out what the issue was and that she's responding so well to the treatment.
We started giving her salmon oil daily also. I will update after we go back to the vet later this month.

RescueMe

Community Veteran
Mar 2, 2011
Chaffee, MO
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
Mine both had demodex at a young age. I got the goodwinol ointment from amazon and that cleared it right up.

Suzy2

Apr 24, 2011
Accrington Northern England
Bulldog(s) Names
Dexter & Winston
Sorry to hear this, although don't blame yourself, you've done really well to catch it early; so that it's treatable with cream.I'd also recommend pro biotic yoghurt as a daily supplement, to boost the immune system and MANUKA honey is good too. However, DON'T USE the YOGHURT until the course of ANTIBIOTICS is FINISHED. Antibiotics kill all bugs good and bad, the yoghurt is good bugs, but it will just give the antibiotics more to fight against. You can safely use the yoghurt the day after the course is completed.

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
i know you feel bad but at least you know what the problem is,i wished annie had mange then i could clear it up,instead allergy which is no fun ,all will be good very soon ,karen

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Sorry to hear this, although don't blame yourself, you've done really well to catch it early; so that it's treatable with cream.I'd also recommend pro biotic yoghurt as a daily supplement, to boost the immune system and MANUKA honey is good too. However, DON'T USE the YOGHURT until the course of ANTIBIOTICS is FINISHED. Antibiotics kill all bugs good and bad, the yoghurt is good bugs, but it will just give the antibiotics more to fight against. You can safely use the yoghurt the day after the course is completed.

Ditto on this... it is important NOT to use yogurt til after antibiotics are finished.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.