Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stella has Demodex =(

Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Stella has Demodex =(

Hi there,
    Please see my previous postings about my bully baby's experience with demodex mange.

"Hi there, I have an 11 month old bullie boy named Rocco. I noticed a few spots on his back about 6 months ago where the hair was missing. It didn't seem to bother him so I didn't worry about it. At his 6 month check up they said it was probably just a skin mite - and his immune system would kick in over the next few months and fight it so dont' worry about it. It seemed to not be getting worse so I didn't worry about it - per the vets recommendation.

However - over the next month or so he started breaking out in hives (starting under his eyes, on his feet and eventually on his chest and head). I would call the vet and they instructed me to give benadryl and warned it was probably something he got into outside causing the allergic reaction. This helped with the hives - where they would disappear after the benadryl in a few hours. However it started happening more and more frequently - to the point where one morning after having an attack the night before he was covered in hives and is face was so swollen I could hardly recognize him.

I rushed him into the vet and they did some tests - it turned out he had mange. Mange is a parasite that all dog breeds carry - but because the bulldog has a surpressed immune system - it causes it to get out of control and they dogs can lose their hair, have seizures and it can be fatal if it goes un-treated. Of course I was freaked out. He was prescribed Mitaban dips - which also has its own set of side effects including "neuroligical events such as seizures" - but I had to risk it. He had 3 dips 2 weeks apart over 6 weeks. All without issue. Thank god! He is parasite free now and seems to be doing great. No hives or allergic reactions since the treatment finished about 3 weeks ago. His hair is growing back and it should be fully back in a few weeks.

They told me I should keep an eye on it until he is 18 to 24 months old - at which point his immune system should be more developed to help keep the parasites in check. They also suggested I look into supplements to help boost the immune system. I'm trying different foods recommended for bullies that include supplements that help boost the immune system.

If you haven't gotten him checked for parasites, mites or mange (all the same thing, but the vets seem to call it different things). I would get this looked at right away. I also have a friend with a female bully that gets hot spots that get infected all the time. They said it was allergies that cause them and are doing weekly injections to help - so far so good).

Good luck and please keep us posted. Find a new vet if you think your vet isn't aggressive enough or not making you feel like they know what they are dealing with. Never accept the first opinion - do your research and make sure you have all the data to make informed decisions about your bullies care. Take care and all the best!!!"
    Rocco's Mom

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

Demodex Mange is quite common - althought it's heartbreaking when the vet says YOUR little guy/gal has it! Dr. Terry tested Bo for it the last time we were in there and found three adult mites - no other life stages - so he felt it was best NOT to treat it as he was likely on the tail end of it (pun intended) anyway. It's a puppy thing I guess - quite common - but anything called "mange" seems terrible, doesn't it?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for the kind words and advice

@Sarah and @sleet Where would I find the salmon oil? Whole Foods or similar or pet store? Is there a specific brand? How does it smell? I would really like to consider using it.

@Mary Kay What type of medicated powder? Did you get the results of the scrape?

@2BullyMama The cut is a small puncture wound, it's not a slice or anything, but we could tell right away that it was bothering her. The vet checked to see if there was anything (seashell, glass etc) in her pad but couldn't find anything. The vet said to use neosporin. It's looking a little better and she's not favoring it so much.

@KristinMarie Thank you for reposting your story. The vet did diagnose as demodex mange, he did the scrape and saw the mites under the microscope
    He wants to try starting with the ointment and only use the dip as a last resort since it's in a localized spot. We really like our vet very much.
    The one that my husband met with for the issue the first time isn't our regular Dr.
    I don't blame that Dr., it's just when it could have possibly been treated already, that's what I find so upsetting.

We gave Stella some plain greek yogurt last night, she seemed to really enjoy it.
    I will definitely let everyone know how she is doing.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

@Vicaroo1000 - yes mange sounds so awful! I hope we can get rid of it quickly. My biggest fear is that it will spread. I was never such a worry wart until this wonderful girl joined our family.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

double post. sorry
    Last edited by beachbumjen; 10-27-2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dulcinea (Rosie)
    Likes (Received)

beachbumjen - I just did a google search for "salmon oil for dogs" and got lots of hits from holistic pet stores to PetCo. You can probably find a store that meets your needs and it looks like it runs from $17.99 on up depending on the size you buy. Because it is an oil and can go rancid, I'd probably order the smallest size until you find the oil you like best. Alaskan salmon oil (not a brand) but rather the place where they different companies get their oil sounds like the best. I knew many boxer people that swear by it for their dogs' coats. Good luck and hope it helps.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

Just check the label and make sure it is just salmon oil and they usually contain rosemary extracts too. Also wild is better than farm raised. I currently use one that I got at Petco (not the petco brand one though) but I just found a different brand online that was a lot cheaper that we will be continuing with after this bottle is gone. The stuff lasts forever though since you only give one or two pumps a day depending on weight, yes it can go bad but it takes a while, especially if you keep it in the fridge.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Stella
    Likes (Received)

Update on Stella:

We went back to the vet Tuesday evening for a recheck. The spot looks so much better and the hair is actually starting to grow back!
    The vet said he was really happy with how great it looked and how well she is responding to the treatment. He wants us to continue to use the ointment until Thanksgiving week and go for another check. He said he will scrape once more to make sure it's all gone. The cut on her paw was healed in 2 or 3 days after using neosporin daily.
    Stella seems like she is feeling so much better, she doesn't seem to be itchy anymore. I am so happy we found out what the issue was and that she's responding so well to the treatment.
    We started giving her salmon oil daily also. I will update after we go back to the vet later this month.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola Blue, Mojo Titus and Gracie,Caleb, Bogart and Ziggy forever in my heart Roxy and Rollo
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Mine both had demodex at a young age. I got the goodwinol ointment from amazon and that cleared it right up.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter & Winston
    Likes (Received)

Sorry to hear this, although don't blame yourself, you've done really well to catch it early; so that it's treatable with cream.I'd also recommend pro biotic yoghurt as a daily supplement, to boost the immune system and MANUKA honey is good too. However, DON'T USE the YOGHURT until the course of ANTIBIOTICS is FINISHED. Antibiotics kill all bugs good and bad, the yoghurt is good bugs, but it will just give the antibiotics more to fight against. You can safely use the yoghurt the day after the course is completed.
    x Susan x

Bulldog Vet in Training karenben's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hilda
    Likes (Received)

i know you feel bad but at least you know what the problem is,i wished annie had mange then i could clear it up,instead allergy which is no fun ,all will be good very soon ,karen

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy2 View Post
    Sorry to hear this, although don't blame yourself, you've done really well to catch it early; so that it's treatable with cream.I'd also recommend pro biotic yoghurt as a daily supplement, to boost the immune system and MANUKA honey is good too. However, DON'T USE the YOGHURT until the course of ANTIBIOTICS is FINISHED. Antibiotics kill all bugs good and bad, the yoghurt is good bugs, but it will just give the antibiotics more to fight against. You can safely use the yoghurt the day after the course is completed.
    Ditto on this... it is important NOT to use yogurt til after antibiotics are finished.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads