Sorry another bowel question please

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
:shout:

ok, Duke has been on NVI beef ( dry ) mixed with duck ( wet) for months now.. done VERY well, coat looks great, full of energy etc..

something for about the past 2-3 weeks though he is pooping BRICKS ha ha sorry to be so descriptive..

he grunts and only goes about 3-4 .. so I would give pumpkin.. instantly he has better bowels but as soon as I take the pumpkin away he goes back to pooping bricks?? I feel bad for him he seems like it takes a lot of effort to get it out..

suggestions? is it ok to keep the pumpkin daily or should I add something??

thanks for your help! other than that he looks great and is a little nut ball! happy as heck! :tongue:

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
This is exactly what happened with Ruckus, then he couldn't go at all. I know pumpkin is fine, just not sure if there is a limit. I actually contacted NVI about this (didn't go real well) but they suggested adding can in w/ the dry. My vet said we could keep Ruckus on a stool softener every day, but we ended up switching foods.

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
Have you tried varying to ratio of wet to dry?
I don't know about using pumpkin all the time.... maybe someone else knows that.

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Have you tried varying to ratio of wet to dry?
I don't know about using pumpkin all the time.... maybe someone else knows that.

I thought of that too.. its just weird for months he was fine this has been in the past 2-3 weeks? would you think adding more wet then?
also someone suggested adding some yogurt?

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
This is exactly what happened with Ruckus, then he couldn't go at all. I know pumpkin is fine, just not sure if there is a limit. I actually contacted NVI about this (didn't go real well) but they suggested adding can in w/ the dry. My vet said we could keep Ruckus on a stool softener every day, but we ended up switching foods.

what did you switch to ?? and did that solve the problem?? thanks!

BruceP

Aug 12, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Bulldog(s) Names
HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
We give Princess Gracie a huge tablespoon of yogurt every morning in her breakfast..... Great for their immune system. You could try it.
We prefer plain Greek yogurt but our local grocer doesn't carry it so we get Dannon Low Fat Plain from there. We get the Greek when we go to one of the bigger chains. Both work but Greek is supposed to be better somehow. ??

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
We are using Natural Balance LID sweet potato & salmon. So far so good, we even stopped the stool softener.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
You may try adding more of the wet food. Yogurt is good and I don't see where a little pumpkin would hurt everyday. If that does not work then I would switch foods.

Last edited:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
I think if you use pumpkin everyday..it might cause a problem! Only because it's used for constipation and diaherria..so I'm thinking it might not be the best thing to do! Like for people..ALWAYS using a laxative can lead to other issues! I think more liquid..ie..canned food might help! Just a guess tho!!

OP
BabyDuke

BabyDuke

Community Veteran
Mar 25, 2011
Philadelphia PA
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
I think if you use pumpkin everyday..it might cause a problem! Only because it's used for constipation and diaherria..so I'm thinking it might not be the best thing to do! Like for people..ALWAYS using a laxative can lead to other issues! I think more liquid..ie..canned food might help! Just a guess tho!!

good point! I am going to try increasing the wet food a bit.. thanks everyone! :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Bea had the same issue on the NVI Salmon; and I mix canned a 1/8th cup canned Wellness (any meat/sweet pototo) and hot water with their food to make gravy. The salmon did not affect Bo in this way - but he itches like a goon - so we're moving on to something else....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.