too much protein or moisture??

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well i never!!,as you know ive struggled with annies constant itching for 7 months now,i first fed her at 12 weeks on james wellbelloved,i have fed all my bulldogs on it without any problems,but i heard about a great food called fish4dogs,it was very expensive so i thought well shes worth it BIG BIG mistake ,in a short time she was itching,so was it the food,as you know i started raw feeding great diet she ate everything and was so healthy except she still itched constantly,now ive been thinking constantly about her itch how sad when my life revolves around a dog and its itch!!,i telephoned another breeder with a view to getting 1 of her soon to be born pups ,my thinking is another bully may take annies mind off the itch ,whilst talking to this breeder who was so helpfull unlike annies!!!,we came up with was annie getting too much protien??,what to do?im a big advocate of raw feed BUT is it suiting my dog?after thinking hard about it i purchased a bag of her original kibble james wellbeloved,i started her on it on saturday just gone and her itching started to subside after her second meal,now heres the thing,i purchased a tumble dryer last year,now my old man never got round to plumbing it in so whilst ive been using it all the moisture has been coming into the kitchen so you can imagine everywhere was getting damp,i kept nagging him to sort it but you know what men are like its always tommorow!!last sunday after a night out on the jack daniels and waking up with the headache from hell i blew my top,what i said i cannot repeat as i would get banned lol,so he plummed the dryer vent through the wall,so no more damp in the kitchen,moisture and bulldogs do not go in hand and i should have realised this,so maybe the food change which saddens me to put her back on kibble ,or moisture and maybe mold spores??,yes shes having the odd itch but i would say 90%better ,no tshirt either,if she carries on as well as she has then i will try her on the carpets then grass ,so fingers crossed we may see light at the end of the tunnel,karen

L

Lucy-licious

That's great news karen. I am so happy she is not as itchy. I feed Lucy JWB, I did try f4dogs also but didn't rate it so went back to old faithful JWB.
Ooh a new puppy :) I'm looking to get another Nxt yr.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
lol a new bully,trying to talk my old man around hes been put off getting another cos of annies problems,he says do we really need to pay a lot of money for another bully for it to maybe end up with allergies?ive looked into other breeds but always end up back at bulldogs lol,after having 5 over the years they become a bit addictive,told him id sell my body to pay for another,he said well if you can manage to look after a bulldog when your in your 90s then go for it!!!!cheeky bugger ,told him i would only be 60 thats how long it would take me to earn 2000 pound lol,im only 49 now!!!!,could sell 1 0f my skin kids ha ha,karen

anatess

Jul 26, 2011
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullie (RIP) & Angus (RIP)
What's too much protein to a carnivore?

No, too much protein won't cause itchiness. The TYPE of protein may cause one... like the relatively common ones are allergic reaction to beef, chicken, or pork. Dampness can cause itchiness. But then, too dry can cause itchiness as well. Different types of fabric can cause itchiness. Fabric detergent and/or softeners can cause itchiness too.

And one thing about dog allergies... a lot of times, it's not because of the food.

H

heff101

Good ole Jack Daniels. Has made many a women scream. In more ways then one!!

ROFLMAO

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
oh thats so great that annie is better. im kinda with [MENTION=2874]anatess[/MENTION]. not sure to much protein but maybe she was allergic to a kind you were feeding. maybe you could do kibble for one meal and raw for another. or have u tried maybe just doing one kind of protein. well im sure you know all this karen but you know me always throwing something out there. whatever makes annie feel better whether its raw or kibble is what i say as ive struggled with sarah forever with her food.

GatorRay

I am in total control....I think
Feb 25, 2011
Louisville, KY
Bulldog(s) Names
Gator & Lucy Goosey, the Basset and Gigi (AKA Gypsy)
Don't feel bad about the kibble! Just like with any food, maybe raw just wasn't for her? It will be hard to tell with the dryer getting fixed at the same time.

sleet

Oct 23, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Bulldog(s) Names
Dulcinea (Rosie)
Good luck finding the right food. I agree that there can be many things in the environment causing the allergies and not just the food. But it's miserable for both of you while it lasts.

OP
karenben

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
well wether its been too much protein or the dampness all i know is she looks and feels beter,my daughter visited last night not seeing annie for 4 days ,the first thing she said was had i bathed her ,she looks so different!!!,i had not told her that i had put annie back on kibble so there must be a difference,,karen

L

Lucy-licious

Well whatever the cause Karen...I am just so happy for you that beautiful Annie is feeling better :)

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
Well whatever the cause Karen...I am just so happy for you that beautiful Annie is feeling better :)

Absolutely! That's the main thing!

I'm also glad your dryer is venting properly. Mold is a serious health hazzard to some folks. My neighbor gets "go to hospital style sick" when she encounters it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online