Banks - update and back to vet

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well she was back to the vet yesterday (Saturday), we had an 1:15 appointment and did not leave till 4:00 --- ugh! The office only had one Dr. yesterday due to low volume of appointments, but three emergencies came in and Dr. Johnson was doing his best to move along. They actually offered to go buy us coffee/snacks because of the wait.

So, her colitis is still an issue, no blood, but her poo is still not firming up and now she is starting to vomit, mostly bile, but still concerning. She is also not herself yesterday and today - just sleeping and laying on couch with Lewis. However, on Friday night, Lewis said she did not sleep at all, was very restless and seemed either in pain or uncomfortable, either way she kept moving around the bed and sitting staring at him. As Dr. Jonhson examined her and listened to our explanation of the issues, he took out his phone and sent a text msg to Dr. Rossi -- they conferred and took her off all meds as they suspect that being on the metromidozle (sp?) at a high dosage for over three weeks was causing some side effects. So it was best to take her off. we are to keep her on the bland diet and call in a few days with a status.

Banks is highly food motivated and never turns down a meal, treat or crumb, which makes it difficult to know when she is really sick or if something is wrong. We gave her a half cup of food at 7:00pm - so far, so good. Regardless of how tonight goes, Dr. Rossi will be getting a call in the morning... call us paranoid, but something is going on with our little girl inners and we want to get it fixed up.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Oh my gosh. I bet too you are worried. I hope everything will be okay. You certainly don't need any more stress right now. I feel bad for you guys. Poor Banks give her a hug from me. :hug:

LariP

Aug 4, 2010
Milwaukee, WI
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
(HRH) Her Royal Highness Princess Gracie & Princess Amelia Pond (Amy)
Hope whatever is causing this gets discovered and fixed soon!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Poor Banks, hope they figure it out soon. bully hugs to her and you.

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
Oh my I sure hope they find out what is wrong. Lots of well wishes your way

Piamitch

Sep 5, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus
Man!! I hope they get this figured out soon!! I know how you feel cause I was a mess trying to figure out stomach issues w/ ruckus. Our vet put him on the royal canin gastro intestinal for a week, then once he was going normal we transitioned the food.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm thinking of sweet Banks and wishing her well! When you wrote that she was moving around in bed and sitting up and just staring, it just touched me b/c that's what Tate does when he cannot sleep or isn't feeling well...he'll just sit there and look at me. i know he's tired but something's just not right. So, hearing that Banks is going thru this makes me feel sad for her too. I'm glad to hear she's eating though and i know she is in good hands. The antibiotic she was on is known to cause a lot of GI problems as side effects so hopefully her being off of it will help. I will be saying a prayer for her and you tonight. :heart:

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Christine..man..this is so stressful for you..I hope the antibiotics were the root of this..like[MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] suggested. I can imagine what's going thru your heart and head.. Let us know and I'll be :pray:

Vicaroo1000

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb
Jun 23, 2011
Mukilteo, Washington State
Bulldog(s) Names
Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] - [MENTION=2092]JAKEISGREAT[/MENTION] took the words right outta my brain. I'd be freaking out. You are a strong woman and I admire that resolve.... I really do. I'd say "Hang in there" but you already are. Don't you wish these squishy little faces could talk? *Thinking good, good thoughts*

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Big A$$ sigh --- Lewis took Banks back to the vet today, Dr. Rossi. She was throwing up bile all day Sunday, we did not feed or give her any meds on Sunday. We did give her 1/2 cup of food this morning and she held it down, but we did not give any meds.

They were there for over two hours... blood work, xrays and laser treatment. Dr. Rossi is not worried about the colitis as she is not bleeding, but she will remain on a bland diet with a little pumpkin - no meds. All her blood work came back normal, but after Nitschke that really does not mean much to me, her xrays showed all her 'inners' looked very healthy, but her spine. We have known since she was about 1 1/2 that she has infused disks, three of them, right in the middle of her back...bone on bone and nothing can be done for it because she most likely was born this way, without cartridge. We had laser therapy done to loosen the muscle and lessen the pain. He stated if this were any other breed she would not be walking and most likely be close to death due to the pain.

He believes the pain from the back is causing her stomach issues ... normal thing any animal/person would be going through. He wants us to think about doing bi-weekly or monthly laser treatments for her to manage her pain. Right now she is back to herself, wanting to play and looking to get into trouble. Her poo is very soft but no blood and if we do the treatments -- there are no meds which I think is best as I would not want to add to the tummy and poo issues, so I think laser will be our choice.

UGH~

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Hoping this will resolve. poor little girl. she's very lucky to have you guys.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.