Is this hives, hot spot or what?!?!

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
I am new with this stuff, Cutty and Mugsy have never had this before so what to do from you guys is a big help. Here are 2 pics I just took this morning. Is this something I should worry about or allergy related or what?
img_1395.jpg

img_1394.jpg

[MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] [MENTION=1046]bulldog family[/MENTION] is this what mrsa looks like?!?!?! Now I am anxious! [MENTION=900]KMARINO[/MENTION] is this similar to what Vegas had? What happened with it?

Last edited:
OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
In the first pic you can almost see that it has red all the way to her knee even.

JAKEISGREAT

Mar 25, 2011
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Jake
Oh dear! It looks like hives to me.. But I'm certainly no expert! Hotspots are usually more localized and they are very angry looking...:hmm:.. [MENTION=2291]cowsmom[/MENTION] might know..

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
It looks like staph, Jack get's that every now and then, it's a real pain to rid of. See what everyone else thinks.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
It looks like staph, Jack get's that every now and then, it's a real pain to rid of. See what everyone else thinks.

What is staph and what do you put on it? Is it contagious? At first I just thought the sores were from cutty biting. The sore on her neck is totally diff looking cuz of course it has been chewed on by Cutty but should I be concerned that it is something else too?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Antibiotics work best but there's also Benadryl you should give and Pyoben shampoo from the vet works too, need to dry those suckers up (scabby things)., ya gotta really stay on top of this stuff, just when you think it's gone, it's back / always something.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Antibiotics work best but there's also Benadryl you should give and Pyoben shampoo from the vet works too, need to dry those suckers up (scabby things)., ya gotta really stay on top of this stuff, just when you think it's gone, it's back / always something.

Ok for right now I should give benedryl then? My gosh is it going to spread to the boys or even my 2 legged babies? Good thing I love Miila so much already! :lol: She does seem to itch there at times but of course cant reach thankfully.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok for right now I should give benedryl then? My gosh is it going to spread to the boys or even my 2 legged babies? Good thing I love Miila so much already! :lol: She does seem to itch there at times but of course cant reach thankfully.

I'm not sure if its contagious, I don't think so but I could be wrong, Google to see if it is. or maybe someone on here know for sure. No one else at my house ever caught it, so that's why I say don't think so. Yea the Beny will help dry it up. you know 25 mg. for every 25 pounds. Griz is 69 pounds, but I give him 3.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
So if she is 35 pounds should I give 2 or try and break 1 in half? Or just give 1? My boys are so easy cuz Mugs is 25 and Cutty is just over 50. Gosh I hope I get more replies soon cuz when I look up staph that is what mrsa is called and that is a whole can of something I dont want. This one is going to be my headache isnt she?! Making up for Cutty and Mugsy being so easy all these years!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Staph is everywhere, why it affects one and not the other who knows. For now I would put some neosporin on it, if it starts spreading or gets wore by Monday I would take her to the vet.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I'm late getting on this one, but staph infxns will usually present as crusty lesions...i cannot tell if these are or not. Monitor for that though. Also, are they itchy sores?
The topical antibiotic is a good idea for now (like [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] said, neosporin), and maybe a warm compress 3x/day. The easiest way to do the warm compress is to make hardboiled eggs and allow to cool til they're warm but not hot to handle and gently roll around on their sores.

For Miila, i'd give only 25mg benadryl and see how she responds. Just to be on the safe side, wash your hands frequently when handling the pups and also if your kids are playing with them too. Hopefully this is not a staph infxn and possibly "just" hives that will dissipate soon.

OP
cali~jenn

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for your replies I will watch it and post more tomorrow I am sure. :)

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 102

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
are they anywhere else on her?

cowsmom

Apr 27, 2011
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sarah aka cow
hives are not sores. i would def keep an eye on it as there is redness going down the leg. the others gave good ideas on what to put on it so i will not add to that but if not better in a few days i would think a vet trip is in order to make sure all is ok. i would not think it contagous either. hang in there hon. :hug:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.