Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: flea medicine advice?!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jade
    Likes (Received)

Question flea medicine advice?!

Hey all... my baby Jade is six months old and I started to see her itching I found two adult fleas! I also was checking through her fur and found the "flea dirt/flea feces" Now my question is what I need to use on her as in flea meds or shampoos that are going to be safe for her! I have heard frontline plus is good on bulldogs but I wanted to check with everyone here first! Any advice is greatly appreciated!!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: flea medicine advice?!

we use the pet armor plus from walmart. it's the same meds as frontline but cheaper. but we use it as a preventative against getting them, not as a treatment for an infestation.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Jade
    Likes (Received)

@Sarah... thank you 'I'm headed to walmart... maybe i can start using that so it doesnt get worse! I'm hoping there were only two fleas but how sneaky they are theres probably more ughhh.... i have i doberman pup the same age so just hoping we can maintain the fleas before it gets out of control!

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

I have put one dose of revolution on Jake and I just don't want to use that poison anymore. It's such a hard thing! I did just discover something that works to kill live fleas! My daughter rescued a teeny kitten and it was just covered in huge fleas! .. You wet them..soak really..than lather with Dawn dish soap! Let it sit as long as you can..then rinse..we actually lathered this poor kitten two times..the water was actually bloody...there were so many bites! The great thing is it KILLS the fleas..now you have to repeat every 5 or 6 days to catch the life cycle..just a bit of interesting info..that works! Now..my question is..they use Dawn to clean oil off wildlife caught in oil spills..and now it kills fleas..should we really wash our dishes in it? ..

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dexter & Winston
    Likes (Received)

Once you've got rid of the fleas. A garlic capsule per day gives a natural deterrent.
    x Susan x

Bulldog(s) Names
    jameson and titan
    Likes (Received)

i'm not sure what it's called but when i bought my first house i wasn't aware that it was infested with fleas until i started working in it...by then i had already brought them home and my cats had them...the vet gave me a pill...one dose kills ALL fleas on the pet...u then give them the monthly treatment...now don't forget u have to treat ur house also...most likely they brought them into the house

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Suzy2 View Post
    Once you've got rid of the fleas. A garlic capsule per day gives a natural deterrent.
    So, true.... we feed raw that has garlic added to it. ever since then... no more flea/tick crap on our bullies
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 10-20-2011 at 07:52 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brooklyn and Franklin
    Likes (Received)

The garlic okay for them to eat? I read somewhere that it damages their red blood cells and causes anemia.

Real Name
    Sandra
    Country
    usa
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sarah aka cow
    Likes (Received)

I use frontline on Sarah. I also spray the yard and no fleas. If they have fleas frontline spray will kill them now. I have fed garlic pills to my dogs before. I have heard it can be bad then I've heard its not dunno but never seemed to bother them.

"Slug Assassin" and PBS Gardening Dweeb Vicaroo1000's Avatar
    Real Name
    Vicki
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Beefeater's Buxom Beatrice and Lord Harrington's Bodacious Beauregaard
    Likes (Received)

I used to use shampoo to manage fleas. I started using BioSpot, as suggested to me by my PetPros gal. We had an infestation, courtesy of Grandma's cat, Zuska, and I had to pull out the big guns to protect them. So far, so good.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola
    Likes (Received)

This is an older post but I thought I'd share my recent experience with flea infestation. Lola and our cat, Fuzz, were infested. I tried home remedies, hollistic-type suggestions, bombed our house twice, flea combs, shaved the cat, baths, frontline, and the only thing that worked was Advantage.

the difference between Frontline and Advantage as I understand it, is that Advantage is for fleas only, while Frontline targets fleas and ticks. It was hell. the daily laundry, the daily vacuuming, the constant feeling of things crawling on me....Never dealt with fleas before this. But if I ever have to, at least I found something that works.

this sounds like a commercial

Bulldog(s) Names
    Lamb Chop
    Likes (Received)

I honestly would not reccomend using anything from walmart or other places like that. I would use frontline. It does not go into her system like other products. The stuff at walmart is not really tested or regulated. I have seen some pretty bad reactions to a lot of the cheaper stuff. You should wash her with some Dawn dish soap and make sure it is Dawn! not another type of dish soap. Then wait the 24 or 48 housr as recomended by the frontline labeling then put it on her. Also if they are on her they are most likely on anyother cat or dog in the house so they should be treated. You should also vaccume, vaccume and do more vaccuming! Even the couches and whatever else she has been one. Also I would use the frontline for atleast another month or 2 after the first use to kill the entire life cycle of the fleas!
    Hope whatever you use works! Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads